Author Topic: G'day all.  (Read 1038 times)

Offline stiffington

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
G'day all.
« on: July 25, 2009, 04:04:10 AM »
I'm Chris from Melbourne. What an awesome site. Just begining to relive my pinball past after rediscovering my love for the classic arcade games a couple of years ago. Have restored 3 lowboy cabinets which are squashed into my loungeroom along with various other coin-operated machines. Particularly impressed with how well built these cabinets are, and Australian made. Yay! Sorry, getting off the track a bit.
I have great memories of long walks to the local bowling alley to spend my pocket money on pinnies such as Meteor with its mini playfield underneath the main one and later Centaur with it's evil sounding speech. I've recently purchased 2 late '70's pinball cabinets (Disco Fever and World Cup Soccer) and some bargain playfields from Mark at Child Amusements, and have really enjoyed finally seeing how all the parts work and have a great appreciation for the ingeniuity behind building them. I have a background in electronics and the plan is to somehow get one machine working DIY custom style, while I save for a Simpsons machine. If this fails, which it probably will, I was thinking of hanging the playfields on the wall as art. They've cleaned up really well and'll look cool.
Looking forward to sharing and learning with everyone. Thanks, Chris.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: G'day all.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 09:01:23 AM »
Welcome aboard, Chris. Sound like you should fit right in around here.

There are a few on here who have hung playfields on the wall as art, so if you need any tips, just ask.

How do you plan on getting the custom machine working (existing controller boards, or your own system)?

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 09:17:26 AM »
 %)% Chris. I can feel your enthusiasm from here. Sounds like this is the perfect site for you!

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
Hey Chris,

Welcome to Aussie Pinball - great into and I'm sure you will fit in here perfectly!

pinballist

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 10:12:53 AM »
Ahh, Mr Stiffington I presume  %.%

Hi Chris, having an electronics background is a huge asset if you want to get into this hobby because these old birds need a lot of maintenance and let's face it, what attracts most of us to the pinball collecting scene apart from the nostalgia is fixing & cleaning them.  You shouldn't have any problems hooking up some kind of Frankenstein pinball machine with all the parts you have  %$%

Welcome aboard mate  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »
Welcome Chris
                   Sounds like you will fit in here really well if you do hang the playfields on the wall make sure you post pics and tell everyone that you didnt wreck a machine for the playfields.   A few get a little upset when they have seen my creations lol   () ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 10:56:38 AM »
 %)% Chris, glad you found the place and hope you enjoy. We'' be asking you some of the tough electronics questions, so look out! Being in Melbourne, hopefully you can get along to the meet at Child Amusements today.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 11:29:27 AM »
 %)% Chris

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »
 %)% to the forum Chris! you're off to a great start!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 11:37:09 AM »
Welcome Chris
                   Sounds like you will fit in here really well if you do hang the playfields on the wall make sure you post pics and tell everyone that you didnt wreck a machine for the playfields.   A few get a little upset when they have seen my creations lol   () ^^^

Yeah, yeah, it wasn't so much the creations they were worried about. What's the opposite of creation?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 11:44:38 AM »

$.$ and  %)% to AP, Chris !

Nothing wrong with restoring Lowboys - I've done a few over my time, but they don't compare to the noise and visuals a pinball gives you. There's lots to look at on our site - so enjoy and ask plenty of questions !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 11:55:02 AM »
Welcome Chris

Yeah, yeah, it wasn't so much the creations they were worried about. What's the opposite of creation?
**& **&  DESTRUCTION  **& **&

Offline Peach

• Forum Posts:
  • Redcliffe
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »
 $.$

%)%
Life is short...smile while you still have teeth  ;-)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 09:29:57 PM »
 $.$ and  %)%
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline stiffington

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 09:39:31 PM »
Thanks very much for a great welcome. It's great to find such a friendly forum.
-Ddstoys: would never dream of destroying a machine for it's playfield, but had to restrain myself from smashing a playfield after stubbing my toe on it a couple of night ago.