Author Topic: MIRROR BLADES - interest in low cost sets ?  (Read 28068 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: MIRROR BLADES - interest in low cost sets ?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
Hi Brett,

Regarding the vinyl film from usa (which appears to be nothing more than signwriters vinyl here in oz for $15 a roll).

I'm concerned that being so thin it will contour to all the imperfections of the cabinet side, thus creating a not-so-flat mirror effect, but rather a shimmery/distorted effect, which may or may not be ideal and will differ between users preferences.

While acrylic mirror (perspex) is thick at 3-6mm, there's nothing to stop us from routing the inside of the cabinet wall out, to house the persex, which is about $5 per blade ;-)
A channel could be routed in such a way that the perspex simply drops into a slot, and easily replaced if damaged, in case the ball has access to hit it...
In fact you wouldn't need to lift the playfield, juts slip the top-glass off and drop in 2 new blades and you're done...

just my thoughts, in case it inspires anyone ;-)
MM.

I agree with Marty with the ripple effect.

I wouldn't go to problems of routing your cabinet. You can get 6 sets of SS mirror blades from a sheet including laser cutting costs in total for about $40 a set without any profit on top. Yes if you were going to do 30 sets for yourself it is a small fortune but will look fantastic. SS is under 1mm and they do not leave much room for the playfield to slide by, so even though acrylic would be cheaper and look good it will be too thick.

Just be careful putting this vinyl on your machine and beware if you have to remove it may strip paint with it.

I have a set of Bally / Williams S mirrors and happy to draw up (when time allows) for a laser cut file to share around.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts