Author Topic: SOLD OUT - Affordable Chrome, Black & Gold SS Mirror Blades (1st Run)  (Read 38240 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Hi All

I can get blue but has to be made so batch 1 will be 1 sheet of silver, 1 x gold and 1 x black. I am seeing if I can get a larger sheet of gold to squeeze Humpalot's order into one run.

I will notify everyone over the weekend with totals and account details.

I also will relocate some of this info I think into the parts for sale and do a little cleaning up (my fault with releasing bits of info at a time  &^&)

I will start a second batch order list once the first batch is made and at this stage contemplating 1 x red, 1 x blue and 1 x gold) and that will probably be it for the year as got alot on.

Cursed is on the list for a blue Stern set
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:48:57 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
locked in el_timbo  ^^^

we are a goer for production, got enough numbers, will run a sheet of the standard chrome next week to ensure sizes are accurate then the second run (end of the month to early August) will be the guys on the list a few posts down. There are still some available options and will confirm blue mirrors maybe getting done in this batch early next week - could look awesome in FishTales, WH20, Avatar and X-Men.

I am also going to do a Early SS Bally (Skateball era) SS blades trial ....

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
PM sent. Order placed  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline spacies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Swinks,

The Stern profile fits DE. I checked some Stern ones on my GnR. I would double check before you commit as your profile may be different to mine but it should be good.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
Jady,

I will take a red set as well if you have them.
 ^^^
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
postage is a killer on the U.S ones but the price is right for 5 or more
they were .8mm if I remember correct and they were a tight fit

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I got this email from the guys in the us for 5 items:

"It would.....we can fit 5 sets per box.

If you got 5+ sets, I could do colored stainless steel sets for $200 each and regular ones for $100 each. Shipping would be much better spread over the 5 sets instead of just 2."

They quoted me 2 sets at $250 each with $175 freight thats $675 total.

that's why I thought I would do it myself as that is around $1200 for 5 sets of black or gold mirror freight where I can supply 5 sets with freight max $675. I have found another supplier who can do the coloured at -.8mm thick as well and there will be a small custom item with each set all going well for those ordering from the 1st & 2nd main run. Just have to see if my bending skills are good enough.

I currently have 0.9mm on my IM and yes a neat fit, but not marking the blades and I don't have felt on as yet.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:13:50 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Just a small tip with the felt strips.

Rather than a narrow felt strip, I prefer to apply a wider adhesive backed felt strip and apply it to the side of the playfield so that part of the strip can be folded over to the underside of the playfield and secured there as well.

The reason for this is that it stops any chance of the edges of the felt strip getting snagged on the sides of the cabinet/mirror blades when it is raised or lowered and eventually rubbing loose.

I bought these wider felt strips for this exact purpose since you can cut/adjust to a width of your choosing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Wide-Black-Self-Adhesive-Video-Projector-Screen-100-Wool-Felt-Tape-50-ft-/370629974976?pt=US_Projection_Screens_Material&hash=item564b449bc0

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane

Tight fit on all machines or just stern or just b/w etc?
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
^^ Great idea with the felt^^

Looking forward to seeing the colours in person.  ^^^ Thanks for organising this Swinks.  @@*

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:

Thanks.  ^^^

This is what I mean for folding over the felt to the underside. I didn't trim these felt strips any narrower at all just folded them over to the underside of the playfield.
I currently have "chrome" mirror blades on the CV and with the attachment tape and the felt strips it is a moderately snug fit. The important part is that the felt strips will now not snag or catch on the sides of the cabinet/mirror blades, plus do their job in acting as a cushioning buffer and are flexible enough that the playfield still slides in with ease and without scratching the blades at all. So you can just raise and lower the playfield in the usual way without worry.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:46:14 PM by pinsanity »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW

Tight fit on all machines or just stern or just b/w etc?

I have a set of someone else's on my IM and they are 0.9mm and there is still clearance and I have not applied felt yet (but will do). Also I have a creature which has plenty of gap between the play field and cabinet walls but 1 of the ramps above the play field is awfully close (though ramp is fasten different because  about lug has been pro ken off so fastening slightly off) so with the blade keep the accessories in mind as well but check if things are aligned properly as well.

To put it into perspective, pinball machines are made out of timber and therefore can expand and contract due to moisture in it's varied environments over the years. In addition these cabinets are made to spec but different producers for Stern and Bally / Williams will have slight variances over the years due to cutters being sharp, operator etc. (sorry to be particular but having my own cnc router and since I use to make cnc's I know how variances can creep in). Like stern at the moment making the X-Men as it has been a heat wave and then in Winter climates go the total other direction below zero which can affect the cabinets. So without copping out but also to empower you, you have the choice so when you are considering buying blades you need to determine if you can afford 0.8 to 0.9mm of blade on each side as well as some gap so you can safely raise the playfield. With the Bally blades the hinge hole is slightly large but this is to accommodate variances in manufacture. I know I am being very informative but I would rather that than the other as I want everyone to be happy with their purchase.

That aside thanks for the support everyone, it's a nice feel good to be able to provide something that many people want. I think they look great but some of the prices out there are just ridiculous. Warning though, like pinbals once you get one set you will want more.  &&

I will be ordering 1 sheet tomorrow as am changing my approach slightly but this is to benefit everyone and myself.
There will be Run 1 - 1 sheet of the affordable silver mirror purely as a test run - so if going well these will be sold off to those only just wanting the silver so some may jump the cue a little. As some of you want some gold, black and maybe another flavour will be done in Run 2 in about a weeks time but will be ordering that material in the next day or two as some of it has to be specially made - flavour orders  ^^^ I just didn't want you guys to be charged for double postage.

So please bare with me as I want you guys to get a product that fits and that everyone is happy with.

Also as a little bonus keep an eye out as I will be offering one set only as Free Issue Comp from this first run just to spread the joy - winner gets to choose a Stern or Bally/WMS set.  $#$

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW

Looking forward to seeing the colours in person.  ^^^ Thanks for organising this Swinks.  @@*

Thanks.  ^^^

This is what I mean for the felt. I didn't trim these felt strips any narrower at all just folded them over to the underside of the playfield.
I currently have "chrome" mirror blades on the CV and with the attachment tape and the felt strips it is a moderately snug fit. The important part is that the felt strips act as a cushioning buffer and are flexible enough that the playfield still slides in with ease and without scratching the blades at all. So you can just raise and lower the playfield in the usual way without worry.

Great tip and thanks for sharing  ^^^

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Replay

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland

Thanks.  ^^^

This is what I mean for folding over the felt to the underside. I didn't trim these felt strips any narrower at all just folded them over to the underside of the playfield.
I currently have "chrome" mirror blades on the CV and with the attachment tape and the felt strips it is a moderately snug fit. The important part is that the felt strips will now not snag or catch on the sides of the cabinet/mirror blades, plus do their job in acting as a cushioning buffer and are flexible enough that the playfield still slides in with ease and without scratching the blades at all. So you can just raise and lower the playfield in the usual way without worry.

does the playfield need to come out to apply the felt?

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
does the playfield need to come out to apply the felt?

No, you can if you want to felt the entire length of the playfield but I have found this is not necessary since if you use the thicker type felt I suggested earlier on both sides of the playfield this basically eliminates any side to side movement of the playfield itself, thus stopping any unprotected areas of the playfield from making contact with the mirror blades. Whilst I applied felt the whole length of the CV playfield since it was out of the cabinet anyway (resto job), I applied felt to approximately 3/4 of the length of the sides of my TZ doing the following with the playfield still in the cabinet:

In cabinet method:

What I did was to pull and raise the playfield to its vertical locking position resting against the backbox and then applying the felt as far back as you can reach BEYOND the edge of where the cab meets the playfield of at least a couple of cms beyond (it will be a tight fit to work it in there whilst the playfield is in situ I suggest physically pushing the playfield the few mms across to the other side of the cabinet whilst doing this for each side to give yourself a bit more room to work with).

Measure and cut the felt for both sides of the playfield the same length and apply them in the same starting positions on both sides to ensure the felt "buffer zone" is even.

Whilst it may seem like a chore, applying the felt beyond the edge of where the cabinet and playfield meet will ensure the felt will not snag or catch on the cab whilst the playfield is being slid back in from the forward locking position or lowered from the vertical locking position. it will still leave about a quarter of the back section of the playfield sides unprotected but as explained above the thicker type felt acts as a a cushion and stops any side to side movement of the playfield, and stopping any possibility of the unprotected areas rubbing against the blades.

It sounds over complex, but it should only take 10 minutes tops and will ensure that you never have to worry about scratching the panels when lifting or sliding the playfield in and out of the cab.  ^^^

PS: The felt goes on first and the blades are the last thing you install.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:30:03 PM by pinsanity »