Author Topic: Stern Dracula restore; PART 2  (Read 6628 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: Stern Dracula restore; PART 2
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »

Honestly mate - I can't see the touched up areas in the last pictures - You did a GREAT job !

Glad you weren't the only one - I kept comparing the photos and couldn't figure out where the touchup was!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2009, 03:51:22 PM »
Thanks again guys for your great comments!

If you cant tell where the touch ups are then i must be doing something right..  :lol
seriously though im glad you all like the results so far.

I think i've done as much repair as i can do to the the lit up areas, so I just sprayed on a few coats of Triple Thick to seal it. Now i'll just do the touchups to the rest of the damage around the glass. i'll probably just use the the old tried and true water based acrylics for this, followed by the silver mask paint and i'll most likely leave it at that... well for the time being at least!!!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2009, 05:37:03 PM »
Mate your doing s top notch job as the others said you cant even spot the repairs.  When you scan the see through text areas and print them onto the transparent sticker paper. Im slightly confused do you spray the glass the solid blue then stick the sticker over that then spray the silver mask?
     Again great job

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2009, 08:33:09 PM »
Mate your doing s top notch job as the others said you cant even spot the repairs.  When you scan the see through text areas and print them onto the transparent sticker paper. Im slightly confused do you spray the glass the solid blue then stick the sticker over that then spray the silver mask?
     Again great job

Yepp, sprayed the solid blue onto the glass and let it dry. then i aligned and stuck on the sticker for the light up text. next i burnished the sticker down by placing a sheet of A4 paper over the sticker and rubbing it down with the back of a teaspoon, this makes sure its stuck down properly. then the silver mask was sprayed on.

I probably could've printed the sticker silver/grey rather than black but i wasnt sure if it would block out enough light so i printed it black instead.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
Sweet mate thats how i read it but just wanted to make sure. Doing a great job im goint to attempt one very soon

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2009, 10:42:14 PM »
Yeah yeah I know.. I said I was going to do some SMALL touchups and leave it at that after I’d sprayed the glass with Triple Thick… But I couldn’t help myself Just HAD to some more airbrush work!!!

Well I was going to leave it after id done some brush touchups, but when I was working on the area shown in the 1st pic, and after no less than five attempts to trying to match the light blue in waterbased acrylics and getting nowhere fast, I’d had enough and decided to scrape out the old ink and paint this entire area!  ^.^ You can see in the upper right part of the pic the damaged area I was trying to repair. If  id persevered with it I might’ve gotten it right but I thought F**k this im redoing all of this colour!!

The small dots of blue paint on the front of the glass are from me mixing and matching some auto acrylic paint for the airbrush. This type of paint doesn’t seem to dry heaps darker like the waterbased acrylics do. It DOES dry slightly darker but not as waterbased acrylic.

So after I mixed the paint I scraped the glass clean, but not before taking pics of the black detail so I could recreate this later. Another trick I used was to trace this black onto the FRONT of the glass, so as to help with getting it in the right place later. After id scraped and cleaned the glass I drew the black detail in on the back of the glass with a sharpie pen (2nd pic, note also I still had some tidying up to do on some of the paint edges).
I compared my work and trimmed the sharpie ink back by scraping with a scalpel to get the shapes as close as I could to the pic taken earlier, and wiped over with some soft cloth slightly dampened with Windex to remove loose excess ink.

Next I laid the glass flat and masked off the surrounding areas with paper, loaded up the airbrush with the colour I mixed and sprayed on a few coats of paint. I sprayed the first couple of coats REALLY LIGHT so the sharpie ink wouldn’t bleed back through the paint, allowing about five minutes between coats. Not a sign of the sharpie ink bled back through the paint, as you will see in the next pics in the next post.

Notice in the last pic the areas to the left and right have been scraped and cleaned as well. I did this after seeing how well this middle section turned out and deciding to do these bits as well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:48:28 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:38 PM »
More pics...

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »
Couldnt help yourself heh? Well when your on a winner keep going your doing a great job so keep it up

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »

Mate - some serious hours behind this project !

What a great machine you now have to enjoy !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2009, 11:19:15 PM »
yeah everytime i think i've done all i can with this glass, i end up wanting to do more with it. i keep seeing bits and thinking to myself i can fix that :lol :lol

Offline Astroboy

• Forum Posts:
  • In the Shed
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2009, 11:45:48 PM »
Thats some impressive work. Thanx for sharing!
I am searching for SPACE Themed Electro-Mechanicals.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2009, 08:50:33 PM »
A few more pics of whats been done. i've been spraying the silver mask over each repaired section as it is done (after a light coat of flat white first), as can be seen in the first pic, showing the back of the glass so far.

And a pic of the front

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2009, 08:56:40 PM »
some before and after pics of a couple of the other damaged areas that had to be repaired..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:59:32 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »
And finally (for now) a pic of the BG before any work was done, and how it looks lit up now, so far.
 i just have to do something with dracula's blue suit now!! In these pics the girl in draculas arms, ive airbrushed the cracks in her legs and dress. the legs turned out pretty good, but the blue in her dress didnt turn out as well as id hoped it would.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:11:39 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2009, 09:11:45 PM »
Coming along very nicely, well done.