Author Topic: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!  (Read 22108 times)

Offline bossgp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Re: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
Good stuff so far, keep up the great work !

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2010, 02:00:40 PM »
I recon it would be a waste of money buying a back glass after seeing how good this looks.
Like you most of my restores involves repairing what I can, rather than replacing.
Keep the PIC"S coming!

Offline Bayview

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »
great job with the TT. Looks good. @@*
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2010, 12:49:06 AM »
THE WORK HAS BEGUN!!!!

Now that the wildfyre pf is finally gone  $#$ i can finally start on my holy grail pin resto  #*# #*# #*#

Martin, my mate who owns the wildfyre pf, came over this afternoon, to collect his pf, and for a few games on KISS before i dismantled it  :lol
anyway after several games where i flogged him about three games in a row, he promptly whipped my arse on the last game the bastard!

well anyway after we loaded his PF into the car, he offered me a hand to load the KISS pf onto the rotisserie, which i took him up on, so i had the Kiss pf unplugged and mounted onto the jig in no time. He then hung around most of the afternoon and helped me to strip the topside of the PF of all of its parts, which went pretty quick with the two of us  *%*

anyway after that i barely had time to grab the camera for a few "before" pics of the grubby pf, when Martin, went nuts with the Nifti and rag, so the pics you see here, he has cleaned the bottom half of the pf, and i stopped him so i could take some pics  :lol

As i mentioned the top half hasnt been cleaned and the bottom has in these pics.

I had already started chasing up some of the parts not long after i got the machine, 4th pic shows some of the new parts i have so far... bumper caps, bumper bodies and skirts, new drop targets and a new shooter rod, most of the parts came from PSPA, except the bumper caps (and a KISS manual) which came from Bumper Action.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2010, 01:05:48 AM »
next i started on the painful job of mylar removal, the part i definitely hate doing most!!
This pf had three areas covered with mylar, the main lower section between the flippers and bumpers, around the bumpers them selves, and the top arch area.
1st pic is after the clean up, mentioned in the previous post,
2nd pic shows the top arch area half way thru mylar removal. Notice too the haze from the test cleanup with magic eraser and isocol, (got a bit ahead of myself)  :lol
i didnt get any pics of the lower section mylar coming off, but the 3rd pic shows the bonus area, where some paint DID come up, i knew that SOME paint would lift, i was VERY careful and took my time removing the mylar, i was just hoping that it wouldnt happen in this area  ^&^ ^&^, as the bonus insert area was the one part i was most concerned about paint lifting... and making the job harder for me  !!!, not impossible, just a bit more work than i had hoped i wouldnt have to do.. anyhoo, it could've been a LOT worse i guess!!

And while i was removing the mylar, Martin decided to give the plastics a bit of a cleanup with some warm water and detergent, they came up pretty good, and will look even better with a polish up.. I'm pretty happy that the plastics are still in nice shape, and wont need to be replaced!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 01:09:43 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2010, 01:14:48 AM »
just a few more pics for now... top arch section after cleaning off of the mylar glue and some cleaning with Magic Eraser and isocol, and some worn areas around the bumpers that i will have to repaint..

stay tuned for further updates!!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2010, 10:14:14 AM »
WHITE SPIRIT from paint section in hardware store will lift MYLAR and leave the most fragile of paint on the PF still. It dissolves the glue for a short while enabling you to lift it bit by bit. Takes some time but is the best method i know of to remove the stuff

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
WHITE SPIRIT from paint section in hardware store will lift MYLAR and leave the most fragile of paint on the PF still. It dissolves the glue for a short while enabling you to lift it bit by bit. Takes some time but is the best method i know of to remove the stuff

Thanks for the tip Gavin, i still have a lot of the glue to remove, im about to go out and get stuck into it real soon  *%*
Might have to have a look for white spirit while im out and about later

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2010, 10:32:48 AM »

White spirits is something I always have on hand, its great stuff

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2010, 10:37:32 AM »

Thanks for the tip Gavin, i still have a lot of the glue to remove, im about to go out and get stuck into it real soon  *%*
Might have to have a look for white spirit while im out and about later

Make sure it is White Spirit that you get... is used as a thinner for enamel paints and a hardware worker will tell you that Turps and White Spirit are the same... they are 2 completely different things when it comes to glue removal as Turps wont touch it

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2010, 11:16:42 AM »
This game is going to look sweet once you've worked your magic Mitch  *%*

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
Make sure it is White Spirit that you get... is used as a thinner for enamel paints and a hardware worker will tell you that Turps and White Spirit are the same... they are 2 completely different things when it comes to glue removal as Turps wont touch it

The solvents I usually try when removing adhesive are White Spirits, Metho, acetone and Turps, and it depends on the composition of the adhesive as to which works and which doesn't.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Bayview

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Hervey Bay. Qld.
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2010, 01:14:56 PM »
White Spirits ISN'T Oil based. Turps is. White Spirits is good to clean with b4 painting / etching etc also.
Must be exciting to be working on your Holy Grail pin ^^^
Ya just gotta luv an EM.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2010, 12:21:00 AM »
yepp definitely exciting working on the machine i most wanted for all those years!!

I went to bunnings for some supplies, and bought some white spirits to try on the mylar glue, although it worked ok, i ended up going back to Prepsol, as im used to using it for glue removal.

i made some pretty good progress today with it and took a few pics, even managed to start airbrushing the bonus insert area.. despite the shitty cold and wet weather here! i have sanded the paint back and i need to air brush on another light coat to even it out again, will do that tomorrow after work.

Will post pics tomorrow night!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2010, 09:12:14 AM »

I use shellite if the glue is still soft and easily removed. For stubborn residue, I use Goof Off - also available at Bunnings. Be VERY careful with this product. It's biggest advantage is that it easily removes residue, but it's disadvantage is that the fumes are really bad, and you need to be careful as it can lift paint if you let it settle for too long.

Shellite (White Spirits) is also called Naptha in the USA.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia