Author Topic: Gottlieb Free Fall High End Restoration  (Read 9162 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Free Fall High End Restoration
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:29:25 PM »
As referred to earlier and on the "Sky Jump" thread, this game is owned by the same collector. Both these machines must be pristine once restored. Wade Krauss did a run of Repro "Sky Jump" playfields, and the "Sky Jump" will have one of these installed. But that left his machine with an original playfield that would need a serious amount of restoration, which I would have done, but it would have taken a VERY long time. I tried to twist Wade's arm into producing a "Free Fall" playfield, but that did not happen. Time passed, and I contacted Wade about a "seconds Sky Jump" for possible conversion to "Free Fall". That would include some artwork changes and an extra insert.

Geoff from "Pinball Perfection" started doing some work for me and his playfield restoration skills were brilliant. I had already received the "Seconds Sky Jump", and it sat there for quite some time before I asked Geoff's opinion. He took on the job, and cleared both playfields so that they would have EXACTLY the same finish. All I can say is that this photos of the three playfields is "Jaw Dropping" to say the very least ;

Yes - it is a BIG photo - But it is the only way to truly appreciate the workmanship !

On the Left - The Wade Krauss "Sky Jump" repro "firsts" that has been clearcoated and ready for installation.

In the Middle - The Wade Krauss "Sky Jump" repro "seconds" AFTER conversion to "Free Fall" by Geoff and then cleared.

On the right - The original "Free Fall" playfield.

Photos ;

Cleared "Sky Jump"

Cleared "Free Fall"

Centre artwork on "Sky Jump "

Centre artwork changed for "Free Fall"

RHS Rollover section on "Sky Jump"

RHS Section modified for "Free Fall"

Side By Side Comparison with the exact same Clearcoat ;

As everyone is well aware, restorations are not all about finishing the project as soon as possible. In this type of work, patience is your ally. The way these projects are coming together, is proof. When collectors / customers truly appreciate this type of effort and result, it makes all the waiting time worth it.

Special thanks to Wade and Geoff for making this happen.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:25:02 PM by Strangeways »
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia