Author Topic: 2013 Pinball Show - where would the best place be  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

You need the right people on a committee who are ALL dedicated to getting things done and not just talking about it. A well functioning committee can really achieve things quickly and get things off the ground if everyone commits to doing their bit and actually follows through.

This is where the problem lies. They need to follow through, rather than just talking about it. As Wotto mentioned, there was a lot of work done by a couple of committee members, and the rest sat on their hands. Sleeves need to be rolled up and a plan drawn up.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Since it is Adelaide, and there are many collectors in both Adelaide and Melbourne, it shld be no problem for someone down that way to organise something with their machines.  ** Obviously no one would expect people from the furthest possible location QLD to committ to a Adelaide event when there are so many people nearby who could do it at a third of the cost and time, than people like us who are 35 plus hours away.

Gav, I would prefer to take 40 machines somewhere in QLD than a few machines on such a HUGE travel. It would be fun, but it doesnt make sense when there are so many machines in Melb/Adelaide. Would I fly to it with you, yes, no problem, that would be great fun mate. When it comes to a QLD event, I will be there in 100 percent support with everything I have, plus more.

**If the Melbourne guys want to organise something with the Adelaide guys, it would be a great idea for Comicon. Someone down that way needs to put their hand up sooner than later and be committe chief, and get a few fellow AP people involved who want to contribute. 
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Someone down that way needs to put their hand up sooner than later and be committe chief, and get a few fellow AP people involved who want to contribute.  

Yeah – look , I think that’s the key at this very early stage.

A couple of Adelaide guys need to contact the lady at Comic Con and just find out EXACTLY what is involved in getting involved.
Who knows – she might say “yeah its $5000.00 to become part of it” and then there goes that idea / then again she may say its free for exhibitors – who knows.
Make a call – get a stack of information from her and then make some decisions.

But if someone just steps up and starts investigating this with her then it could/ might happen and at least the hobby would know where it stands in relation to this ‘angle’.
If successful , then this can roll on and potentially develop ( over time ) into other Comic Con shows and become a model for future events ( possibly )
Then again it could flounder and fail dismally – but we will never know unless someone has a crack at it.

My own initial thoughts are that  I would think that a commercial guy needs to head this up ( a Stern distributor or a large re-seller of games in Adelaide? ) as they have something to gain from it and once the ‘what can be done at the show’ is established then get just a few hobbyists / collectors involved to take a few games, get some marketing stuff sorted out and sort out how the 2 days would run. I imagine that a big aim of what drives us to want to present ‘our game’ back to the public is the great feeling and youthful memories the game re-connects us to and we want others to experience that too , so I think to have a few games from each era to capture the attention of older guys and leading up to a display of the newer titles to ‘blow people away’ with what a pinball machine is capable of these days is the way to present the ‘display’. Have a few keen pinball people to discuss this with the ‘punters’ and build enthusiasm about pinball at the show. Yes – on top of this a comp could be held as well so that people can see another aspect of this hobby. On top of this you have your main guys ( the distributor/seller ) with his set up with games available for sale and all of his promotional material to provide to possible future game owners. I also think that the idea of having the comic/ super hero game titles as already mentioned in this thread is a fantastic idea and would command INSTANT attention from many of the show attendees that probably have no idea these games/ titles even exist.

If this was Sydney based I would make the calls for sure.
However I don’t want to involve myself at that level for other States.
Without sounding arrogant I will say that I think I have opened a small door for us  - but seeing as this is 15 hours away from me that’s where I will leave it at this stage and hope that someone in the hobby picks this up.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:45:48 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !