Author Topic: Gottlieb Hulk lights and spinner switch  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Gottlieb Hulk lights and spinner switch
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:16:42 AM »
Hi Guys,

I’m after some advice on a couple of small issues on my Gottlieb Hulk. I have a couple of lights out and looking at the rust on the globe holder I’m sure that’s all it is but I’m not sure how to go about replacing the holder as its part of a bank (first picture below). Any guidance would be appreciated.

The next is a little simpler. What is a good replacement for this type of globe holder (pictured with the yellow inserts below)? I have one that’s a bit sensitive that I’d like to change out.

Finally, I have an issue with the spinner where it only registers intermittently. Usually the first spin I get a read and then not much more for the rest of the game. Maybe 1 in 10 hits. The contacts look fine and I’ve given them a clean-up already. Where to look next?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:18:21 AM by Crashramp »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Hulk lights and spinner switch
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
I'm sure that the Genie had a similar lamp strip. Just replace the entire strip with single lamp holders. I use A-2915 / A-2916.

Spinner could be the switch as simple as an adjustment - usually if the contacts are too close, then it registers the first spin and not the rest. Could also be the 1N914 Switch matrix capacitor for the spinner.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
Thanks Nino, I’ll check and see what globe holders I have at home. Otherwise you’ll see an order in.  ^^^

I also didn’t think about the gap being too close on the spinner. I’ll see how it behaves after adjustment.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
Good news, I had some A-2916 holders so I promptly swapped out the wrong one and burnt through a wire with the soldering iron. All in all a very successful repair.   *.*   %.%

Anyway tonight wasn’t my night, I fixed the wire and i’m back to where I started ready to try again. I think I’ll leave it to the weekend, hopefully my brains working better then.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 09:23:11 PM »
All fixed and working, including the replacement cabinet switch from my other help thread (game was stuck on and had to be turned off at the power point).
Thanks again for the advice Nino.  ^^^