Author Topic: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters  (Read 32605 times)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2015, 11:37:57 PM »
Little unsure about some theories. If the cc is under done and needs more cure time and say they are assembled within a week, would not the posts and other assemblies bed into it as well. Has anyone noticed this? Also when wood screwing into a fresh pf can also cause th cc to lift and blister. Anyone see this on their games?

Yes I have.  Metallica LE, I moved the post just above the outlane, you can see when I lifted it up it took not only the clear but the black artwork with it. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:59:16 PM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2015, 12:18:20 AM »
To be honest, looks way worse than I expected, had a look at my pro & looks ok for over 3k plays I guess, will have a closer look tomorrow & take some pics.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »
NONE of my games PF's have that dimpling. If you've never seen a machine without them then broaden your horizons

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Just a thought... but it is definitely the CC not the timber as its on the inserts. Fish eyes created in a CC are because of grease/ silicon residues and leave craters where in the centre there is no CC. Often a 2nd coat will still not fill these craters.
So its not fish eyeing..

Its not " orange peeling" as its dimples are too round.

Ive only seen this type of finish if a roller is used.. normally the foam ones. Leaves a lot of air pocket bubbles that pop...  how thick the clear is and ambient conditions would determine the amount of craters.
I strongly suspect that the CC is rollered on

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »
Stern haven't used extra clear in games for ages, just another example of cost cutting.
Nothing new here.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2015, 09:11:38 AM »
Just a thought... but it is definitely the CC not the timber as its on the inserts. Fish eyes created in a CC are because of grease/ silicon residues and leave craters where in the centre there is no CC. Often a 2nd coat will still not fill these craters.
So its not fish eyeing..

Ive only seen this type of finish if a roller is used.. normally the foam ones. Leaves a lot of air pocket bubbles that pop...  how thick the clear is and ambient conditions would determine the amount of craters.

The playfield surface was like a mirror when we unboxed the game. It was stunning. Imagine a piece of glass, then it started to deteriorate. After a week, Greg took the factory manual and was about to order a replacement playfield. I could try moving an inlane post, but on this game, I'd have to remove ramps etc..

I would like more feedback on other member's Stern machines. Anyone else have a TWD LE ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »
So its not fish eyeing..

Got me stumped then...
The playfield surface was like a mirror when we unboxed the game. It was stunning. Imagine a piece of glass, then it started to deteriorate. After a week, Greg took the factory manual and was about to order a replacement playfield. I could try moving an inlane post, but on this game, I'd have to remove ramps etc..

I would like more feedback on other member's Stern machines. Anyone else have a TWD LE ?

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »
I'd be asking for another playfield.

A friend of mine who owned an AC/DC had one of the inserts pop up.  Even thou the machine was about 6mths months out of warranty Stern eventually gave in and shipped over a complete drop in replacement playfield. 

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2015, 09:53:01 AM »
Nino, from my limited experience with Stern machines, 2 x AC/DC and a Metallica, I would say that the TWD playfield you have there is pretty much the norm.  Both of the AC/DC machines were much the same and then as others have mentioned, after more and more plays, the dimples seem to blend in to each other and are not as pronounced.

I wouldn't move posts just for the sake of it, not worth the risk of damaging the playfield if you don't have to.  I was devastated when I saw what happened with mine.

Stern playfields are what they are.  Be aware of this when you buy a brand new Stern machine, it is nothing new so don't expect anything to change just because you bought a new machine.  The way I see it you have two options.  Source a 2nd playfield, get it cleared by HRP and swap it over or just accept it for what it is, play the machine, enjoy it and be thankful that there are new machines available to buy and play.  Third option, simply don't buy one.
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2015, 10:36:54 AM »
Nino, from my limited experience with Stern machines, 2 x AC/DC and a Metallica, I would say that the TWD playfield you have there is pretty much the norm.  Both of the AC/DC machines were much the same and then as others have mentioned, after more and more plays, the dimples seem to blend in to each other and are not as pronounced.

I wouldn't move posts just for the sake of it, not worth the risk of damaging the playfield if you don't have to.  I was devastated when I saw what happened with mine.

Stern playfields are what they are.  Be aware of this when you buy a brand new Stern machine, it is nothing new so don't expect anything to change just because you bought a new machine.  The way I see it you have two options.  Source a 2nd playfield, get it cleared by HRP and swap it over or just accept it for what it is, play the machine, enjoy it and be thankful that there are new machines available to buy and play.  Third option, simply don't buy one.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2015, 11:13:26 AM »
Just to clarify, that last paragraph is a general comment directed at anyone thinking of buying a new Stern machine who has doubts about the quality of the clearcoat, dimples, playfields etc etc.
Addicted to pins.

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
tried to take some pics with moving the light around showing up any major dimples,
Like you said, any one else out there with a LE/Prem could compare,

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2015, 01:25:50 PM »
I think there are a number of factors which are contributing to the dimples on the playfield.

1. The clearcoat is exceptionally thin.  I would estimate it is only 1 to 2 coats (max).  More likely one dust coat, one final.  Too thin in my opinion.
2. The game as a lot of air time / air balls
3. The timber is not as 'cured' or hard as it could be.

Its my view that the combination of 1-3 above is whats causing it.
I believe if there was a ceramic 2k clear coat (thicker), then these issues would not be visible and less of a 'golf ball' appearance.

I took some further photos of a TWDLE this morning:

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2015, 02:16:39 PM »
images are too far away! can you take a closer pic please?  *)*
WNBJM and KISS have a couple already too! not a big deal to me, but can understand why people get annoyed.
Metal via wood, metal will always win, look what metal on metal does.
To me it means it is getting used and enjoyed.
As long as it doesn't wear through.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »
images are too far away! can you take a closer pic please?  *)*
WNBJM and KISS have a couple already too! not a big deal to me, but can understand why people get annoyed.
Metal via wood, metal will always win, look what metal on metal does.
To me it means it is getting used and enjoyed.
As long as it doesn't wear through.

You should be able to click on the images then the zoom icon (just don't click any of the stupid photobucket pop ups)...

Although I would advise not to eat your lunch whilst looking as its not pretty.

To be fair, anything photographed macro will show 'warts n all'.  My intention is not to bag out Stern, just simply providing some hard evidence showing that perhaps they need to look at more clear (or ceramic) on the playfields to stop this from happening.  Again, when we're spending $10k + I expect a bit better.