Author Topic: How do I decide what my first real pinball purchase should be?  (Read 2594 times)

Offline phreak97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
How do I decide what my first real pinball purchase should be?
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:46:48 PM »
Ok so I’ve just sold a classic car that I’ve owned for over a decade, I now have about $12k at my disposal. I want to buy a pinball machine but I’m struggling to make the decision. DMDs are where my nostalgia lies but should I limit myself to those?
I had hoped to only spend about $3k but I’m getting the feeling that’s not enough, even if I buy a project.
I have a couple of titles in mind but do I wait for one to come up? Or do I buy something else in the mean time?
How do I know if people’s asking prices are reasonable? It’s not like I can jump on ebay completed listings like I do with my game console stuff.
Help! Haha

Offline Limorange

• Forum Posts:
Projects do come up now and then, just not often these days. Which titles do you have in mind?

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
I would recommend getting on forums like this often, and also joining some of the facebook pinball buy, swap, sell pages as these days you need to be quick to get a decent priced pinball.

4 years or so ago 3k would have got you a nice DMD, but sadly those days are gone. They are at least 5k for a nice DMD now.

I would not limit yourself to DMD, I would also advise going to some meets if you can to meet some pinball people and play some games to get an idea what you like. Pinball is very subjective, what you love some may not like at all.

If you do not know much about pinball i would take someone who does with you to go over it to make sure it is a solid purchase, while buying a pinny can be fun it can also be costly if you let your heart rule your head.

I would advise going through some sold pinball threads on forums to get an idea on prices, but only go by the last 3 to 4 years tops! Go any further back and you will get depressed.  %.%

Hope that is helpful.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:03:57 AM by Cursed »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
First thing to do is NOT impulse buy. Take your time. Play as many titles as you can to arrive at a shortlist. Join FB "Buy and Sell" groups and follow sales and pricing. Go to your local dealers and play some of their games. Once you have a shortlist, do take someone with you with knowledge to assist in what to look for and pricing. You will have to increase your funds to buy a decent DMD. It might be worth buying a working game, or working project as your first pin as you learn. ask as many questions as you need to - we are all here to help each other !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Can’t really add to what’s already been said but with your price range you could still get yourself a good EM or solid state game and in my opinion your probably better off starting at one of these that way you can step up to a DMD later on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phreak97

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
I would very much like a Gottlieb Stargate, I thought being a Gottlieb Premier would make it more affordable but it seems pretty on par with most of the other mid range DMDs.
I have worked as an arcade tech before so I can tell the condition for myself but deciding the value is the hard part. I also have not played too many different pins and having two young kids means pinball nights on the other side of town are out. There are no pinball dealers close by. I do want to try out some more if I can though.
Can anyone suggest some specific pinball groups on facebook?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
I would very much like a Gottlieb Stargate, I thought being a Gottlieb Premier would make it more affordable but it seems pretty on par with most of the other mid range DMDs.
I have worked as an arcade tech before so I can tell the condition for myself but deciding the value is the hard part. I also have not played too many different pins and having two young kids means pinball nights on the other side of town are out. There are no pinball dealers close by. I do want to try out some more if I can though.

You can't go wrong with a GTB SYS3 like Stargate. Awesome pinball. VERY reliable platform and parts readily available. FB groups - you need a "buy and Sell" group ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline phreak97

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide

You can't go wrong with a GTB SYS3 like Stargate. Awesome pinball. VERY reliable platform and parts readily available. FB groups - you need a "buy and Sell" group ?

Yeah I’ve heard most Gottliebs are garbage players though so I’ve been avoiding them. I have first hand experience to say Stargate is great though.
Yeah I’m just trying to find as many pinball buy/sell groups as possible.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
I've bought some really nice condition DMD's in the last year for under 4k.

Got a really beautiful Hurricane that looks and plays like new.

And for under 5k your options open right up

An excellent condition Whirlwind.
Very nice Tommy and the same with his brother Tales From the Crypt.
A Premier, although mines Street Fighter II

Make some friends on the forum and i've found that people will contact you and offer what i can only believe are gifts they are passing along.

PinballPeopleAreCoolPunkin

Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline Guy with a Pinball

• Forum Posts:
Where in Adelaide are you?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk