Author Topic: AFM opto problem  (Read 212 times)

Offline Chad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
AFM opto problem
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »
when shooting the ball thru the flying saucer and it goes under the playfield, the ball is not detected and sits under the playfield until it goes into ball search mode and then the ball is returned to the playfield, this happen every time. I think the problem is with the opto on the left hand popper assembly not detecting the ball, how do I test the opto to see if it's working.

Also the left hand popper seems to be too strong in that when it returns the ball to the left hand ramp on most occasions the ball will bounce off the ramp and back down the popper, is there any way of adjusting the strength of the popper ?

Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:15:04 PM by Chad »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: AFM optp problem
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »

Can you check the markings on the coil? It might be incorrect for the unit.

For the opto, I usually check for any broken wires as they are quite light gauge, then reflow the solder first as its quick and easy and 90% of the time I have found cold solder joints on optos to be the culprit. While there, with a qtip and some windex, gently clean the sender and receiver in case one is dirty and check in the switch edge test if it registers when the ball is dropped in.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline casperthefriendly

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:18:15 PM »
when shooting the ball thru the flying saucer and it goes under the playfield, the ball is not detected and sits under the playfield until it goes into ball search mode and then the ball is returned to the playfield, this happen every time. I think the problem is with the opto on the left hand popper assembly not detecting the ball, how do I test the opto to see if it's working.

When an opto fails very often it is the IR transmitter that dies - the receiver is normally OK. You can test the transmitter by using a digital camera (i.e. a mobile phone) - a working transmitter will glow purple on the camera preview screen (the camera "sees" a wider spectrum that the human eye and picks up IR). You can check a known working opto to see what you should be looking for, it's fairly obvious though.

If you find that you need to replace the transmitter, you can get replacements from nearly all the usual places - just buy the board, rather than ones with the plastic housing. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can take the the blown IR transmitter off and replace it with one from Jaycar. I once fixed a friends table by scavenging an IR transmitter from an old TV remote - 18 months and 2,000 plays later, it's still good! ;)

Also the left hand popper seems to be too strong in that when it returns the ball to the left hand ramp on most occasions the ball will bounce off the ramp and back down the popper, is there any way of adjusting the strength of the popper ?

Check that you've got the right coil installed there - assuming you do, check that you've also got the right spring in the popper - a missing or weaker spring might not be providing enough resistance.

HTH

Offline Chad

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
Found the problem, the opto transmitter has a broken leg on the LED, off to jaycar to get a replacement

thanks for the replies

Offline Chad

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
replaced the opto transmitter with one from jaycar and it's now working  $#$  $#$ $#$

checked the coil and it's the correct one, found a screw loose that holds the left ramp under the left popper, tighten it up and now the ball bounce off the ramp and back down the popper maybe once every ten times instead of on most occasions
how do I check to see if I have the correct spring installed ?

anyway it's time to get back to saving earth again from those martians, lol  %.%

Offline casperthefriendly

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
how do I check to see if I have the correct spring installed ?

Check the manual for the part number, then look through the parts diagrams to see if you can find the same part on a working soleniod to compare.

Alternatively, just get a new spring with your next parts order and try that. They're pretty cheap.