Author Topic: Another Stern Meteor Sound Issue  (Read 188 times)

Offline mhbr549

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Another Stern Meteor Sound Issue
« on: December 23, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
I have researched this until I'm blue in the face and have spent $325 and still have no sound with the Meteor spinner and at other places in the game such as the end of ball bonus.  I have purchased a new (refurbished) SB-300 soundboard as well as an Alltek Ultimate MPU.  I have checked the cables for continuity all the way through as well as correct connection (I had all sounds when I got the machine, so I have ruled out incorrect connection).  The speaker has been replaced, and the volume pot appears to be working correctly and adjusts the level of sound perfectly.  The game boots, plays, and scores perfectly other than this stinking sound issue.  No matter when I've tried, I can't track down this issue, and I'm not the best at understanding all of the testing procedures, and 5101 chips etc... so that's why I've just been throwing money at it by completely replacing boards.  I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Another Stern Meteor Sound Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »

$.$ and  %)% to Aussie Pinball

I had a similar problem with my Meteor. I had original MPU200 and the problem was a mismatch between the clock speeds of the 5101s. You are using a Altek - BUT - have you set the STERN MPU jumper on the Altek board ? If it is set to BALLY, it will give you strange problems like you are describing.

The other issue might be the ribbon cables from the Altek to the Soundboard.

I had an issue with the spinner sounds and the countdown bonus sounds skipping completely.

Try the jumper on the Altek first and report back  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline mhbr549

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Moved the jumpers as you requested and the machine went into slow motion.  I moved them back to the left side, which is where the instructions said they should be for the Meteor.  I have considered the cables as a possibility, but I've taken them out of the backbox and tested them on the bench and have continuity from one end to the other in the connectors so I don't think that they're causing the issue, but I've been wrong before.  Any other ideas?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »
hi, i had a similar issue with a Meteor i worked on a couple of years ago.. it also had an Alltek mpu installed. I was told to do the "memory clear" as described in the manual for the Alltek board. That fixed the sound problems so maybe you could try that..

Cheers...Mitch

Offline mhbr549

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 05:29:55 PM »
Mitch...You my new friend, are a genius!  I was skeptical because this Alltek MPU is brand new (I just put it in today), so I figured there was no way that this would help.  But...low and behold, I did the reset on the MPU and all my sounds are now working!!!  $#$  I can not tell you how much I appreciate you and Strangeways taking time to respond to my post to help me.  Now I can move on to my only other issue of the upper flipper not working and my machine will be flawless!

Thank you again!  #*#

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »
No worries, glad to help, and glad that it worked for you  ^^^
I too was skeptical that this would work when i was told to try a reset for a sound problem  *%*