Author Topic: 1967 Bally "Surfers"  (Read 331 times)

Offline qwertyuiop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • central victoria
1967 Bally "Surfers"
« on: May 22, 2009, 08:38:14 PM »
Had a call today from a guy wanting to sell me  a 1967 Bally "Surfers".   From what he tells me the machine is in working condition,
but  the backglass is starting to flake, the cabinet needs to be re-painted and the playfield has a few spots of wear.

I'm looking to add an EM or 2 to my collection but not sure what Surfers is worth  !@#.

Anyone here ever owned or played one?,   and what sort of $$$ should I expect to offer him??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Scott.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: 1967 Bally "Surfers"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:42:09 PM »

Scott,

Hard without pictures, and also - How badly does he want to sell the machine ? To me it sounds like a project game that needs work, and it sounds like it has a poor backglass.

Beautiful machine ;

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2466&picno=21555

I've never seen one - but I'd be looking at it with $500 in mind and work up or down accordingly.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:02:53 AM »
Hey Scott
                 I may have been lucky so far but i always work of the Rule that for $500 if its stuffed i can use the parts maybe that why my shed is full of spares not machines but i like beeing able to help people with spares????

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:01:42 AM »
Wow Scott,

That is a rare title, not just here in Australia either.

You need to ask him questions to fish for a price. What I usually do is ask them for a ballpark price so you have 'some idea on how much money you need to bring'. Another question is ask them (nicely  :lol) how much they payed for it, that will give you some idea on what they may expect. If they turn around and say $500, then say 'would you take what you originally payed for the game'

Also the longer you can keep them talking the more of an idea you will get for what kind of price they are expecting.

It's a game and the more you play the more you master the art of 'weasling that game from the owner for a cheap price'  :lol

The only problem is, if you hear the word 'eBay' you are screwed.

Ten years ago I would of offered $100  && but these days would start at $500 and go from there. Wouldn't go higher than $700 though especially as you say the backglass is flakey.

This is a very cool game and wish you well with the purchase. Keep us all updated and post pics if you do score it.

Every collection needs at least one nice EM and this would be the perfect start (even though it's not a Gottlieb #@#)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
Ok, just reread your original post regarding the cabinet needing a respray.

Would NOT go past $500 and be polite and point out that the cab needs a respray. Not the hardest cab design to reproduce but still a very large job that takes a few weekends.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
How many times have i heard the absolute killer line???

Goes like this..

"oh...... only $400??? Ive seen them for sale on Ebay for a few thousand... think ill take my chances on there"

Even if seller makes $420 on Ebay sale - theyve done better in their opinion

Golden rule of negotiating ANY pin - have your price and be prepared to walk away - ALWAYS stick to your story

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »
THANKS FOR THE GOOD ADVICE GUY'S *%*

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 07:55:36 PM »
Everyone has to have at least 1 Bally in their collection - especially a 60,s model with Zipper flippers.
pinballaustralia.com