Author Topic: An unknown fix  (Read 157 times)

Offline philtech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Queensland
An unknown fix
« on: August 26, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »
Hi everyone...
I had the strangest thing happen with my firepower 2, where suddenly the displays shut down and the game being played stopped.
I checked everything over and could not see an obvious problem, so began a test by unplugging each plug one at a time until I could see something obvious.
I found that unplugging the connector wiring to the (bell, tilt switches and door) that the displays stayed on and all seemed normal except for no play.

Hmmm, well checking the bell (that shakes the house down) with a multimeter, the switch contacts (normally closed) gave a reading of being open.
After a clean and adjustment I booted up the machine again and all is running perfect now.

"So if anyone has an idea I would like to know with the bell switch contacts being open,, can this prevent the machine from working? Or could I have disturbed a bad connector?"

I am new to owning a pin machine though experienced with electronics, so please forgive me for any stupid questions as I get my head around how they work.

Thanks, Phil...

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: An unknown fix
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
A lot of problems arise from bad connectors (intermittently bad) so I know a lot of the guys on here will replace connectors as a matter of course.

We will wait and see what they say.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »

That's an interesting problem and solution. anyone with a similar problem can do a search and find your solution. So by fixing the issue yourself, you have learnt something and importantly, shared it with everyone else  *%*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »
Well done for finding and fixing it yourself  and taking the time to post the answer here ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$