Author Topic: Xenon help please  (Read 6995 times)

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Xenon help please
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »
Go into switch dianogtics and test suspicious switches. You may have a stuck switch

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2013, 07:59:06 PM »
Go into switch dianogtics and test suspicious switches. You may have a stuck switch

Thanks Dan,
It shows Switch 28 ball release #2 as having an issue. This is the micro switch I thought was the problem earlier. If I push the switch arm though the fault goes away so I'm not sure what this means. Looking at the manual it looks like I have to fix each one before the next one shows up as a fault if there are more.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2013, 08:13:06 PM »
Take
All the balls out and test

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
That was with the balls out. The pinballs that is  !@)  %.%

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »
am i missing something or is there a diode missing from the switch or is it on a tag else where?  !@#

The board has had 2 New PIA chips fitted
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
am i missing something or is there a diode missing from the switch or is it on a tag else where?  !@#

The board has had 2 New PIA chips fitted

There's currently no diode on the micro switch. Is there suppose to be? I'm unsure as this is a reasonably new game to me but there wasn't one when I brought it. I'm sure the problem is with the switch on the ball release but I have no idea about the exit chamber kick out.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2013, 10:43:11 PM »
the diode must be somewhere else as it is shown in the schematic but not on the photo of the switch
the way yours is wired is correct. sorry to confuse you
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 10:47:13 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2013, 10:55:57 PM »
the diode must be somewhere else as it is shown in the schematic but not on the photo of the switch
the way yours is wired is correct. sorry to confuse you

No worries, thanks Andrew. Anybody with a Xenon know where the diode is located?

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 01:43:42 AM »
its under the playfield
see top right of photo (white wire with yellow band)
ignore the yellow capacitor which only has one lead connected in the photo
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:45:54 AM by beaky »

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 08:30:48 AM »
A was just re-reading the thread. So this is the same problem you had originally that was fixed?, and now has started again. I would double check all switch tests again. Test every thing, making sure the correct switch is triggering against the manual. Also do the same for the Solenoid test.  
Also have the connectors been redone or original.
To test your switches you could desolder and meter them to see if the open/close.
It may also be the switch matrix. You may find all the switches on the same
Matrix Line or row, are not working. Could
Be a bad solderjoint, broken and loose wire, connector.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
its under the playfield
see top right of photo (white wire with yellow band)
ignore the yellow capacitor which only has one lead connected in the photo

Diode on mine is there but I don't have a capacitor in the same spot. I'll replace the diode anyway and see if that makes a difference. I dont know much about diodes but I only have 4004's but I think the switch diodes are suppose to be 4148's, is there much difference? Should I also be adding a capacitor here? if yes what size?

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »
A was just re-reading the thread. So this is the same problem you had originally that was fixed?, and now has started again. I would double check all switch tests again. Test every thing, making sure the correct switch is triggering against the manual. Also do the same for the Solenoid test.  
Also have the connectors been redone or original.
To test your switches you could desolder and meter them to see if the open/close.
It may also be the switch matrix. You may find all the switches on the same
Matrix Line or row, are not working. Could
Be a bad solderjoint, broken and loose wire, connector.

Yes it's the same problem. I'll try not to make this to long winded but here's a bit of background. I brought the machine from another member who had also brought it to have it restored. He sent it off to be restored but then decided to sell it before it it reached the front of the restoration queue. He then sold it to me but hadn't really played it. So the machine came to me with these problems.
The first time around the fix was just to relocate some of the wire back onto different lugs. Obviously now I believe that the switches are wired correctly but the problem is back.
I haven't had this machine going for a while myself as I've just had all of the boards repaired as there were a lot of hacks on most of them. While the boards have been away I've replaced some of the molex connectors also.
 I don't think the issue has anything to do with the boards and I've been over and over the connectors which I've replaced and I can't find anything wrong there either.  I actually think this problem has been around long before the previous owner had the machine because both of these switches were wired incorrectly which I can only imagine was done while someone else was trying to problem solve the issue.
I've now replaced the switch in the captive hole but it hasn't made any difference. The coils all test and are working fine and the micro switch failed in test. From this I think I need to replace the micro switch and diode (also cross my fingers) and as suggested go back over the rest of the wiring and solder joints associated with the other captive hole switch.
Thanks for the advice Dan and Andrew.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »
When you say the switch failed. It did not activate in the test mode?

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »
When you say the switch failed. It did not activate in the test mode?

It's switch number just came up during the switch test mode in the audits on the machine.
The switch matrix shows that these issues are unrelated to each other also.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »
So was being activated? Number on all the time.?