Author Topic: Playboy  (Read 4045 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Playboy
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »
Gday all.
Finally got back to fiddling with this game after a long break .
Last work I had done was replace and repin the connectors for the rectifier board .
Also replaced the rectifier board with one rebuilt by another AA member as my other one is original and needs rebuilding itself after all these years as voltages are missing/out of spec.
In my haste last time to power up and measure voltages I had forgotten to check resistance between active /neutral etc at the plug .
The design of these old Bally’s where the transformer is wired directly to the back of the rectifier board and active and neutral traces are beside each other is very bad IMO .
When I plugged it in with the rectifier board back in position inside the head there was a bang and smoke (oops) and it tripped the RCD in the fuse box .
I suspect active and neutral were touching because I had left too much wire exposed and had not taken enough care when I remounted the rectifier board .
Anyhoo .. the game has sat untouched for around 13 months till today .
Today I reterminated active/neutral wires on the rectifier board and ensured they are separated when I remounted the board in the backbox.
Measured 10ohms between active and neutral at the plug so went ahead and plugged in J2 only (cabinet .. ie transformer) . (and J4 disconnected on MPU board)
Powered up with no bang/smoke and measured voltages on Rectifier board as
TP1 5.7V DC , TP2 170V DC, TP3 11.9V DC, TP4 6.65V DC and TP5 42V DC .. so all in spec

I then powered off , plugged in J1 (playfield) and J3 (G.I, solenoids etc) and remeasured test points

TP1 5.7V , TP2 234V , TP3 13.6V , TP4 6.5V and TP5 42.7V . Also checked C23 on solenoid driver board and it is well within spec.

About to do some reading but thought I would ask those here in the know .. is TP2 jumping to 234V normal ??
I need more room ! and more $$$