Author Topic: Phantom of the Opera Restoration Part 1-Mylar Removal  (Read 1192 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Phantom of the Opera Restoration Part 1-Mylar Removal
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 09:10:30 PM »
I used it on my BH....Like always - test patch first.  The #3 is a cutting compound and #2 slightly less.  I think it should go ok on the game I think your talking about.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 10:23:56 PM »
i have always wondered why people try to remove mylar.?...if the mylar looks in good condition, and has no hassles, why remove it....espescially since it was designed to protect the playfield.
...given machines are getting more and more rare, i would have thought removing mylar will only lead to a quicker worn playfield. its unusual that people seem to think that a factory mylared pin is not as good or worth as much as a non mylared pin... each to their own....thats just my opinion...rightly or wrongly.
..we all know that a pristine playfield lies under the mylar, but alot of new pinball collectors shld be reminded of the extreme dangers in attempting to remove mylar.thats the only reason for my post.i hope your phantom pin comes up a treat but this post has only reminded me to leave mine alone. i was seriously thinking about giving it a go, but not anymore. sorry mate, hope one of the guys can help out n get her fixed up.
p.s -
i had a go at fixing a translite and farked it up bigtime, you r not alone in having a go and having unhappy results, trust me.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:27:06 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 10:35:17 PM »
i have always wondered why people try to remove mylar.?...if the mylar looks in good condition, and has no hassles, why remove it....espescially since it was designed to protect the playfield.
...given machines are getting more and more rare, i would have thought removing mylar will only lead to a quicker worn playfield. its unusual that people seem to think that a factory mylared pin is not as good or worth as much as a non mylared pin... each to their own....thats just my opinion...rightly or wrongly.
..we all know that a pristine playfield lies under the mylar, but alot of new pinball collectors shld be reminded of the extreme dangers in attempting to remove mylar.thats the only reason for my post.i hope your phantom pin comes up a treat but this post has only reminded me to leave mine alone. i was seriously thinking about giving it a go, but not anymore. sorry mate, hope one of the guys can help out n get her fixed up.
p.s -
i had a go at fixing a translite and farked it up bigtime, you r not alone in having a go and having unhappy results, trust me.
What did you try and do with the translite? Or are you talking about a backglass that was flaking?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 11:04:22 PM »
a few quick question guys about tc kit
what does tc stand for?
is it known by any other name?
who has it?

thanks
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:27:58 PM by caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline wingtipvortex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2009, 11:53:54 PM »
p.s -
Your post has sensible validity,  if i could go back in time....i would!  I belive i have seriously screwed up a playfield piece of art that i had no business touching.   Im extremely pissed that i started it. But as i said earlier,  ive now started it,  and there is no turning back now.

Ive seen/played mylar removed pins,  and they look and feel fantastic.  This is why i decided to do mine.  I thought and researched for some time and made a decision to remove the mylar,  i really cant say it was a wrong decision at the time,  but its a decision i made.

As said before,  i truley think i was unlucky with mine,  and a bit of noobie came into it as well.  But, im prepared to ride it out, and do the best i can to bring it back to life. 

As i see it,  there's no right way or wrong way to do anything......just deal with what you have got at the time,  thats my philosophy anyway ()

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
p.s -
Your post has sensible validity,  if i could go back in time....i would!  I belive i have seriously screwed up a playfield piece of art that i had no business touching.   Im extremely pissed that i started it. But as i said earlier,  ive now started it,  and there is no turning back now.

Ive seen/played mylar removed pins,  and they look and feel fantastic.  This is why i decided to do mine.  I thought and researched for some time and made a decision to remove the mylar,  i really cant say it was a wrong decision at the time,  but its a decision i made.

As said before,  i truley think i was unlucky with mine,  and a bit of noobie came into it as well.  But, im prepared to ride it out, and do the best i can to bring it back to life. 

As i see it,  there's no right way or wrong way to do anything......just deal with what you have got at the time,  thats my philosophy anyway ()

Sorry to hear your dramas, but you are correct a playfield without mylar plays much faster and smoother, Mylar tends to haze up over time which seems to  cause slight friction slowing ball speed, you can obviously polish this out but is does reappear over time.  So I can understand your reasons for removing it, I would have definately done the same if I were restoring the game.

Offline AskJacob

• Forum Posts:
  • Normanhurst (Sydney)
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2009, 10:47:47 AM »
let me know the diameter of that burnt insert - I may have a NOS one that will fit.

any little bit I can do to help out.

Cheers
Jacob
Hey , that would great! It is 6.8cm in diameter,  5.1mm thickness on the edge.
Thank mate.
Sorry it took so long to reply... Yes I have a NOS insert. If the original was clear then this is spot on for you. I am guessing it was clear and went milky when burnt?

If you want it, just PM me your address. A freebie of course.

Cheers
Jacob

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:49:37 AM by AskJacob »

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2009, 01:22:28 PM »
let me know the diameter of that burnt insert - I may have a NOS one that will fit.

any little bit I can do to help out.

Cheers
Jacob
Hey , that would great! It is 6.8cm in diameter,  5.1mm thickness on the edge.
Thank mate.
Sorry it took so long to reply... Yes I have a NOS insert. If the original was clear then this is spot on for you. I am guessing it was clear and went milky when burnt?

If you want it, just PM me your address. A freebie of course.

Cheers
Jacob

Legendary!!  You have made my day! PM on its way.
Cheers mate,
Andy.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »
Nice one Jacob  ^^^