Author Topic: Passing of a AP member  (Read 21559 times)

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re: Passing of a AP member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »
Sad news and all our condolences to the families. Your write up carries something special about Chippy that will last a long time. I am sure that Cosmic Princess has more significance for you than what we can imagine.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline pinwaz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • clackers
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 02:14:57 PM »
RIP Chippy,
All pinball lovers in the west send our best wishes at this sad time,
Goodluck with cosmic princess resto,brillant tribute to chippy's love of pinball and life.

Regards pinwaz,pinnipop and rest of the Perth Pinball Restores and Collectors Group
Pinball its more than just a game

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 04:58:17 PM »
RIP, Chippy.

I have a pin that a close friend left to me, and it's never leaving. It's a great reminder of our friendship and a shared hobby.

You don't get many really, really good friends in life.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Nearly 6 years later I have finally made some progress, although it was a case of 1 step forward 2 back.
I had put this WAY on the back burner thinking I would need to make my own stencils up, not something I was looking forward to. Luckily Pinball pimp had made them up, I was very surprised as there were only 336 units made and I would be surprised if any machines ended up in the USA. Anyway i counted my lucky stars and jumped on them.
Chippy had painted the cab blue but had left a few little dings and scratches, so I decided to use spot putty to fill all the little imperfections. I didn’t realise I would have to re prime almost the whole cabinet to lock in the spray putty, apparently it can draw in the colour and bleed through.
It was at this point that I should have stripped the whole cab back to bare wood but more on that later.
So I laid some blue back on and applied the first stencil. Yellow went on pretty well although to get coverage on dark blue I had to apply a little more paint than I would have liked. Made a slight edge when I peeled the stencil off that I had to run my finger over to remove, not ideal a couple of little touch ups by hand but all pretty good.  A small chip of blue came away when removing the first stencil, very disappointing. I thought maybe Dale had missed prepping a small section of the bare wood or primer. I touched it up by hand and hoped that was the end of it but boy was I wrong. When I removed the second stencil a massive chunk came away all the way to the base undercoat. f**k! Then I removed the other side another massive chunk F**K!
I realised at that point I should have stripped back to bare wood.  Unfortunately somewhere along the line the paint Dale applied had not keyed to the timber or undercoat, maybe it hadn’t been rubbed back, not sure anyway now I had two massive f**kups to fix and a small one on the side of the back box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:11:13 PM by ktm450 »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Passing of a AP member - Cosmic Princess Restoration
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 08:28:53 PM »
Anyway after a lot of swearing it came out ok, and is hardly noticeable. I really wanted to start again but after a few hundred in stencils and automotive paint I had to make do. Now to get the electronics going and need to find a knocker and a beehive shooter setup. HopefullyNino has the shooter and if Dan doesn’t have a knocker for me I’ll just fit one of the ones off Nino’s website.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:12:01 PM by ktm450 »

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
So I need one of these knocker assemblies in the cab and all the parts of this drawing for shooter

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:13:41 PM by ktm450 »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 10:06:39 PM »
That kind of paint separation can be due to a number of things. If the stripped cabinet was sanded with a high grit, the undercoat has nothing to bite into. Also, the first coat of undercoat should be thin, so that the next coat "binds" properly. The completed undercoat should sit (acrylic) for 24 hours and any reaction observed before sanding 800 Grit (highest), and then I like to pass the air gun over the top to see if there's any lift. Next, the base - which is mist then heavier. Let the cab bake in the sun. Then do the stencil colors.
It appears the base had nothing to bite into. But as you have found out - sometimes walking away and having a think how to fix the issue is the best course of action. You did a great job with the repairs.
Knocker - I might have THE VERY knocker that came out of Dad's Cosmic Princess - Donated to your project. The beehive housing / hardware we have new and the plunger itself - I'll need the measurement - we might have an original Stern hanging around. They were a dull aluminum finish.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 10:27:56 PM »
Wow, awesome mate, I’ll work out anything else I need and send you a PM, so you can work out a price for me. Unfortunately I don’t have the original plunger. I could probably guesstimate it with the playfield in position. Or someone with a Stern of the era with beehive housing may be able to measure for me.
Yes I was thinking maybe a sanding issue, as he used good quality automotive paint. But maybe he went too thick on the first undercoat. One of those things, I just couldn’t tell by looking at the blue that was already applied. Once touched up and partially hidden by the side rails your eyes are not drawn to it, so I doubt anyone would notice unless pointed out. I’m pretty happy with the result.

Offline Quench

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 03:25:31 AM »
Unfortunately I don’t have the original plunger. I could probably guesstimate it with the playfield in position. Or someone with a Stern of the era with beehive housing may be able to measure for me.

I'll visit my Cosmic Princess in storage today and measure the shooter rod for you - will report back.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 08:49:39 AM »
Looking sweet so far and nice work saving the lifted paint.. can't even tell it happened looking at the after pics  ^^^

You're making me wanna repaint my own Cosmic Bitch (thats what CP is known as around here)  :lol

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 09:20:33 AM »
Unfortunately I don’t have the original plunger. I could probably guesstimate it with the playfield in position. Or someone with a Stern of the era with beehive housing may be able to measure for me.

I'll visit my Cosmic Princess in storage today and measure the shooter rod for you - will report back.

Thanks Quench, I’ll have a look at the paint codes I have today and let you know those. The red and yellow are the paint shop tint colours without anything else in them. I didn’t have anything to go off and the tints are true red and true yellow so I just used them. But the blue is a decent match for my original cab colour so I’ll have a look at the tin and get back to you.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
Looking sweet so far and nice work saving the lifted paint.. can't even tell it happened looking at the after pics  ^^^

You're making me wanna repaint my own Cosmic Bitch (thats what CP is known as around here)  :lol

Thanks mate :lol

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
Quench, these are the colour codes I used. You would need 1lt of the blue though if you were painting the whole cab. They are Spartan automotive finishes.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
Looks great mate.   I’ll try look for the knocker and shooter bits when I get home next week

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »
Looking great Matt
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”