Author Topic: Electronics Guru's - Wahing machine problems!  (Read 456 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Electronics Guru's - Wahing machine problems!
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:54:38 PM »
Since there are plenty of people on here with electronics knowledge this may be worth a long shot.

I have an NEC NW791 washing machine i bought 2nd hand.  The hot water soleniod needed replacing which was no problems.

The machine randomly stops through various stages of the wash/rinse cycles.  It does not seem to be restricted to a cycle end or start time and it happens with a variety of programs (ie: eco, strong etc).  It apparently has fuzzy logic to sense everything in the load (water height, spin speed etc), but even when i manually program these variables it seems to randomly stop mid way through.

When it stops, all digits on the electronic display disappear and no buttons work - the only way to do anything is tun it off at the power point and start it from there.  Once it actually stopped during a spin cycle and it kept spinning with no ability to do anything on the display or pause/stop it except turn off at the power point.

There has only been one instance where two small indicators stayed lit when it stopped - but 80% of the lights were out and i still couldn't do anything.

It seems to me that there is some sort of power supply issue - but i'm just guessing....

Anyone have any ideas or what/how to test

Thanks

Rob

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Re: Electronics Guru's - Wahing machine problems!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »
Check the operation of the microswitch on the door/lid.  I have seen this cause many intermittant stoppages on washing machines when the switch is dicky or only just making and the machine moves as it operates and opens the switch.

Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »
Yeh - i got one of them "fuzzy"logic machines.. i was suspicious of that title the moment i read it - machines that can think....MMMMmmmmmmm..... can anyone spot where its going to come unstuck??

Well... "fuzzy"is an appropriate term - mine had a stroke of sorts 1 month after warantee was out.... i USED to have to manually attach the power to fill up solenoid and then take it off otherwise the machine would just keep filling up to flood levels... how many times did i get asked why the lid was off?

Seems that FUZZY = CRAP... if that aint bad enough - now i see that there are cars that can park themselves - GOD HELP US ALL!!!!

Offline arcadoz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Country SA
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 07:00:55 PM »
Don't know about NECs but Fischer and Paykel can be "interrogated" by pushing a sequence of buttons . A code is then displayed that indicates the problem area. BTW I like the technology in these machines- a big stepping motor on the bottom, no g/box, linkages, etc..
EM score motors wanted- nonworking, broken, burnt, etc..

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »
Resto thread!   &&

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:05:19 PM »
When i had an NEC washing machine with fuzzy logic it was nearly impossible to fix. the pcb is encapsulated in resin.  ^&^
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 08:42:15 PM »
i guess the previous owner found out it was a piece of crap too and sold the damn thing. go around n see him.  &&

u can chuck it or ask NEC/manufacturer directly on their tech support or cust info number why its so stuffed up.or ring a local NEC dealer, talk about it to them, and ask what they think it is, get a fixed quote before someone enters your house, and get your repair receipt/warranty on the repair in writing.
the good guys local electronics store will have the direct ph number for warranty repairs or at least the service hotline for the NEC stuff they sell..try that..they shld have a local good tech they use...

i have a piece of crap brand new dishwasher that has had no less than 5 techs out in 3 months, all under warranty. i told the last guy, if it farked up again, i was coming around his house...it hasnt played up since.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline rads

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:37:32 PM »
 @@* @@* @@* @@* @@* @@*

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »
Hi Robm,

I had a Fischer Paykel machine for quiet a few years, most problems that I had with it came from water getting on to the circuit board that all the buttons are mounted on, if you have any cracks on the top control pad, have a look for corrosion damage on pcb, usually around the most used buttons.

Cheers
Dave   

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 09:56:46 PM »
I only buy the commercial type washers, no touch-pads or girly fuzzy-wtfs.
Just a big rotating dial is all it needs. Our machine lives outside, and was covered in that brown dust from last week. I just hosed it down (CP and all)  %$%
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:58:51 PM by Extra Ball »

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 10:12:43 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's guys.

When i replaced the solenoid, the PCB all looked OK - but i wasn't really looking for anything wrong. I also checked the lid switch and it seems fine. I can't seem to find any way to get an actual error code.

I'll finish the story now.....

One of the times it stopped working must have been during a fill cycle, we were out in the garden and my wife came inside and our whole rumpus room (downstairs) had 4 - 5 cm of water throughout....(lucky pins are on legs!!)

So insurance will actually pay to DETERMINE the problem, but not fix - so they are sending someone out tommorrow, but i have a feeling this will just be a plumber and he'll say its stuffed, but i was hoping get him to pass it on to someone with some electonic knowledge - but i might be pleasantly surprised.

Alternatively, he might say it was the flux density capacitor that blew and wrecked the machine and i might get a new one through insurance....

Stay tuned for the next update and thanks heaps for the suggestions so far.

And martyj.....its very unlikely there will be a resto thread!!!

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »
Well Mr Fixzit came out this morning and he reckons at some stage water has got onto the PCB and is most likely a result of a slightly dodgy soleniod.

So the report for insurance will be that the offending part (what i pay for) is the solenoid ($40) and the resulting damage (what they pay for) is the PCB, and he reckoned the last NEC one he got a quote for was $500!!!!

So it looks like a new washing machine and/or maybe the chance to pull this PCB to bits myslef and see if i can find anything.....OR.....a HUGE parts tumbler that would require lots of media %.% %.%