Author Topic: WTB First Pinball Machine!  (Read 485 times)

Offline Pinballesquire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
WTB First Pinball Machine!
« on: May 12, 2012, 02:19:49 PM »
Hi,

Looking for a first pinball machine, must be 100% working and in good to excellent condition as i have no idea how to repair or restore one, but hopefully will learn over time. Preferably located in NSW as I'd like to inspect and have a very busy work schedule so can't travel too far. I've set aside some cash & could afford an A1 title or 2-3 underrated pins, looking for 90s DMDs onwards but maybe a POTO or a BOP-B. Have ute to arrange pickup.

After hearing alot of conflicting opinions about the quality of pins from Australan pinball dealers i'd really like to find a well cared for & loved machine from a collector so i can do the same! If anyone has anything they are happy to sell to a newbie looking to get started in the hobby let me know! Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:22:19 PM by Pinballesquire »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: WTB First Pinball Machine!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »

You should be able to see the "Pinball Trader" section now. There are a couple of games for sale currently and there are always games being added. Take your time with your first purchase, and ask plenty of questions. There are too many "horror stories" of first pinball buyers not buying what they paid for.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
Pins are generally broken down into a series of price point ranges depending on the title.

By A1 do you mean something like Twilight Zone or Addams Family? You'll need to set aside 4k minimum as a starting point for a "working" one.

On the flip side you can get a POTO or a BOP for around 1800-2300 each.

Would one A list title for a first time buyer suffice or would you want a couple of underrated bang for buck titles instead so that others can play a machine at the same time?

It all depends on what you want.

Maybe you could put up a specific wish list and get some feedback from other forum members as to their gameplay/value for money?

Offline Pinballesquire

• Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:40:14 PM »
Hi Reuben, yeah by a budget extending to A1 pins I mean I have about $6-7k to spend. Not sure what's the best way to go about it, on the one hand I hear something like a TZ has great lasting power and gameplay or yeah you get 2-3 bang for buck machines like a Dracula / White Water / Black Rose / Creature / Bride of Pinbot etc. I don't have kids so waiting in line for a game shouldn't be an issue. Whatever setup will result in the most fun for my budget, would love to hear if people find the variety of two games outways the (assumed) better gameplay of one expensive game.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »
I just contacted luke and he has two that he would sell - Ripley's Believe it or Not at the Fire Station Hotel, or a Pirates of the Caribbean at Budgewoi (I played this yesterday - see photo - nice machine) - he has 2 of the pirates. The pirate has had some custom work (coloured trim, leds, topper ????, not familiar with the original but I think a few custom toys on the playfield - looks nice and plays nice.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:11:12 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pinballesquire

• Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 04:31:51 PM »
Thanks for the lead Jady! Late model sterns eh, havent played either of them before so I will definitely go and sink a few games into them and see if they grab me then give Luke a call. Helps they are in located in my area too. I love all things piratey, was thinking about a Black Rose because of the theme. Also hoping to check out a LOTR at Newcastle, another theme I am a huge fan of, but otherwise I had been mostly considering Williams / Bally titles.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 05:14:32 PM »
POTC is a great pinny , fantastic theme with humour and a surprisingly fast game play .
Awesome toys and would like to have one myself , but too many of the WA crew have in their collection so no point !
Weren't you looking for MM after playing in on PINBALL ARCADE ?
which ever way you will learn repairs and maintenance before too long ( part of the fun )
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Pinballesquire

• Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
Yeah I love MM play it on my iPad - Pinball Arcade all the time, but yeah I'm not sure my budget goes quite that far, what are MM selling for these days?

Offline Pinballesquire

• Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 06:24:01 PM »
Lots of late model sterns floating around it seems, Thinking I might grab one & look for a second bang for buck Williams / Bally title.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:13:39 AM »
$6-7K gets you plenty.. in fact almost any machine you want.

For a first pin(s) and with that budget id be looking to get 2 good DMD's or NIB ACDC.. possible WOZ.
Its a very healthy budget.. Pinsanity had some great titles that were eye candy plus.. youd also have change for a beer and possibly a good EM game

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
Personally I think POTC is a great machine if you love the theme, you need to be prepared to spend a lot of time in front of it because it is hard to lose the ball (I am talking 20 minutes for one ball if you have a great run)! Great fun sinking the ship. After playing one for a couple of hours it definitely was added to my wishlist.

I think you would also want something that you could jump on and have a shorter game (maybe a Getaway would suit - fast and furious).

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »
Try going to ipdb.org or pinside.com and read the game reviews

Also try setting up pinmame and download the games where you can play them on your pc to get a feel for them - some play better than others eg Star trek next gen is a dog on pinmame but an excellent machine

Keep an eye on 4 sale section on this site or Aussie arcade- much better off buying from a member than a dealer in most cases

Don't be afraid to ask questions, try find and play the pin youre interested in before committing

You are probably better off getting a couple of pins rather than spending all your cash on one high end pin

Offline Pinballesquire

• Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast NSW
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
So just to give an update I picked up the RBION that Luke had for sale, he delivered and set it up for me and it's great fun! Looks amazing at night with the lights off, leds shining and mirrors on the sides, got some new stern rails coming for it too which should really finish it off nicely!

It does seem a little lonely though and thanks to the reasonable price I got it for I'm able to continue looking for another machine to sit next to it. I'm definitely feeling a non-stern for the second pin, maybe a STTNG if I can find one in NSW 100% working, or a WH20 perhaps.

If anyone knows any pins looking for a new home in the 2$k-4.5$k range in good condition let me know!

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »
Congrats on the pin, I played luke's a little while ago, he does them up nice.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »
Good stuff, nice first pin. You should be able to pick up a Whitewater for the higher end of that money, and a STTNG will fit in there no problem.