Author Topic: Bally Fathom Restoration - Number Two  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Fathom Restoration - Number Two
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
watched a lot of your work over the years,bumped into you in Geelong@ Dan's. You have always done a great job + shown  others your tips on how to do.Your old man must be proud of your work. Hope one day to buy one of your machines. Keep on showing us these restores. cheers

Dad passed on a lot of his knowledge. Most of my techniques were originally his in terms of a machine's operation. The cabinet repainting was his knowledge, as I had to learn from experience. It was not easy, but I'm confident I've learnt as much as I can. I've been very busy over the last 6 months, but I'll be finding more time to document restoration work.

I am really surprised that a white under coat is not used in-between colors to stop colors bleeding into each other.
Do you add a flattering base to correct the finish?
What type of paint do you use?
I am really impressed how nice the restoration has turned out.
I will be checking out more of your threads here for sure.  

I've never used a white undercoat. I use Protech automotive acrylics which I've found give the best results. Not cheap paint, but if used correctly the results are almost "factory".

Regarding the finish - I take the cabinet I'm repainting to a professional paint shop to have not only the color matched, but the finish. The "tinting" and the "finish" is done at the same time and is checked before I buy the paint. I guess in this case, the paint guy started with a flat base - I'm not sure - but all three colors are a perfect match and finish to the factory finish. It is not cheap, but I'm a purist.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia