Author Topic: Bally Dr Who Restoration  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Bally Dr Who Restoration
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »

I've been looking forward to this restore. I was a huge Dr Who fan when I was a kid. Who can forget the 6:00 - 7:00 PM timeslot on ABC Channel 2 ? The Goodies, followed by Dr Who. Classic !

I used to play this game on location. It was in Video Hire shop in Albert Park in the late 90's.

This was a recent import in my last container, and I was thinking of keeping it unless someone asked for it. An AP Member has purchased the game - it is going to a good home  ^^^

Condition Report

Playfield - 8/10 - Looks very good - initially. It has no typical wear, but the factory clearcoat is barely there. It is worn to the point that the serial number is visible in the center of the playfield. The artwork is perfect, but the game will need either mylar or clearcoat applied. I cannot leave it "as is" - More on that later. There are inserts that have peeled off. That will be addressed. Mini playfield will be replaced. Sling plastics replaced.

Cabinet - 8/10 - Color is still there - Reds and yellows are almost always faded. This is not. The front needs repair.

Electronics - 9/10 - All good. I will upgrade and bullet proof as I go along.

The Game is in working order, and it is complete.

"Before" pictures

Here's a section that needs to be rectified. I've seen far worse, but some of the chipped areas need to be removed and cleared.

Mini Playfield - Straight into the bin !

Inserts need to be replaced

Mini playfield removed. This is by far the most intricate "toy" or feature on any game. The entire ruleset revolves around this mechanism working properly. It will be stripped and I will replace the usually worn bearings, and ensure that it is working perfectly.

Bearings - Very tired !

This game will get the "full treatment"

End of part 1 !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Bally Dr Who Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:48:28 PM »
Well done Nino.
Dr Who is a great game. Belting the rear target banks during gameplay and having that rise n fall from the playfield is a very cool toy/feature.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:53:20 PM »
I will be following this thread, as i too am a pretty big Dr Who fan and also played the game on location  *%*

I was a huge Dr Who fan when I was a kid. Who can forget the 6:00 - 7:00 PM timeslot on ABC Channel 2 ? The Goodies, followed by Dr Who. Classic !

Same.. used to watch the Goodies then Dr Who religiously  *%*

Offline tura67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Holland / the Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 04:51:56 AM »
This might be helpfull: http://members.home.nl/gabriel/The%20Doctor%20Who%20Mini%20Playfield%20v1.2.pdf

Helped me out when I restored mine.
Pins: SS, T2, LOTR           Gone: Dr Who

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
This might be helpfull: http://members.home.nl/gabriel/The%20Doctor%20Who%20Mini%20Playfield%20v1.2.pdf

Helped me out when I restored mine.

what an awesome reference ! Thanks for the link  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »

Some Cabinet work. The inside of the cabinet was cleaned, repaired and repainted (on the inside). The lock down bar is stripped and polished. New decals installed.

Door is scratched and will need to be repainted. This door is painted a flat black with a gloss black "speckle". Really easy to achieve after experimenting.

When repainting a door, I rebuild the door and replace anything broken. To achieve a professional finish, there are no shortcuts. The finish to the door is almost exactly the same as a brand new door. I have a NEW door to compare this against, and it is very close !

Here's the reason why this restoration came to a grinding halt. The inserts simply looked bad and I could not put my name on this game without attending to it. I had my clearcoat guy check out the playfield and he noticed that the factory clear was so thin, you could see the serial number stamped into the playfield ! I had no idea they did this during production. Thankfully, his advice was crucial to the next step.

1 - Remove the decals and replace with a new set and then place mylar on the playfield

or

2 - Remove the inserts, level them and then place non laminted decal inserts and finally clear the playfield.

The customer  <..> and I weighed up the advantages and disadvantages, and I believe we made the right decision - CLEARCOAT !  ^^^

Although this represented a large amount of time to prepare, I was happy to spend the additional hours (not factored into the restoration) to achieve a really nice result.

Here's the wear that I'm referring to (the camera shots really highlight how bad it is. It is not this bad in person);

Each insert affected was removed one by one. Then the insert was sanded with 600 grit wet / dry and and residue on the insert and the insert hole was removed.

Then each insert was re inserted and levelled ;

The damaged area in front of the time expander was repaired. I've touched up the area - even though this will be covered with a Cliffy, It STILL needs to be repaired or the Cliffy will take the shape of the damaged area. This is another "pet hate" of mine - Using Cliffys to cover up damaged outholes - That is NOT what they should be used for. The outholes SHOULD be repaired, and then a Cliffy installed to prevent further wear.

The rest of the playfield will be dis assembled, and then it is off to be clearcoated. A quick clear to "seal" the work, and then I'll place the insert decals before a final clear is applied. Worth the extra effort in my opinion  ^^^

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 06:29:15 AM »
Great Thread!

Thanks for sharing,

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »
Nice work so far mate  ^^^

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
Great work Nino. I cant wait to see the finished product. I am sure the customer will be over the moon with it  $#$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »

Looking sweet mate, this is a game I have never played, hard to believe, gotta find one to try!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »
Looking good Nino. This is a game I can see in my collection someday, my wife loves it too.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 12:43:16 AM »
Will be great to see this after your magic Nino. Everyone I've seen have been pretty poor condition.  I remember playing it on location back in the day and was a great game

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 09:31:56 AM »
Will be great to see this after your magic Nino. Everyone I've seen have been pretty poor condition.  I remember playing it on location back in the day and was a great game

I've seen some bad ones too, Daniel. I remember one game that had all the inserts in front of the time expander sunken so bad that when a ball rolled over the area, it launched into the plastic. The inserts and worn edges were more like ramps ! An underrated game - I enjoy the open playfield. A lot of older guys like me like the playfield layout !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »
it's a great game, and one to be very careful purchasing. The mini PF is frought with potential issues, and there is nothing easy about removing it, and servicing (for most of us anyway).

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 09:45:20 PM »
Great game. I can't wait to see the end result.
Dr who would be a great theme for a pinball remake. Not sure on how popular it would be in the US though.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)