Author Topic: Williams Hot Tip (EM)  (Read 3759 times)

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
Re: Williams Hot Tip (EM)
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2014, 12:59:02 AM »
Hi all,
While I was waiting to get some multimeter assistance with Dan (Riverinapinball), I decided to go back through Hot Tip and check switches from the beginning of the startup sequence until the point where everything stops. The machine seemed to be doing different things every time I turned it on and seemed to be getting worse.

To cut a long story short, I managed to get the flippers constant power by discovering that a switch on the Game Over relay wasn't making proper contact. I adjusted and cleaned the switch and now the flipper buttons have power!

Now when I start a game, the bonus unit resets at the appropriate point in the startup sequence, but the Outhole relay doesn't seem to energise and reset the drop targets or kick out the ball. It will reset the drop targets if I manually press the relay. Previously, if I kept pressing the start button, the ball would kick out randomly, but this has stopped completely now.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline oldpins

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »
Might be worth checking all contacts on the 'coin relay' !

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »
Thanks to Dan on Tuesday for detouring after work to come and check out Hot Tip and have a couple of games of Metallica Pro with me. Especially on such a hot day! We went over the operation of an EM and Dan checked out some of the switches. Still no further, but it's a new start.

Oldpins, I had time tonight to go over Hot Tip and what you suggested. I went over the coin relay, made sure all the switches were making proper contact and gave them a clean. With the machine on, I also checked operation and manually pressed the relay. It acted the same.

I reset all the stepper units to zero by hand to make sure they are all at zero. The Game Over relay is latched. I press start and the machine goes through its paces, but does not kick the ball out and the drop targets don't reset. It is getting stuck before the Outhole Relay is activated. I can press the Outhole Relay manually and the drop targets reset and with Dan checking the outhole kicker, the coil actually fires.

Tonight, I manually pressed the bonus unit switch with a bit of cardboard when the machine was turned on and this also reset the drop targets and fired the outhole kicker. I now need to find the missing link in the startup sequence. The flippers work, can manually kick the ball out, but when it drains, nothing registers on the switch.

So close!!!!!

Adam.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2014, 10:47:13 AM »
I think that as part of the reset sequence the game over relay should trip , which in turn will energise the reset relay .

Drop targets not resetting during startup is indicative of the reset relay not energising , possibly because the game over relay is not tripping . I have had problem with latch/trip on my Williams EM's before, sometimes needed a slight adjustment .
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:53:37 AM by goodolddays »
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »

As part of the reset sequence the game over relay should trip , which in turn will energise the reset relay .

Drop targets not resetting during startup is indicative of the reset relay not energising , possibly because the game over relay is not tripping . I have had problem with latch/trip on my Williams EM's before, sometimes needed a slight adjustment .

When the game over relay is latched you should have 'Game Over' lit on the BG and no power to most of the playfield coils , I think.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2014, 06:43:16 PM »
I have been reading this thread with interest. I hope you sort it out in the end. Sounds like there are many electrical problems. One problem would be hard enough to find, 2 even harder and many, a nightmare! Just curious to know if you are using a volt meter for testing or just visual inspection of relays?

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
Hi DSB,
I was visually inspecting the relays initially, but had riverinapinball help me out this week with the multimeter on the switches.

I found a switch (furthest to the back of the machine) on the Reset Relay wasn't making proper contact. I have no adjusted this. When I press start, the game goes through the startup sequence, resets the score reels and now ejects the ball. I can play ball one, but when the ball drains, the ball is not detected in the trough. I can activate the switch multiple times by hand, but nothing happens. It stays on ball one.

Can anyone help with this issue now? When the ball drains, the Outhole Relay is not activated.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »

As part of the reset sequence the game over relay should trip , which in turn will energise the reset relay .

When the game over relay is latched you should have 'Game Over' lit on the BG and no power to most of the playfield coils , I think.

Yep, the game over relay now latches every time I turn the machine on and Game Over is lit on the backglass.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
One step closer. Well done Adam.

Is that Ball Stepper working freely? I thought it might need some attention, not sure?
Dan

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »
Heya Dan,
the Ball Unit Stepper is actually moving freely (goes back and forth ok). The Coin Unit Stepper needs attention aka cleaning and there's a stepper in the head that also needs more cleaning. Can't remember the label for that one.

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
GDay Adam .

Check the switches on the ball index relay

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2014, 10:37:22 AM »
I'm not an expert on EM s but I can read relay logic schematics. If I am correct you can start a game and play one ball but when the ball enters the trough nothing happens? If so does the machine go through its bonus sequence or does the bonus RE energise?

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »
Out hole schematic.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2014, 12:17:03 PM »
The bonus RE should energise first via the bonus stepper unit and then via the out hole switch. I would check the bonus unit zero position switch. As the schematic says below the wires should be Red-Black and green on the bonus unit. Probably hard the check the wire colours I guess. It should be closed when the ball is in play. When the ball is in play the out hole switch should have power waiting for the ball to hit it.  It then sends power to the bonus relay.The score motor should run when the bonus RE is energised. After the bonus unit steps to zero it transfers power to the out hole relay. That's how its drawn anyway. I hope this helps. Last note; the M.B contact on the score motor should be closed if the motor is not running which sends power to the bonus unit (I am assuming it is.)

Dan

Offline delarge

• Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »
Away from the machine at moment, so going by memory here.

Absolutely nothing happens when the ball drains at the moment. You can move the trough switch by hand and nothing happens either.

If I move the bonus unit under the playfield by hand, the bonus unit will reset when you press start for a new game. The bonus unit moves back and forth freely.

The ball is kicked into the the shooter lane at the start of a new game now, but after hitting the ball around and scoring points, nothing happens when the ball drains. It just stays on ball 1.

Will double check tonight.