Author Topic: MOVs and Thermistors now avail. for 230V machines  (Read 2701 times)

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
might be worthwhile explaining the importance of these parts mike,with so many inports comming in.

You're right....

The MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) acts like a zener diode in that when a voltage is sensed that equals or is higher than its rating it quickly short circuits and forces the mains fuse to blow (as long as it isn't a nail!).

Sometimes if it is just a transient spike in the mains it will not permanently short but just do so momentarily to protect the machine and trust that the fuse will do its job. Other times the MOV will short circuit and must be replaced but be happy that it has very likely protected your machine from much more serious damage.

The Varistor is placed in series with one side of the mains and when cold (power off state) it exhibits a high resistance and so slows the inrush of current when the machine is first switched on. This initially limits the current flow basically to offer a "soft start" to the machine and allow things like the main filter capacitors time to charge to capacity gently without stressing them. As this part warms up the resistance drops to quite a low value, typically a couple of ohms and so the full mains potential is applied to the machine after the initial start.

Thermistors, as they age, lose the ability to switch down to very low resistances and can typically only go down to around 10~20 ohms. This can cause random resets and can be a tricky fault to find.

Machines wired for 110V (USA and Japan) will have the incorrect value MOV installed that will usually have a breakdown voltage of around 150~170V. If you plug this machine into 230V the MOV will instantly conduct and you will be greeted with a shower of sparks and then silence.

It is my recomendation that if you are going to the trouble to open up the machine and gain access to the MOV you may as well change both parts at the same time.

Cool, I thought they were cake testers.

Thanks for the op to buy, Mike

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I would grab a few packs with the line filters.  The slower postage from hong Kong wouldn't worry me.

That's the thing - it probably wouldn't be slower anyway......but much cheaper.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline rads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
I would grab a few packs with the line filters.  The slower postage from hong Kong wouldn't worry me.

Great.  Let us know if they become available.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!

Great.  Let us know if they become available.

I bought some filters today - now to get some more MOVs and Thermistors......
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Maybe also offer a 240v plug and fuse along with the MOVs as package for a "one-stop" solution for people changing 110v machines to 240v.

just a thought...