Author Topic: Intermittent fault with Creech .. the worst kind .. Chase lights fixed ??  (Read 253 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Gday all..
Have an intermittent problem where a ball isn't fed to the shooter lane when you achieve Multiball and game goes to ball search to find the other ball on the playfield .
Happens when you lock the ball in either the left or right holes .
Anyone got an ideas about that ?  

Cheers
Dave
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:41:44 PM by goodolddays »
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Intermittent fault with Creech .. the worst kind
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »
My first guess would be the trough switch - does the ball kicker actually fire?

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
I reckon it is the same opto problem you had before as when the ball goes into either hole it travels to the ejector, opto sees it to then tell the other ball to eject out for the multiball - so maybe check that lead again as it is an extension plug - possibly some vibration creates a poor connection as well as check the opto.

In addition like what ajiaird is suggesting maybe somewhere in the boards is a link between the opto and the trough switch.

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys .

When this happens the ball kicker doesn't fire .

I will soon be pulling this game down to give it a full clean and will have closer look at things then .

My thinking is if it was the trough switch or even the optos there would be a problem during normal game play too, but there isn't , only with mutiball and only intermittently .

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:15:53 AM »

Check that a ball is not getting "stuck" in the trough. As the trough wears, it forms divots where the ball resides.

Next time the problem occurs, turn the game off and open the front door. See if the ball that is supposed to be in the ball shooter lane is stuck in the trough.

Another test is that next time it happens, shake the game side to side and see what happens.

Very common fault - The only way to fix this properly is to dis assemble the trough and use a file to file out the divots.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »

Check that a ball is not getting "stuck" in the trough. As the trough wears, it forms divots where the ball resides.

Next time the problem occurs, turn the game off and open the front door. See if the ball that is supposed to be in the ball shooter lane is stuck in the trough.

Another test is that next time it happens, shake the game side to side and see what happens.

Very common fault - The only way to fix this properly is to dis assemble the trough and use a file to file out the divots.

Thanks for the tips Nino . I wonder why this doesn't happen during normal game play ?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »

Not sure, unless the second ball is always stuck and just moves along when the ball in play is drained. I'd also check the physical switches to see if the switch arms are not bent, causing the ball to "sit" in the trough ?

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:22:47 AM »

Gday Nino .

A shake from side to side caused the game to deliver the ball to the shooter lane so looks like the ball is getting stuck in the trough as you suggested .

I intend pulling this game down this weekend for a thorough clean so will suss this out then .

Thanks again

Cheers
Dave

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »

My feeling is one of the trough switches needs re-adjustment as it is preventing the ball from moving over it. Next time it happens, open the door and look at the positioning of the ball. The switch assembly is easily removed from underneath if needed. I think removing the apron and simulating the fault will prove the issue. From memory, the apron is difficult to remove due to the positioning of the right hand bowl ramp.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:28:07 AM »

My feeling is one of the trough switches needs re-adjustment as it is preventing the ball from moving over it. Next time it happens, open the door and look at the positioning of the ball. The switch assembly is easily removed from underneath if needed. I think removing the apron and simulating the fault will prove the issue. From memory, the apron is difficult to remove due to the positioning of the right hand bowl ramp.

Yeah , I already took the apron off last week to clean under it and had to remove the bowl , which is easy enough.

Will let you know the outcome, may well be a switch adjustment .. will see soon

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
Fixed .. the last ball was rolling  back along the  trough a bit and sitting there . Bent the trough slightly and now all ok.

Just have to find out why the chase lights aren't getting power (I assume that's the problem as the 5V led on the board is off)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:25:57 PM by goodolddays »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Got lucky with the chase lights .
Replaced the LM7805 (voltage regulator) on the chase light board and now chase lights work in attract mode and when you get multiball .  #*#
Are there other times when the chase lights should be on  ??