Author Topic: game reset  (Read 847 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: game reset
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »

Still need qualification on the "reset"

1 - Is it rebooting, or,
2 - Is it starting a new game

From what I understand, you start a game, the ball is served into the shooter lane, then the game resets or restarts.

The Shooter Lane (SW14) is in the same Column as the outhole, Trough Switch 1,2 and 3, Left Flipper EOS and Right flipper EOS
The Shooter Lane (SW14) is in the same Row as Left coin, Left Drop Target 3, Ball Launch button, Enter right ramp $ right drop target 3

None of these switches are near the row or column for the start switch (Credit Switch). If the game was set to "Free Play" and the credit switch was in the same row/column, then that might explain the issue. I've seen this on my Addams Family with a switch wired incorrectly.

I still think it is within the switch matrix, and it will be a miswired switch or diode. Can you double check the orientation of the diodes you replaced, as I think you replaced some diodes in the trough switches and the launch switch ?

From memory, the game serves the ball, and then you hit the "launch" button. I was wondering about the timing of this event. Does the problem occur immediately after the ball drops on the Shooter lane switch ? Or after you press the "launch button" ?

At the start of a new game, do the drop target banks reset ?

You can also check the switches on the drop targets and flipper EOS - looks for a loose wire or a short.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline boxingkoala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cygnet Tasmania
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 07:34:45 PM »
Hi Strangeways

Once you press start and the ball pops out, it resets, ie: reboot, shows version number etc.

The game resets before I get a chance to press launch.

Drop targets do nothing between pressing start and reset.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

PS: I did live in Toowoomba, just down in Tassie for a few years.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 07:47:07 PM »
The coil which kicks the ball into the shooter lane.  With the game off, unplugged and balls removed can you test the coil on your multimeter (Ohms) and let us know what the reading is?

I'm assuming this is the one you have already checked the diode on?

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 08:21:03 AM »
Something else to check could be the slam switch inside the coin door.
Maybe it's contacts are too close together and just the vibration of the ball eject is setting it off and resetting the game.

Offline boxingkoala

• Forum Posts:
  • Cygnet Tasmania
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 06:50:44 PM »
after getting home from work had another 15 minute look.

Made what felt like minor progress.

Replaced diode on both kick out coil and ball plunger start coil.

Test ohms on kick out coil. Read 4 ohms

Now also resoldered the wires on both coils for good measure.

Started game and it did not reset, so pressed start and the ball come out. then took the ball and tested the game.  many thins were working then game reset.  a 2nd time got started again but while throwing the ball around, reset when the ball went up the ramp.

seems no consistency when it resets. last few turns reset again when ball comes out ready to press launch button.

Will now have a look at the slam switch which i just read.

Offline boxingkoala

• Forum Posts:
  • Cygnet Tasmania
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 07:27:01 PM »
checked slam switch. it is certainly springy. I kept door open and start a game and got a couple of balls in before it reset. I am highly suspicious that something is loosish and when th machine shakes it resets. ust a theory.

all in all it does not seem to reset every time i press start and the ball kicks out now. but yet to get a 3 ball game in without a reset.

Might do flipper diodes also for good measure.  Not sure what i can do about the slam switch if that is it???  What am I looking for there???

Cheers Guys

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 07:46:32 PM »
Firstly (with game off and unplugged) check the connectors which go into your new power supply.  If they are yellowed (burnt) they could be making a poor connection, vibrations of the machine causing it to loose power to the CPU.

Next, do a visual inspection of ALL coils in the game.  With my finger I usually just gently pull on the diode to make sure its not cracked or in one piece.  Also check it with a multimeter and check each coil ohm.

Finally - check the fuse clips.  On Data East games (nearly always) they need to be replaced.

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 10:09:15 PM »
+1 to MartyJ suggestions. Also worth checking each coil or coil lugs are not shorting out on anything nearby. If the coil wrapper is ripped, have a look that nothing is rubbing against it. Also pull the shooter and kickout assemblies apart and check sleeve and inside the coil. Its a real long shot but I have seen coil which had worn through to the windings on the inside.

You could also try running the game without the display connected as it might be loading down the 5v. I have seen a few of these DMDs faulty.

Could also try putting game in switch test and then banging gently on the playfield and see if any switches trigger.

PPB boards also can have dry joints on the headers and relay but this tends to cause other problems.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 01:50:19 AM »
Another option you can try is go into the service menu and select the "burn in" option, let it run through it and watch if it resets.
if it does reset then try the burn in a few times to see if is resetting at any particular function or just randomly

Once you have exhausted all other avenues check the following.

as mentioned check all the wires on the plugs make sure that all the wires are seated into pins on the connector housings properly. I would be concentrating on the ones on the power supply and mpu board

there is a tool to seat the wires into the pins correctly.
some people use a small flat screwdriver to do this but this can do more harm than good, it can widen the gap in the top of the pins making the contact worse.

If you do find a problem with these connectors for the long term it is best to replace them with new housings and crimp pins

also with the power off and unplugged from the wall power outlet  unplug the connectors on the transformer and inspect them for heat damage or loose wires.

And last check the plugs on the power supply & mpu board for cracked or bad solder joints. (on the rare occasion just because it is new doesn't mean it's perfect )

Yes there maybe problems with the fuse clips but the main ones in question here have been replaced with the new power supply

And before anyone says anything negative about my post I have stated to do this only once all else fails

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:14:40 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
everyones help is great.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 08:26:11 AM »
How'd you end up going with this , i hope you figured out what was wrong.
With the slam switch on the coin door , just bend the contacts so there's no chance of them touching and at least that way you can rule it out as being a problem.

Offline boxingkoala

• Forum Posts:
  • Cygnet Tasmania
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »
It is nearly two years later and I am finally getting back to trying to fix this Star Trek DE 25th pinball.

Time to get it working again.

The Problem:

When the start button is pressed, the game ALWAYS resets. The reset is as if the pinball is turned off and on. Not game to game start.  In diagnostics, burn in works, all coil tests work, I have tested all diodes and they have normal readings, I tested a start without the ball entering the kick lane to set off that switch. it still reset. switch tests says there are some on. Have forgotten how this works. If a couple read on does that mean there is a problem with that row or column?

As a reminder a new pinscore board was put in way back when i was trying to fix this initially. All connectors look fine with no burn. the GI connector was changed a few years back.

Might be a switch issue still so will have to get my head around that again ( 2years it is amaing what you forget).

Will go through the suggestions in this post again but have tried many, Also replaced with new coils on the kick out lane just in case. 

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 01:52:21 PM »
It is nearly two years later and I am finally getting back to trying to fix this Star Trek DE 25th pinball.

Time to get it working again.

The Problem:

When the start button is pressed, the game ALWAYS resets. The reset is as if the pinball is turned off and on. Not game to game start.  In diagnostics, burn in works, all coil tests work, I have tested all diodes and they have normal readings, I tested a start without the ball entering the kick lane to set off that switch. it still reset. switch tests says there are some on. Have forgotten how this works. If a couple read on does that mean there is a problem with that row or column?

As a reminder a new pinscore board was put in way back when i was trying to fix this initially. All connectors look fine with no burn. the GI connector was changed a few years back.

Might be a switch issue still so will have to get my head around that again ( 2years it is amaing what you forget).

Will go through the suggestions in this post again but have tried many, Also replaced with new coils on the kick out lane just in case.  
do a switch test and when you press the start button see what switches are activated when you press the button. also press on the switch in the ball shooter lane and see what comes up.
Try taking the game out of free play and get rid of all the credits and then press the start button and see if it resets with out any credits, also try pressing on the shooter lane switch and see what happens.

if for some reason the slam tilt is being tripped and resetting your machine it will not reset the machine while in test mode but it will when not in test mode.

also make sure the slam tilt switch contacts aren't to close together 
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »
Go back to basics - measure the power supply rails first as NOTHING else will work correctly without the power rails being spot on.

Don't let things like "when the ball does XX it resets" - start at the beginning.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »
i didn't read one of the posts
so disregard what I wrote