Author Topic: acdc limited edition problem  (Read 399 times)

Offline monacarter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
acdc limited edition problem
« on: May 27, 2012, 09:55:59 AM »
Hi all,
We got a BIBLE acdc pinball and have nothing but problems with it. Does anyone else have the same problem? Or can anyone help us out to finding out what the problem is.
It is to do with the bell opto switch. We only get to play about 10 to 20 games max and then the bell opto blows. We have done a switch test and everything tests fine and there are no tech alerts. It usually stops when half way through a game.
I can give more info if needed if anyone knows about what i am talking about or if anyone can help us out.
Amd in sydney did the pre check before sending it out to us and they said it was all good. But we are getting really tired of the bell not working. We dont want to have to change the bell opto board every 20 games we play.
What it the problem with it???

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: acdc limited edition problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
PM sent
I have come across one other machine that has had the bell opto fail twice. I inspected it after the first one failed but i only installed the second replacement board and spent a couple of hours (which i only charged my fuel cost and had other repairs to do there any way so i didn't actually charge for the opto fault) And could not find a short or possible short anywhere. The part on the opto board that failed was the FET on the board that the opto controls and not the actual opto receiver or transmitter leds.

The fet is a 20 volt 2.5 amp device but it has a resistor on the gate and the source and both resistors are only rated at 100mw or less and are fine.
There is also a 100mw diode which is on either the source or drain which has not failed yet the FET has gone short.
That was for the electronics people.

I have my 'theory' on this and it involves transients across the gate source junction because for anything to drain more than 2.5 amps through the circuit to kill the Fet it would destroy one of the resistors let alone the very thin tracks on the board.  

The opto board has not failed again after many games
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:27:57 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »
Another member on here had similar problems on his PRO model I think.

Contact AMD and they should send a tech out to resolve the problem.  It seems it is a common fault due to a bad batch of boards. You bought a new machine so it's covered under warranty and you should not have to pay for a service call

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
the Pro model doesnt have an opto board on the bell, only the Premium and LE models

Definitely an issue with these opto boards, that is several machines just on here. Probably
the same part failing on them too

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 05:25:39 PM »
I find it strange how they have heaps of these boards in stock and can't give an exact reason why the problem is happening.
in the instances of where this has happened no one has actually found a short or a cause. if they have no one has mentioned it.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 06:33:14 PM »
Contact AMD. The game is under manufacturer's warranty. If there are many games with this issue, they need to contact Stern for resolution.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 07:30:46 PM »

Supplier won't send a tech out due to the distance so what should they do?
has any one had a situation like this and how was it sorted out?

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:59:50 PM by beaky »

Offline Replay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 08:36:50 PM »
put Beaky on a plane   %.%
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:40:47 PM by Replay »

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!