Author Topic: Repairing a NEW WPC MPU board - LONG post, picture heavy  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Repairing a NEW WPC MPU board - LONG post, picture heavy
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:49:30 AM »
I had a very short run of the new design WPC MPU boards made a couple of months ago. As I like to make sure they work flawlessly before making any available for general sale I assembled the first one up straight away and it has been running for many weeks now in my BSD without a hitch. Here is the first one made and bench tested - ready to install in the BSD:

A few other projects were completed or at least progressed to the point where I am now waiting on sample boards or parts so I figured it was time to put together another WPC MPU. I did this and fired it up on the bench - it seemed to boot OK so I installed it in the machine. Straight away there was a problem - the "enter" switch inside the door didn't work (wasn't recognised) and a few playfield switches didn't seem to be responding?

I grabbed the schematic and metered the input chips (LM339) whilst pushing the enter switch and followed through to U15, a 74LS240 - confirming that the switch worked at the input pin to U15. I guess I was "lucky" in that I knew the fault was on the board as the machine worked perfectly with my first assembled board and its original.

What was the problem? A faulty chip? To eliminate this I replaced U15 and the few others around it for good measure - I had socketed all chips so this was easy to do. Naturally there was no change. So, pull the board out and back on the bench - looked around for any obvious signs of a mistake I may have made but all looked OK. Fired up the scope and looked at the eight Data BUSS lines that the outputs of U15 is attached to on pins  3,5,7,9 & 12,14,16,18.

They all looked OK as shown here:

When I got to pin 12 however I was greeted with this:

OK - so I figured there must be a short on this BUSS line - back to the schematic and looked at the micro for the Data BUSS pins:

Scoped them all on pins 24 through to 31 and all were perfect - in particular pin 24 as that is Data BUSS line D7 that was missing the signal at U15, P12. Went back to U15, sure enough, no signal yet it was spot on at pin 24 of the micro (U4).

OK - time to get "heavy" - these two pins were hard wired together so it was obvious I had an open track somewhere. Measuring with a multimeter on continuity (power to board OFF) I confirmed that the two pins were not connected. The Data BUSS line connects to many chips in the system and these types of faults can be hard to narrow down when you have a line shorted to power or ground (which is the normal failure mode of a known working board) but not as bad with an open track.

Eventually I came to a point a few chips above U15 where the continuity from P24 of the micro stopped!! Ah-Ha, I must be close. Careful prodding through the green solder mask narrowed the fault to just next to the connector J204 - scraping away the solder mask revealed (not much) to the naked eye and it was out with the magnifier. Still not much but the track measured open circuit right where you can see "25" printed on the board.

So I soldered a piece of jumper wire onto the track:

Checked for continuity between the micro P24 and U15, P12 and YES, connection. Put a small blob of green PCB repair goo on the "patch"

Fired up the board on the bench again and confirmed with the scope that all BUSS lines were working at U15. Back to the machine, board installed and BINGO - all working as it should.

So the fault turned out to be a microscopic break in a track from the printed circuit board factory. Most likely a minor blemish in the raw board used to make this finished one. You can pay extra for an electrical check of all tracks when having boards made but it is expensive so I don't do that. This is a board that I can't sell with this "fault" so it will remain mine.

Fault finding a new board can be an advantage BUT also a disadvantage as it has NEVER worked so the fault could literally be anything on the board. Turns out in the end (this time) to be a pretty simple thing stopping it from working. Never overlook the obvious. Look for simple things FIRST when confronted with a fault because you can usually assume that the board has actually worked at some point.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:38:37 AM by Homepin »
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Love your dedication Mike!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
OK - turns out there is a bit more to this story. On a whim I grabbed another "new", blank PCB and fired up my fancy pants, supa-dupa, ULTRA closeup magnifying camera.

Well well well, looky what we have here in EXACTLY the same place on the track as the "repaired" board. With a meter it actually shows continuity but it would be destined to cause trouble down the track (pun intended) somewhere! This picture taken with the fancy camera.

Lucky I only had a small test batch of these run BUT it shows just how easy it can be to get caught out with a fairly complex board like this one despite the Homepin boys making all tracks several times wider than the originals as shown here: (if you look very closely you can just make out the break below the "5")

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
Great work,mike.Check the next track below it to the right,under the ic.It also looks damaged and in the same plane.
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Great work,mike.Check the next track below it to the right,under the ic.It also looks damaged and in the same plane.

Yes, I saw that but it is only nicked on the edge so it's OK - the remaining track width (un-nicked) is still several times wider than the original board.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
Good that you spotted it also.Worth fixing though in the next run of boards.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
these boards are great, at least they have the part values on them so you dont have to keep referring to the manual to find out what goes where
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Good that you spotted it also.Worth fixing though in the next run of boards.

I don't believe it is anything we did - I have checked the artwork and it is fine? I suspect a hair or something in the PCB factory? I intend to ask them.

Offline studley67

• Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
I was going to ask what you thought could have been the culprit.Seems to be reasonable logic.

Offline flippnaussie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
Looks like a hair got into the process somewhere just befor the board was etched.

Simon.