Author Topic: AFM ball popper opto's  (Read 167 times)

Offline ricindahunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Rouse Hill
AFM ball popper opto's
« on: January 19, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
G'day Lads,

Something simple no doubt for the brainstrust. I have just shot the stroke of luck on my AFM and the ball did not pop out. I had just got the two ball multi and after draining the ball in play, she sat there doing nothing for a bit then ball search. Now my question is when checking the receiver and transmitter opto's in this sink hole, when using a digital camera should both receiver and transmitter light up when looking through my digital camera? I am guessing answer is yes. The transmitter is pink and the receiver is a big fat nothing. I replaced it and still nothing. Should I just replace the receiver opto assembly of which I do not have sitting around, or could it be something else??? I am pretty sure the integrity of my solder is worthy but you never know.

Cheers,

Rich.......................................................

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: AFM ball popper opto's
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:32:39 PM »
Only the transmitter will glow through your digital camera.   More often it's the transmitter that fails as it's on all the time.     Try resoldering the wires and pins on the opto board

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 10:44:53 PM »

Are there LEDs in the vicinity, or did you add LEDs ? They can interfere with optos.

Also - If the opto boards have connectors, re plug them.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:14:17 AM »
You've got two main areas to consider - one is the coil circuit and the other the switch circuit that fires it. So far you've looked at the firing circuit. You didn't mention if the ball was fired out in ball search - if not, then it's the coil rather than the opto circuit.

You can go into the tests, and test the solenoids - put a ball in there if you like and when you get to the popper test, it should fire. If not, it's a coil problem rather than an opto problem. If it fires, you can eliminate the coil as the issue.

If it appears to be the coil, check the solder joints at the coil. The two wires from the coil (red and purple) go to a plug - separate and re-seat the plug.

If appears to be the optos, same for the four opto wires, check the solder joints, and then they go to a plug as well - separate and re-seat that too.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ricindahunting

• Forum Posts:
  • Rouse Hill
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 10:38:02 AM »
Ok, more info,

When she went into ball search the offending ball popper coil did not fire. Having said that I have tested the coil and in test mode it works just fine. I'm not sure if thats conflicting but that is definetely what happened as in my frustration I forgot to catch the ball as I lifted the playfield and it ended up taking a tour of the house much to the amusememnt of the ferals. I have just got back from a local repairer having bought the whole transmitter and receiver on their boards and will install them later today as I have to bolt now with a bucket load of stuff to do. The repairer mentioned an IC could be the culprit. How and where do I start there?? For the sake of the exercise I will install these new boards and let you guys know the result.

Cheers and thanks,

Rich..........................................................

Offline ricindahunting

• Forum Posts:
  • Rouse Hill
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
Some of my jobs had to wait. I closely looked at my prioirities for things to do today and pinball repairs ticked all the boxes. Having said that I am not sure how bad some other situation would have to be for me to not think pinball!!!!! the fact that the missus is not home helps also. Enough rubbish ........ we have a win. I replaced the both opto boards and shes kicking. Thanks again to the lads who replied and those who have helped in the past both here and over the phone. Your help for a newbie such as myself is unbelievably appreciated.

Take care,

Rich....................................................

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:18:21 PM »
Well done Rich
   It's a great feeling fixing stuff yourself.    And always plenty of help available here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:12 PM »
Well done Rich
   It's a great feeling fixing stuff yourself.    And always plenty of help available here.

+1 - It is always a great feeling when you fix your own games
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia