Author Topic: Backglass  (Read 379 times)

Offline Antz05

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Backglass
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »
G'day Guys, New to the site and am here in Brisy <..>
I have a 1977 ss Evel Knievel Machine that's going all ssswwwweeeeeeeett, however I have a big crack in the back glass and am chasing ideas on what I can do about it. For now I have contact on it and all is stable and ok.  I'm thinking, small amount of glue for the crack and then a clear perspex over the whole panel to keep it all safe and together ?????? Either that, or I'm looking a backglass to replace it. Any of your thoughts, ideas, opinions or leads would be great.
Cheers, Antz :)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Backglass
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:16:51 PM »
If you have contact on it already id suggest just leave it there as you will most likely pull the paint from the glass if you try and remove it.

Welcome to the site

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »
Is it the artwork that's cracked .. or the whole glass itself ??   !@#

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
If you have contact on it already id suggest just leave it there as you will most likely pull the paint from the glass if you try and remove it.

Welcome to the site

Is the contact on the front of the glass if it is removing it wont remove the paint.  If its on the rear, then as Daniel says it will remove the paint.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Ric

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:42:45 PM »
depends on the size of the crack

and how far along it runs

as it is a bally backglass, you need to be able to remove the glass as a whole to access the backbox. If you put perspex on the whole backglass as protection mechanism you may make the "glass" too thick and it won't fit back in the backbox channel.

Further, the perspex is likely to rub against the displays. These get hot and could burn/melt the perpex. It could also damage the display glass if there isn't enough room.

best idea. Take a photo and post it - then the gurus here can chime in

Offline Antz05

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »
G'day Guys :)
Sorry for the delay in response, I've been away commisioning with work.
Thanks for your ideas and help.
Lets see now, the crack runs all the way from top to bottom (I've added in a pic, sorry about the resoltion)
The contact is on the front so it shouldn't affect the paint.
I'm able to take the whole glass out as a piece but it's fragile.......
Thanks heaps guys for all your thoughts and suggestions
Cheers,
Antz :)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 12:43:55 PM »

Hi Antz05 and welcome to AP..

Your picture is not attached to the post. when creating a post, click on the "additional Options" button on the lower LHS. You can attach your photo from there.

Other than that - You can just link your picture from an external site from the "Insert Image" button above the smilies.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline joydivision

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »
John`s jukes in canada has a NOS EK backglass, probably the last one available on the planet. US$400.00.

He ships to Australia, I had a backglass sent, no problems, expensive though. Mine ended up costing an additional AU$650.00 with shipping costs and all the airport clearance fees.

However their was no insurance for breakage, had to take a risk. Was well packed, but not in an indestructable box, Here`s the link, on this page.

http://flippers.com/back4sal.html

Offline Antz05

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 05:28:08 PM »
Thanks heaps for a heads up, I will check his site out as well as keep an eye on Ebay or any other sites out there that may be selling :)

I also have a question regarding the playing field. Whilst most of the field is in good condition, I have Mr Sheen'd the field to keep it protected and clean. I do however have a few spots where the Mylar (i think that's what it si called) has lifted, especially in and around a few of the field lights. It's left little ridges and sometimes the ball gets stuck, is there a resin or wax or something that you guys use to flaten / clean up or just hide these little bumps?

Thanks again for all your help and ideas guys,

Cheers,

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:30:18 PM »
Thanks heaps for a heads up, I will check his site out as well as keep an eye on Ebay or any other sites out there that may be selling :)

I also have a question regarding the playing field. Whilst most of the field is in good condition, I have Mr Sheen'd the field to keep it protected and clean. I do however have a few spots where the Mylar (i think that's what it si called) has lifted, especially in and around a few of the field lights. It's left little ridges and sometimes the ball gets stuck, is there a resin or wax or something that you guys use to flaten / clean up or just hide these little bumps?

Thanks again for all your help and ideas guys,

Cheers,

Do a search on "mylar", "contact" and "novus" on the site and it will give you heaps of info on the subject. Check some of the restoration threads as well.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia