Author Topic: Dutch Pinball - 1st Pinball - The Big Lebowski Pinball  (Read 19498 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
I don't have a strong opinion on whether a PC based system is good or not - although i would assume that a dedicated board set would be more efficient at running but more expensive to develop AND at least a dedicated boardset with largely through hole components can be repaired by the hobbyist.

I wouldn't be so sure that Stern is sticking with their boardset. Here is a photo i took earlier in the year of an ACDC premium with a boardset i had never seen before. It was a local guy that bought it for home, and then called me as it was shooting balls out on power up. I assumed it would be a trough switch, but had no idea where to start once i opened it up. There are a heap of under playfield boards linked by network cables - unsure how smart it is to have lots of soldered components near solenoids with lots of vibration.

Old mate ended up being given a replacement machine by AMD, so not sure if this was sent by mistake or not?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
I don't have a strong opinion on whether a PC based system is good or not - although i would assume that a dedicated board set would be more efficient at running but more expensive to develop AND at least a dedicated boardset with largely through hole components can be repaired by the hobbyist.

I wouldn't be so sure that Stern is sticking with their boardset. Here is a photo i took earlier in the year of an ACDC premium with a boardset i had never seen before. It was a local guy that bought it for home, and then called me as it was shooting balls out on power up. I assumed it would be a trough switch, but had no idea where to start once i opened it up. There are a heap of under playfield boards linked by network cables - unsure how smart it is to have lots of soldered components near solenoids with lots of vibration.

Old mate ended up being given a replacement machine by AMD, so not sure if this was sent by mistake or not?

WTF is that?? !@# !@#

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Looks a bit like a rasberry pi or similar....

Was pretty funny that when it was posted it on pinside , they all claimed it was fake!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Looks a bit like a rasberry pi or similar....

Was pretty funny that when it was posted it on pinside , they all claimed it was fake!

Looks completely lost in the header... maybe pinball machines will go back to a more 30's style profile now that technology has shrunk everything down to the size of a pea( apart from my wifes phone which doesn't fit in my pocket)..

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Despite the theme, I am really starting to warm to this title.  ^^^

Just from the video, you can see the build quality of the whole package is outstanding.

The screen technology is ideal for where pinball needs to be to attract the next generation. Not just a single bland red that automatically dates the product to circa 1999 from the get-go, but colourised to catch the attention of those in the immediate vicinity.

Thanks for posting swinks.  *%*

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I think the game looks BRILLIANT although I confess to knowing nothing about the theme.

Using a PC WILL cause the owners of these MASSIVE problems in a few years time. A PC is NOT designed nor is it suitable for this work. It is used as a cheapskates way of building a very SHORT LIFESPAN product.

Let's see how they are all going in a few years and just how easy it will be to swap the mainboard when the RAM/Power Supply/Micro/BIOS/Drives and possibly even the USB/other ports/IO are all DIFFERENT!! Try loading the current operating system onto your replacement mainboard.......it isn't going to happen!!!

People will be scrambling to buy up old PCs to swipe the mainboard from (if in fact they are still functional anyway).

Big BIG mistake IMO.

Stern have got it right as did WMS all those years ago - how simple is it even for a reasonably unskilled (electronically speaking) person to repair a WMS mainboard or send it out and have it repaired for $80?

I just shake my head in wonder at how so many can be deceived by this......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Dutch Pinball - 1st Pinball - The Big Lebowski Pinball
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
I think the game looks BRILLIANT although I confess to knowing nothing about the theme.

Using a PC WILL cause the owners of these MASSIVE problems in a few years time. A PC is NOT designed nor is it suitable for this work. It is used as a cheapskates way of building a very SHORT LIFESPAN product.

Let's see how they are all going in a few years and just how easy it will be to swap the mainboard when the RAM/Power Supply/Micro/BIOS/Drives and possibly even the USB/other ports/IO are all DIFFERENT!! Try loading the current operating system onto your replacement mainboard.......it isn't going to happen!!!

People will be scrambling to buy up old PCs to swipe the mainboard from (if in fact they are still functional anyway).

Big BIG mistake IMO.

Stern have got it right as did WMS all those years ago - how simple is it even for a reasonably unskilled (electronically speaking) person to repair a WMS mainboard or send it out and have it repaired for $80?

I'll never buy one of these or similar because of what you have mentioned Mike :) just scares the shit out of me I'll stick with the Stern or similar set up.

pinsanity can tell us how reliable his machine is that's if he buys one lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Big BIG mistake IMO.

I'll never buy one of these or similar because of what you have mentioned Mike :) just scares the shit out of me I'll stick with the Stern or similar set up.

+1

Considering I run a business, I avoid Pinball2000 games due to the PC based problems. Coming from an IT background - PCs are PCs. They are designed to be replaced after 3 months. Technology changes. I would never buy a PC based pinball.

The build on this game is VERY good, but the PC is a huge letdown.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Here we go again  @.@. It is a pinball machine first and foremost, it WILL break! PC based or not.
We are freaks and WILL find a way to fix it regardless. It is what it is. Let's play. Looks like a A LOT of FUN to me and good one to those who bought or are considering to buy.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:

We fear what we don't understand.  <.>

This is the way forward for pinball.

Here we go again  @.@. It is a pinball machine first and foremost, it WILL break! PC based or not.
We are freaks and WILL find a way to fix it regardless. It is what it is. Let's play. Looks like a A LOT of FUN to me and good one to those who bought or are considering to buy.

Hear, hear.

I currently have a Predator preorder but at the end of the day it is still old tech that will look obsolete sitting next to my WoZ. It is bad enough having to look at single colour orange and red displays sitting next to a machine with a ColorDMD installed.

Anyone interested in a Predator preorder slot for $3000US? Single colour orange DMD.  %.%
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:19:35 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

Pinball 2000 cannot be repaired no matter what you do - they are being parted out because of the PC issues ONLY!!!

It is a shame but it must be realised the only reason these machines have big colour screens is because it's dead easy to run an AVI etc. on a PC - that isn't the entire story and I'm saddened that people are not seeing this.

I could very easily have followed this same path and things would have been far easier and much faster to production but wait a couple of years and let's see who is in front then...........

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:

We fear what we don't understand.  <.>

This is the way forward for pinball.

Massive WRONG! We know exactly how unreliable PC mainboards are and if this is the way forward for pinball then expect to be throwing your new machines away after a few years IMO

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth

Pinball 2000 cannot be repaired no matter what you do - they are being parted out because of the PC issues ONLY!!!

It is a shame but it must be realised the only reason these machines have big colour screens is because it's dead easy to run an AVI etc. on a PC - that isn't the entire story and I'm saddened that people are not seeing this.

I could very easily have followed this same path and things would have been far easier and much faster to production but wait a couple of years and let's see who is in front then...........
and theres the pitch, me, me, me! its meant to be fun Mike, Jesus, stop harshing stuff others do! I like what you are doing but sometimes your opinions are not warranted. you need to work on how you come across Dude, you are not a messiah and why should you be saddened by others not seeing your way?
People WILL find a way to fix it regardless.
If you are right, you are right. WGAF!
Sorry man but sometimes you just sxxt me with your higher than though attitude.

Theme is a KILLER and the game looks like ALOT of fun to play and hopefully we will see on site to help revitalise pinball even more.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

My observation draws on the analogy of P2K system VS anything prior.

From a business perspective, I will source ANY machines I can get my hands on. Six years ago, I was importing EMs - No other importer would go near them. They are 40+ years old - but I can still get the parts to restore any EM from any era.

Solid States - Don't care - Zaccaria, Gameplan, Bally, Williams and ESPECIALLY Gottlieb. There is NO game that cannot be revived.

P2K - Dead MPU / Missing Prism / burnt monitors.. These are proprietary systems. Yes - GREAT technology - but NOT sustainable.

APR has an inventory of over 200 pinball machines (and 80 coming). Of this inventory, there is ONE SINGLE SWEP1 - and I bought this game because my son loved Star Wars.

Bottom line - the assumption that P2K "ca be fixed" is not entirely correct. Just ask the crew at Newcore - P2K's savior. Need a playfield glass ? I can get a standard for $40. P2K will cost $400..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia