Author Topic: Pinball machine importers in Melbourne  (Read 2688 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Pinball machine importers in Melbourne
« on: April 23, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »
Hey, are there still people privately importing pinball machines in Melbourne?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Pinball machine importers in Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 10:50:36 AM »
 %)% back !

The private imports have slowed down due to private collectors discovering that games need a lot more than a quick clean and re rubber. The "romance" of importing private containers seems to have stopped completely. You are better off contacting a dealers, or posting a "wanted list" of pinball(s) you are looking for.

Dealers are still importing, and in most cases, you will find prices may have doubled since you were last looking.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »
There are still good buys at wholesale from European suppliers, but most of the fly by nighter importers have drifted off to greener pastures as they are finding that there is lot easier way to make quick flip money, instead of having to pay someone to shop out a machine for them to get it to a decent playable standard and then trying to make a profit on top.

If you are importing for the purposes of resale you either do the shop out work yourself to minimise that area of outlay and passing that saving onto the buyer or you pay someone to do it and add a few grand to the end price tag - which then gets listed on ebay unsold for months as advertising bait all whilst incurring cost of inventory.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:00:09 PM »
Talking to a guy last night "who actually imports machines" he was saying the prices of games overseas are considerably higher these days and harder to find quality games. I'm no expert but it was a interesting conversation and I learnt alot. As Nino said place a wanted ad and something might pop up especially with the new games coming in someone may want to free up some cash :)

Sounds like the Euro honey pot is drying up.

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:28:49 PM »
^^

Del from Bumper said they grabbed the last lot of Bally Williams machines hidden in an Alpine cave on the Italian border back in 2003 and it has been slim pickings in Europe ever since.  @.@

Sounds more like a dealer using a tired worn out sales pitch to justify a price gouge.

The bulk of the machine exports back in the '90s went to Europe. Like I said, a lot of the fly by nighters were/are content to take the leftovers from the usual Euro importers for a quick flip and double/triple their money (an 800Euro Baywatch with a playfield clean and a new set of rubbers listed for 4500AU for example), but you wouldn't take that route if you were importing for the primary purpose of adding to an existing collection. In that case, you would cast your net further afield since you don't want any John West rejects in your catch.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:04:42 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:14:18 AM »
^^

Del from Bumper said they grabbed the last lot of Bally Williams machines hidden in an Alpine cave on the Italian border back in 2003 and it has been slim pickings in Europe ever since.  @.@

Sounds more like a dealer using a tired worn out sales pitch to justify a price gouge.

The bulk of the machine exports back in the '90s went to Europe. Like I said, a lot of the fly by nighters were/are content to take the leftovers from the usual Euro importers for a quick flip and double/triple their money (an 800Euro Baywatch with a playfield clean and a new set of rubbers listed for 4500AU for example), but you wouldn't take that route if you were importing for the primary purpose of adding to an existing collection. In that case, you would cast your net further afield since you don't want any John West rejects in your catch.

I remember that old chestnut. Always brings a smile to my face. An even funnier gem was from another Melbourne dealer. Upon the news that I was going to follow in my Father's footsteps and import machines, I was told "Containers are extremely expensive and many fall off ships these days. If you have the container sent to my factory, it would be much safer".. :D %.% *.*

Talking to a guy last night "who actually imports machines" he was saying the prices of games overseas are considerably higher these days and harder to find quality games. I'm no expert but it was a interesting conversation and I learnt alot. As Nino said place a wanted ad and something might pop up especially with the new games coming in someone may want to free up some cash :)

The prices doubled last year. I asked one of the main suppliers why this was the case and he replied that he had been keeping an eye on EBay Australia, and he found that the importers were listing games at massively inflated prices. Of particular note, was the fact the games didn't appear to have as much done to them after leaving Europe ! So the supplier increased the buy price. This flow on effect created an issue for end customers as dealers became more greedy.

So when you hear some dealers complain about the prices, it effectively is a problem created by their greed.

There are still good machines available, you just need to know where to look.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 12:08:53 PM »
^^

I remember that old chestnut. Always brings a smile to my face. An even funnier gem was from another Melbourne dealer. Upon the news that I was going to follow in my Father's footsteps and import machines, I was told "Containers are extremely expensive and many fall off ships these days. If you have the container sent to my factory, it would be much safer".. :D %.% *.*

The prices doubled last year. I asked one of the main suppliers why this was the case and he replied that he had been keeping an eye on EBay Australia, and he found that the importers were listing games at massively inflated prices. Of particular note, was the fact the games didn't appear to have as much done to them after leaving Europe ! So the supplier increased the buy price. This flow on effect created an issue for end customers as dealers became more greedy.

So when you hear some dealers complain about the prices, it effectively is a problem created by their greed.

Yep fair enough Nino  :) but prices for older games are crazy-do sellers say "hey people are paying 12k for a new Stern/JJP so let's put prices up on old games"?

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 01:40:39 PM »

And no doubt when you went to collect, the security seals on the container would be conveniently missing. "Must have fallen off during the heavy seas".  &&

Yep fair enough Nino  :) but prices for older games are crazy-do sellers say "hey people are paying 12k for a new Stern/JJP so let's put prices up on old games"?

Perception of value does play some part.

If Stern can get away with putting out a 75% complete machine from what was intended with the design with an $8000+ price tag attached to it, then in the newbie customer's mind even a 20 year old Data East which is complete must be worth at least $5000.

Unscrupulous second hand dealers will simply take advantage of that.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 04:34:28 PM »
^^

Based on customer feedback, dealers blame private importers for the price hikes. This is merely deflection from their own business' practices. Most newbies are still being hooked. The NIB Stern VS Restored (not "fully shopped") games is a tactic used for dealers to point to the increases in Sterns price model. From my own experience, the last 2 Stern price increases prompted me to stop taking on new work as we were already overwhelmed (and not yet recovered from) with High End Resto work.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 04:35:28 PM »

And no doubt when you went to collect, the security seals on the container would be conveniently missing. "Must have fallen off during the heavy seas".  &&

Perception of value does play some part.

If Stern can get away with putting out a 75% complete machine from what was intended with the design with an $8000+ price tag attached to it, then in the newbie customer's mind even a 20 year old Data East which is complete must be worth at least $5000.

Unscrupulous second hand dealers will simply take advantage of that.

I'm sure machines would have been "lost" in transit.  !*!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 04:41:11 PM »
I haven't seen one commercial seller anywhere in Australia who isn't price gouging.

People are charging more $ for 20 year old titles than brand new Stern LE models.

It's a shame that the pinball industry has grown so well only to fleece 90 percent of buyers.

Only people who were collecting before the container wars started seem to understand the current prices are triple of what was being paid 5 to 7 years ago.
Import prices might be up by 50 percent max because of the Aussie dollar & the fact that container sellers have woken up but nothing currently supports the price gouging.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 09:34:05 PM »
Haven't bought for 5 years as not willing to pay the asking prices. Now will try a nib hoping can get some trouble free playing for the bux spent???
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 08:00:10 AM »
Haven't bought for 5 years as not willing to pay the asking prices. Now will try a nib hoping can get some trouble free playing for the bux spent???

Yes once I spend 5k on a creature then 2.5k on a mini resto I'm not far off a new Stern Pro?  New game comes with better sound LEDs better rules and mostly a great theme, plus Trouble free playing a new modern game, then wait 12 months for full code it's a no brainer.  My personal view anyway and I understand not everybody's :)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 10:08:53 AM »

Don't worry Rob, you will love your new Stern. The only caveat is lack of code at release, but you can still play it until it is finished.

The asking prices on second hand games is insane - especially for the shot cuts. The main reason we don't do any more repairs.

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »

The emphasis being on ASKING prices, not necessarily actual selling prices.

A lot of private sellers are taking a leaf out of the ebay dealers books and simply using the platform as advertising with a high starting price, then letting buyers come to them privately with lower offers.

The listing gets pulled and everyone assumes it sold for (or close to) the listed asking price thereby creating a false new benchmark valuation.

No one who has been into pinball collecting for more than a few years would pay $4k for a standard faded cab Getaway or $5k for an unshopped CFTBL and then readily budget another $2500 plus on top of that for a partial restoration. That is strictly new buyer mentality territory based on Stern price rises.