Author Topic: Pinball shed stash  (Read 5179 times)

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Pinball shed stash
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »
What a great read. Thanks for posting.

Sound's almost like treasure hunting. My dad lives on a property with acerage and an old farmhouse. It has a number of sheds dotted around the house and adjoining paddocks filled to the brim with stuff the landlord keeps. The problem is it's all rubbish. He's an old school hoarder!
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
It is indeed very fortunate that these machines were recovered by Rob. Anyone else might have given up and parted them out and we would have lost another dozen classic machines.

Rob has the skills and dedication to restore these machines to fully working 'prizes' that anyone will be proud to have in their home.

Well done Rob.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 02:28:15 PM »
This has to be the best barn find of 2012!!!. Congrats on the pinball rescue, (what an awesome adventure) looking forward to the resto's of these pins, well done!  $#$
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
Wow, awesome find and such a great read. The pictures are the icing on the cake. Can't believe the possums made homes out of the neglected pinball machines. Reminds me of something out of I Am Legend...humans disappear and the animals set up house in our pinball machines.

Great score with some of those machines as well!

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 07:47:21 AM »
Best story ever!!

This is the sort of stuff you hear about from the States, didn't think I would ever hear one from the good old land of Australia. Come to think of it, this is the stuff pinball legends are made of!

Great work and wishing you many hours of fun as you restore that lot!

Online ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 09:43:24 PM »
 Cool story thanks for sharing, great find, look forward to the restoration threads  *%*

Offline Operator68

• Forum Posts:
  • Traralgon Victoria
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 10:17:28 PM »
Must be the post of the year. Its amazing to think someone would try and store such valuable machines in those conditions. Well done.   $#$

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 11:27:21 PM »
Rob   I just love your story  I have seen the movie warehouse raid and this is the Aussie raid  complete with possums   :lol

I think that you and your mate have done really well

I once bought a Black Pyramid for 100.00  it had been left out in the rain  and the previous owner reversed out his shed in a ute  with the pin in the back and forgot to lift the roller door ripping the head off  ^.^

After shopping the game its working really well. Its great to see more games being saved       

.When we where getting a new kitchen  they made a new back box for 100.00   BARGAIN     I Guess that you could get some quotes from kitchen makers

Great story and luv the pics  $#$                                     Howzat

Offline andtan

• Forum Posts:
  • Canberra, ACT
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »
Thanks for a great read, and the pics ^^^

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 07:15:08 AM »
Great read and pictures.  Good luck with the projects!!
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:05 PM »
Jealous but know the work ahead would be way overwhelming for me. Good luck and look forward to seeing them come alive
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline barthead88

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »
I am pretty new to the pinball scene but this story sounds amazing. Does remind me of storage wars. Be great to see these machines back to life.

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:47 AM »
I got a FH, TAF, Teed Off and DE Simpsons in similar condition years back. They all were saved, turned out nice, but not perfect. I'm not sure I'd do it again!

Glad to see you saved them though :)

Offline Jimmie Dimmick

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
the ending of all these restorations is going to be exactly like the scene from Pulp Fiction

where they clean all the blood and skull from the back of the car

where Jimmie says to Winston Wolfe

"I can't believe this is the same car"

replace car with pinball machine :P

just inspirational

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 09:05:02 PM »
Well, its 3.5 years since this story started, and if you recall back when i picked them up, the owner (who was not living anywhere near Magnetic Island, where i got the other machines from) had requested i leave one machine behind for him to fix up one day.  I had never met the guy, just talked on the phone and via email.  Anyway, it was our neighbour's 50th Birthday this weekend, and the do was over on Magnetic Island, so we decided to head over with the kids and make a weekend of it.  Headed over with the car on the barge on Friday arvo, and got ourselves settled. 

We were staying about 500m away from the house where the original stash was scored, and i thought the owner had said he would return home soon after i got the main lot of machines (so 3 or so years ago now). So i dropped in on Saturday morning, and knocked on the door - a guy came out, and I introduced myself, and sure enough it was the owner. I sat down and had quite a yarn with him, talking about some of the machines of his i had restored, as well as getting some stories from him about operating during the heyday. He said he bought most of the (12 or so) machines 2nd hand for $1500 to max $3000 - then sited them, and gave a cut for the site, as well as another guy to service and collect the money. He said he would consistently get $5500- $6000 per month for the 12 machines.

Anyway, i asked if the last machine was still there, and as i thought, it was. So we wandered out to the back shed, and had a look-  this pic was taken after i folded the headbox up and rubbed some dust from the glass.

I remembered that the cab was shagged on this one, but had a feeling the translite was missing, so was quite surprised to see it intact (and in reasonable condition!).  There was no proper key to open the coin door, however i undid the torx screws on the backbox with an old pair of vice grips, and found some leaking batteries...but no apparent damage to the board- it looked like the leak was contained to the batteries themselves!!! The rest of the board looked quite tidy as well.

So i offered him a price, he was happy as he acknowledged he wouldn't get around to getting it going, so i backed the car up and loaded it in!!

Absolutely love the Kia Carnival for this sort of stuff, as well as a very understanding wife!  This shot is from this morning all packed up ready to head home

While it is filthy, it seemed to have less possum exudate than most of the other machines, so it didn't stink the car out which was nice!

So got the machine home, and out of the car and into the shed - basically the cab is falling apart every time i touch it

Got the drill out and drilled the lock, the lockdown lever was seized, so poured a heap of WD40 in there and wriggled for ages and it eventually came.  Interesting two part lockdown bar - the top part was held on with two screws

Was VERY happy to see this when the glass was removed

Everything intact, quite good playfield, and not too dirty compared to some of the others earlier in this thread.

Underneath is pretty festy....

So had a quick look over, removed the sound board  - the machine has been unused for over 10 years, and the tantalum capacitors dry up and explode - so i will replaced these before powering the sound board up.

Threw caution to the wind, and plugged it in and fired it up....

WWWWWOOOOOOOOHHHHHOOOOOOO

Pretty much a working machine - boots fine, all  lever switches and coils work, most lights work, mist motor works.  I couldn't start a game, as a couple of optos aren't working, and it thinks a ball is stuck in a popper and continually tries to eject.

So with a comp coming up, and a TZ restore on the go, its unlikely i will do too much with this in the near future, however will start a thread when i do decide to do something.

Happy days, and always keep your eyes out in a back shed - even if possums lurk within!!!!