Author Topic: Transformer fried!  (Read 2045 times)

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Re: Transformer fried!
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »
Big thanks to Dan (Riverinapinball) coming over after work today and helping me get started with the dead short fault finding.

As expected, the transformer was now toast and smoked with nothing plugged into it when powered on. Dan tested the oddly placed small transformer up the back of the cabinet. It had a short. It was also burned like the main transformer. Maybe it was the first to fail and then the main transformer cooked. The main transformer connected to this via a blue cable and it seems someone has spliced this to the small transformer and then up to the fluoro/ballast in the headbox. The ballast looks like it originated in Europe and was very weathered looking. One of the wires fell out when I lightly pulled on it.

What's next? Going to bypass the small transformer and run directly from the transformer up to the fluoro/ballast. Also going to remove the ballast and replace it with a brand new Australian ballast. Might also replace the fluoro switch for good measure. Dan is going to come back and help me test everything before I purchase and install the new transformer.

I welcome Dan to chime in if I have missed anything and if anyone else has other suggestions. Going to go back through this thread and read all the responses again.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
Here's a picture of the ballast in the headbox.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »
What's next? Going to bypass the small transformer and run directly from the transformer up to the fluoro/ballast. Also going to remove the ballast and replace it with a brand new Australian ballast.
Cheers!
Adam.

Hey Adam,
No need to run the fluro ballast off the transformer, an Aussie one will be 240V so you can run it straight off the mains supply, I am not sure about Sega's but I know Gottliebs have connectors like LAI machines for connecting 240V items on the machine. Make sure you replace the tombstones too.
I would suggest only running the game off the tranny.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2013, 12:37:49 AM »
Thanks, Boots. Good idea. Seems like a good way of cancelling out a fault by not having the fluoro connected to the transformer. I couldn't work out why my South Park didn't have anything connected to the blue cable coming out of the transformer, yet X-Files had the blue wire connected to the small secondary transformer and then up to the fluoro.

What do you mean by the tombstones? Also, how do I run the fluoro off the mains supply?

The game seemed to fire up normally last night other than the faulty transformer and fluoro not plugged in. This is all starting to make sense and a light at the end of the tunnel with the X-Files woes.

$#$

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »
I agree, running the fluoro from the mains bypassing the transformer is way too go.
I can help you with that.
New fluoro ballast and tombstones as suggested , will illiminate  possible fault or future fault, as the existing euro ballast is a bit sus, and slightly under rated at 220v.
 Since the price of these parts is so small.

Adam, i pretty sure , you are well on the way to making this x files a reliable machine again.
Let me know when you new transformer arrives, i can help fit and mod the fluoro. My knowledge of dmds is limited, but growing.
I find my solid states , less complicated.

Remember when i problem occurs. Rather, than replace the faulty device and reconnect. Think why did it fail, is there another fault that has caused this. Inspect and test. Slowly slowly. If you are not sure. We all love a quick fix. These come from experience not luck.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_product_lamp-holder-fluoro-hpm-tombstone-type-screwd-t-cd380_P7053563.aspx

Yeah this is what I mean by tombstones, but I suspect yours ares screwed directly to the back of the backbox, this means you need specific ones that have provision for the screw attaching.
You might not find these at Bunnings.
Just take one of your original ones to an electrical retailer like Lawrence & Hanson or M&M electrical and they should be able to source them for you.
While your at it maybe replace the starter holder too, all these parts should be less than $50.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Excellent help, guys...and thanks again, Dan. Yes, thankfully the fluoro parts are cheap and gives me piece of mind that it no longer needs to be connected to the transformer.

Have purchased a new transformer for South Park this week and will get the new transformer for X-Files in a few weeks. At $350 a pop, it's been an expensive learning experience. Hopefully these transformers will last another 20 years.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »
X-Files update: We're almost there. I bought the replacement ballast, fluoro, starter and tombstones and installed everything last night (thanks to my dad for lending a hand as well).

Today, Dan was nice enough to take time out of his day to come around and wire up the fluoro to the cabinet. We tested it by rigging up an old cable and plugging it into the power point. We discovered the old fluoro tube was gone, but luckily I had a new one ready. It fired up first go. Dan then ran wiring down to the front of the cabinet and connected to the mains supply. We tidied up the wiring in the cabinet and then put the playfield down. Flicked the switch and the fluoro flickered on in X-Files again.

Next step is to get that brand new transformer and install it. It's been a big headache, but a good learning experience. Everyone's patience and input here is much appreciated.

Adam.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2013, 09:54:26 PM »
BIG SUCCESS!!!!

Installed brand new transformer and X-Files is now working again. Fluoro is now separated from the transformer. Also happy to have South Park working again!

Thank you all for your help. Another machine lives to fight another day (the truth is out there?)

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 10:27:45 PM »
Great news Adam. Nothing worse than a broken down pin. Glad to hear there both up and working again.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2013, 11:06:35 PM »
My X-Files is now a brand new machine! Pristine board work and brand new transformer have breathed new life into it.

I now have two burned transformers and wondering are they ready for the tip or sell to a scrap metal dealer? (must be a fair bit of copper wire in them. haha).

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2013, 07:59:12 AM »
I personally would scrap them and any other metal I could find around the house/work. You won't get the top copper price but a lower mixed price maybe around $3 a kilo. Its amazing what they will pay for. On the way to the scrap yard I would stop at a motor re-winders to see if it is economical or possible to rewind them. 

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »
I personally would scrap them and any other metal I could find around the house/work. You won't get the top copper price but a lower mixed price maybe around $3 a kilo. Its amazing what they will pay for. On the way to the scrap yard I would stop at a motor re-winders to see if it is economical or possible to rewind them. 

+1

I would at least look for someone who would be interested in re winding them.

Also, I hope the 240V Ballast mod is fused.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:52 AM »
You could try Altro Transformers in campbellfield they have rewound trannys in the past for me.