Author Topic: Star Trek - Stern 2013  (Read 12063 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Star Trek - Stern 2013
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »
I recieved a email from a friend in the USA who is a Stern dealer and he says there will be a Star Trek Pinball by Stern in 2013.
I am hearing John Borg will be the designer, which is great cause his X Men game was brilliant and his design style leads to lots of different shots, and usually a 3rd flipper.

How many Trekky fans do we have on Aussie Pinball ?  !@#

Would you automatically put yourself in the line to buy a Star Trek pinball if it was a great Pinball machine ?  !@#

I am a huge Star Trek fan and I would automatically want to buy one cause I love all things Star Trek.

Lots of different ideas for cool toys n cool mods for this game.  Spaceship locking balls, a Transporter transporting the ball from one side of the playfield to the other. Lightshows could be great. Perhaps this game will be the first to use the new backbox boardsets and the new under playfield wiring.

If u are a Trekky, what are your thoughts on a Star Trek pinny for 2013 ?  !@#

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Star Trek - Stern 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
I never got into Star Trek, and doubt I would buy one but always love to try a new pin if one was sited somewhere or at a mates place.

Could be the first with a lcd dmd which would be good to see what they do there and the new rgb lighting on all pins would be awesome for the light shows. Just curious what the prices will be once they do the switch as that could reduce some sales a little.

Overall will be watching out of interest.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline dendoc

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
I assume it well be the new Trek movie theme, young Kirk/Spock etc. Hope the new pin as good as the film. Needs lots of Borg features to take over the targets or whaterver. Not too much Q - would be too nasty. I know these have nothing to do with new film, just best bits of Star Trek.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »
I am a Star Trek fan but I did not enjoy the last movie
there was nothing iconic about it, no scene from the movie was memorable

I have seen some pictures from the upcoming movie, and it looks like more of the same

unless there is something about the pinball machine that is awesome, then it will be another year that I do not buy another NIB Stern

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 04:43:23 PM »
this will make 5 star trek pinballs wouldnt it?

why?  *!@

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 04:50:09 PM »
this will make 5 star trek pinballs wouldnt it?

why?  *!@

Because their "marketing" department have their blinkers on. Trekkie Fans might have one or maybe two of the related pinballs, but I can't see them buying ANOTHER one for the sake of it.

Stern have lost touch with their customer base if they have to rely on remakes of remakes. Another step backwards for Stern.

Do something MODERN - So many awesome themes - "The Walking Dead" - something dark and interesting.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »
I don't understand these remakes  ^&^. How many versions of the same theme do we need ?? KISS is another one that should not go ahead and hopefully doesn't .

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:01:53 PM »
To my knowledge

Star Trek Bally 1979 (Spok n Kirk theme) 16,842 machines SOLD

Star Trek 25th Anniversary Data East 1991 (Spok n Kirk theme) 4,400 SOLD

Star Trek Next Generation Bally/Williams 1993 (Picard n Next Gen team) 11,872 SOLD

(**only 3 done so far to my knowledge. A Gottlieb 1971 title was the same name, but not based on the Rodenberry Star Trek series.)

The 2013 Star Trek would be based on when Kirk n Spok, Bones etc were younger based on the recent successful world wide films.

Star Trek is like KISS (Band) it has a fanbase that spans 30 plus years....and most would be both young and older fans, of all ages.
Who doesnt like a good Sci-Fi Space theme...always sold very well in the past.

Makes for a smart marketing move I would think for 2013...Both young people and old people would know the theme instantly.
Star Trek fans world wide would probably outrank any other fanbase 10 to 1.

I think it will be a great title to do since it hasnt been done since 1993, some 18/20 years ago.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 05:03:49 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline dendoc

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
Well said, especiall from a 7 year old (if that profile picture is up to date). Live long and pinball.

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 07:03:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm not a Star Trek fan, so will pass on this one. Always look forward to a new pinball machine being made, but don't have any interest to buy this and my bank account is thankful. hehe

KISS on the other hand, I would love a re-make with LCD and full band tracks. People say that this isn't going to happen, but I reckon it's not a question of if, but when. I think that AC/DC might be a tool for Gene Simmons/KISS to re-think their position and they may even want to outdo the popularity of the AC/DC machine.

Cheers!
Adam.

p.s. Toy Story has been a title that has been mentioned in rumour on the Stern Facebook page and on pinside in the last few years (around the same time of the Tron rumours first appearing).
p.p.s. The Walking Dead would be a great machine also. Another title that people on pinside have been mentioning a lot and not outside the realm of possibility.
p.p.p.s. Futurama would be another good one and people always mention it. We've had The Simpsons, South Park and Family Guy, Futurama would fit well in there.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 11:25:52 PM »
Well said, especiall from a 7 year old (if that profile picture is up to date). Live long and pinball.

Thats my 2 year old son Hunter.....(If u know Star Trek Voyager, you will know about the Hirogen Hunters) hence Hunter is his name.

He was just over 2 when he was playing my AC/DC Pro, he just turned 3 in December.....loves playing pinball. Loves to turn on all the machines and press the start buttons 10 times each.lol  His favourite is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Godzilla for the big Godzilla lizard Head.lol

Live Long n Prosper as well.lol  ^^^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:28:26 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 12:12:23 AM »

Being a Sci-fi fan I would love to even like STTNG, but I still feel embarrassment when playing it!! I used to enjoy the series way back, but it has not dated too well. Pity, the game play is good, the theme kills it for me. I did however enjoy the reboot, and while - as I do *every time* hold out hope Stern will ace one, we'll just have to wait and see again.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Sunfox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:42:34 AM »
You need to watch the new remastered STTNG on Blu-ray. Seasons 1 and 2 are out so far, and with new HD film transfers, remixed sound and improved special effects (done using the original optical elements, not some overdone computer effects), I think it's actually held up extremely well. I haven't seen the "original" STTNG episodes in quite a long time, but from the brief snippits included on the disc's documentaries, the special effects looked quite dated... but now they're really quite good.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:44:12 AM by Sunfox »

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 01:52:46 AM »
I will never buy it!!!
only because my mate up the road will buy it and i can play it there when ever i want  &&

you can never have too many star trek pins IMO  $#$
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »
I love the widebody Star Trek Next Generation machine from 1993. Its a machine I would never ever sell. I did have 2 of them but a friend begged me for ages to buy one of them so I let it go. I still have 1 x Next Gen and 2 x Star trek 25ths here.

As Beaky(Andy) said, u can never have enough of anything Star Trek.

I would prefer Stern did a compilation Star Trek theme which included the original Star Trek team, then Star Trek Voyager, then Next Gen characters, then finally Star Trek Enterprise on it as well. Sort of 30 years of Star Trek. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

If the 2013 movie version is fantastic, I would definately consider it......Perhaps Stern might make it special. Time will tell.......