Author Topic: Williams / Bally ST TNG Restore  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Williams / Bally ST TNG Restore
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
Top work Nino.  Hopefully the local 'Trekky' we know can pop over and give it his blessing....!

You can both pop over for a game  ^^^

I know know why this is such a great player - the game MUST be working PERFECTLY for the rules to work. VERY DEEP ruleset. I've completely changed my mind on this game (No, I can't keep it) - It deserves the accolades. It is just a VERY demanding game to restore. Worthy of the title "Super Pin".
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 01:16:18 AM »
Nice work Niño! Looks awesome! ^^^

would have to agree with Marco,  its the nicest STtng that I've ever seen

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 10:50:22 AM »
Looks great, Love the LEDs behind the translight  ^^^

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 08:16:45 AM »
Are you going to install the correct black legs?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »
Are you going to install the correct black legs?

This is my conundrum. On the flyer, they are black. I've never seen a ST TNG with black legs. I have a black set, but they are not as nice as the chrome set. What I was going to do was offer the buyer either the chrome or black.

Offline Pinlinds

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
Hi Strangeways
Excellent looking STNG, I have one which is in great condition and I'm about to do some overdue touch-ups.
Just wanted to know what brand and type of paints and lacquer you used on the coin door?
I'll be ordering a new Alpha ramp from RTBB and I'm also after the left outline guide.
I brought this machine with me from South Africa some years ago and I bought it from the original owner operator, it came with black legs.
It also has plastic left and right outlane guides, all others I've seen have standard brushed steel, the left one is broken so I'll be posting a picture and request for help in another thread.
Cheers
Lindsay

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
Hi Strangeways
Excellent looking STNG, I have one which is in great condition and I'm about to do some overdue touch-ups.
Just wanted to know what brand and type of paints and lacquer you used on the coin door?
I'll be ordering a new Alpha ramp from RTBB and I'm also after the left outline guide.
I brought this machine with me from South Africa some years ago and I bought it from the original owner operator, it came with black legs.
It also has plastic left and right outlane guides, all others I've seen have standard brushed steel, the left one is broken so I'll be posting a picture and request for help in another thread.
Cheers
Lindsay

Paint for the coin door - Knights "satin black". You can get it from Bunnings. Don't fall for the trap of using sticky tape over the coin windows, and spraying directly over the door while still in the cabinet ! Dismantle the door, use etch primer if necessary. A couple of top coats and you are ready to go.

All my ramps are bought from RTBB. They are PERFECT and they really set the game off. You might want to look at buying the entire set if the budget allows.

My outlane guides are brushed steel on the bottom, then clear then new plastics. Post a picture of what you need, as I have plenty of leftovers if you need them.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
Looks Good Niño
         Love the way LEDs change a game wasn't a huge fan but have recently done the green LEDs behind my creature and it looks way better.

+1 about everything having to be 100% working played a few on site and hated it thought it was one of the most overrated games going.     But after playing a fully working game it's a whole new game...

One thing that shits me is some of the sounds.....   We have spotted a kardashian ship...      Can't even play pinball without hearing about them over publisised celebrity no hopers  %.%

Offline Pinlinds

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »
Thanks for the info re paint Nino.
I'll post some photos of the outlane guides tomorrow, I've searched by part number online and always get 'out of stock' Mark-c's guys had a look around for me and also came up empty handed.  The game has all 3 layers as you described but the bottom layer is plastic (correctly moulded for the game) instead of brushed steel. I think the long term hits from the ball dropping into the flipper lane from the wire ramp return has lead to the top section of the guide getting smashed. Pics will show the problem!

Offline Pinlinds

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
Hi Nino
Here are two pics of the ST TNG lane guides from my machine.
The top one shows the left outlane and if you look carefully you can see where the lane guide has broken away and does not extend up to the screw post.
In the second picture I've taken the left and right guides out of the game. The top set is the right lane and the bottom set is from the left side. As you can see the very top row of plastic is the correct length (for the right side) it too has a tiny section broken off around the actual screw hole.
The very bottom row of plastic is the broken one from the left lane. So all on all other Sts I've seen this row is brushed steel.
I'd be happy to buy a complete set left and right or just get the brushed steel guides if can. So any help would be appreciated. Being a wide body it has different size and shape to most other WMS/Ballys.
Cheers
Lindsay

Offline Pinlinds

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
Found a solution to my lane guides, Pinbits sells an extended length guide to reduce ball drains on STTNG. I'll try those, if they make the game too easy I'll file them down to the correct size. apologies for hijacking the thread though!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
Found a solution to my lane guides, Pinbits sells an extended length guide to reduce ball drains on STTNG. I'll try those, if they make the game too easy I'll file them down to the correct size. apologies for hijacking the thread though!

That's ok - Yell out if you need anything  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »

Boards are all done. Irrespective of connectors "looking good" I replaced the GI strings of J120 and J121. The capacitors and Bridge Rectifiers are replaced and trace wires installed. Some recent "short cuts" I've seen on "shopped" games have left out the jumper wires and I forgot the Jumper for the 18VDC, which caused all sorts of issues with the 12VDC line dropping and optos going nuts ! All fixed with the installed Jumper. I also had an issues with the Drop Target switch intermittently not registering the "down" position. This creates havoc with locked balls. I replaced that switch and that problem was solved. Then I had to adjust the subway ramp, as the machine would go into "ball search" mode because the back legs were not high enough. New leg levellers in the rear fixed that ! The game has one intermittent issue at present, and that is that the coin door switches activate during a game (ghost switches). Could either be the coin door switches or the interface board. Difficult to track down as it rarely occurs, but I have to have the machine working perfectly before I let it go.

The game is almost done, except for the issue of original legs. Lucky I had a set which cleaned up well. So the buyer has a choice of chrome or black (factory legs).

While I was finishing off the game, I worked on the last moving part, the credit knocker. ALWAYS over looked, I was not surprised to see a problem with it. This is why ALL coil sleeves should be replaced, not just the "easy to replace" coil sleeves that have to be done. A fully reconditioned game HAS to have ALL done.

Credit Knocker looks "fine" - But is it ?

Hmmmmm..

Now is works and SOUNDS much better.  ^^^

Some BLING shots of the final configuration of the LEDS. Time has been spent with placement for effect. There's absolutely no use in simply installing white LEDs as it never gives the correct effect. The only way to achieve this is to have a huge selection at hand and then swap and change as you rebuild the playfield.

Bling shot under the playfield. Every mechanism has been stripped, cleaned, repaired and had any broken or worn parts replaced. BIG JOB for this game, as it has extra solenoids. Subway ramp was covered earlier, and is seldom cleaned properly. No use in cleaning a playfield if these details are not done.

Apron Cards done and the playfield is 100% finished.

Game with factory legs. When the game is sold, the owner can decide on either the chrome or factory black legs  ^^^

I'll post some "finished" photos when I'm 100% happy the game is completed to my satisfaction  :D

Offline pinballahq

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »
Beautiful work  ^^^

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 08:46:03 PM »
Awesome work Nino,

I have one of these in storage that I will restore one day. How good do the LED's look, when you put LED's in a game like this do you keep a list of what LED's goes where so it makes it easier for your next ST TNG build?.
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.