Author Topic: Gottlieb Jacks Open  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Jacks Open
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 12:05:55 AM »
Coool,
was flicking through the resto threads for some tips and glad I went back this far to see this gem.
I have a few questions if you can help please Nino for a very overdue for resto 1971 - Gottlieb 2001.
I plan on taking forever on this, so I am not rushing. Will do a complete profile like yours when nearing completion.

1. What do you use to clean/polish all the internal metal work on steppers, score reels, relays etc. etc. is there a chemical product for ease of use?
2.How can I colour match to original cabinet/playfield colours?
3.Can you name a very good supplier of old gottlieb parts as I also need to tickle up my High Hand while doing this?
4.Do you suggest reflowing all solder joints or is this not too relevant as it is non-electronic?

I appreciate any input by yourself or anyone so, feel free to answer and give as much advice as possible - just take your time as this is a very long term project
Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy - you dug out a very old restoration, but I'm glad it was useful as a reference.

1 - Cleaning and polishing metal parts. Rebuilding steppers is covered in detail on a few threads, but the final polish is usually with Brasso. You can also use autosol. Just about every part is put through the tumbler first.
2 - Color match is done by professionals. I take the exposed original paintwork to a paint supplier to color match "on the spot". I buy in bulk for future use. The original colors are usually behind the coin door striker plate or the door frame.
3 - Greg at RTBB (www.rtbb.com.au) is stocking more and more Gottlieb parts. for game specific, go to Pinball Resource (www.pbresource.com).
4 - I rarely resolder EMs. I reflow coils, but that is about it !

:D
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia