Author Topic: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!  (Read 22081 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
Re: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
Brilliant Mitch. well done.

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2011, 10:55:59 PM »

Really Nice Mitch. I see it has migrated into the house !

Yepp Nino  *%* It has migrated into my lounge room already for reassembly  %.% This machine was always destined to be in the house rather than the garage  *%*

Since im here i might as well post some more pics  :D

This afternoon i repaired and repainted the light board out of the back box. Notice in the 2nd pic the piece of chip board broken off.. or as i call it, SHITboard  :lol :lol I removed this whole piece and cut out a new piece out of MDF and glued and nailed it on.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:00:52 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2011, 10:57:09 PM »
After i had fitted the new lamp surround piece, i then i gave the whole board a sand with 180 grit paper, and gave it a few coats of White Knight satin white.

After it had dried sufficiently to handle (a few hours) i fitted it into the backbox (patient bastard arent i??)  %.% %.%
The screws for the display holders and the latches are in the tumbler being polished as i type this, should be nice n shiny in the morning  :D

next item on the 'to do' list is to rebuild the power supply board. Wont be too much longer now!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:04:36 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #198 on: April 01, 2011, 01:14:19 AM »
Well its starting to really come together now  $#$ so i thought it was time for another update.

1st couple of pics of the power supply having been rebuilt, using new bridge rectifiers with heatsinks added, all pin headers replaced and new 1N4007 diodes for the display high voltage. Also i am replacing connector housings where needed, if they were burnt looking, and the freshly de-rusted and repainted transformer shield.

And a pic of the solenoid driver board installed, with new filter cap for the 5 volts and all grounding upgrades etc done as per Clay's repair guides. Notice someone has replaced the two small transistors in the high voltage regulator circuit, using TO220 cased transistors with pieces of aluminium angle mounted to them for heat dissipation on place of the original 2n3440 transistors. I may change these back to original later on if i can find the small heatsinks that fit the original transistors somewhere..

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #199 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:51 AM »
Here is a little mod that i did on my six million$man to help take the stress off the ground return line connector pins back to the power supply. I just run a few wires from some of the SCR ground traces back to a crimp connector that screws under one of the board mounting screws and gets grounded to the backbox aluminium ground shield.  This worked well on 6m$m, making the lamps brighter so i thought id do the same for KISS  *%*

And a pic of the boards all installed in the backbox  :D

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #200 on: April 01, 2011, 01:34:32 AM »
Must be getting close for the first game Mitch, looking good.  ^^^

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #201 on: April 01, 2011, 01:40:33 AM »
More pics.. i had to change some switch caps under the pf, someone had replaced some of the ceramic caps with polyester (greencap) capacitors as can be seen in the 1st pic, which would have been ok had they been the correct value, which they weren't!! so i went through all the switches (standup targets and bumper switches) that were supposed to have the caps and fitted new ceramic caps of the correct value.. well the originals were .05uF so used .047uF, which is close enough. I had already changed two of them in the 1st pic (the two small yellow ones).

When refitting the boards i tested the power supply first making sure it worked before hooking up anything else to it, everything tested ok so i hooked up the solenoid driver and tested the voltages out of it before connecting the other boards. It too was all good so i connected the other boards and fired it up.. and its ALIVE AND WELL (2nd pic)  #*#

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #202 on: April 01, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »
And tonight i fitted the pf! but on powering it up with the pf hooked up, all the GI lamps were dim and the GI fuse blew a few seconds later, meaning i had a shorted GI socket on the pf  ^&^ so after about 10 or 15 minutes of swearing at it  :lol and searching i found the culprit.. i had messed up with one of my jumper wires connecting the centre pin of one of the sockets, and accidentally hooked it to the ground  side of the socket &^& Anyhoo after correcting that little stuffup it powered up again nice n bright   #*#

Still have a few things to do before its finished, i need to repin the lamp driver connectors for the pf lamps as some of them are a bit dodgey, and im waiting on the new flipper buttons to arrive i have ordered, and clean and straighten the plastics.. Plus i want to do some more work on the backglass, and tidy it up some more, will post pics and info of that when i get around to it  *%*

but its getting close now!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 09:33:06 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #203 on: April 01, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »

Looking good Mitch - What a transformation !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #204 on: April 01, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »
Looking great Mitch .  ^^^ Looking forward to seeing how the BG turns out
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #205 on: April 01, 2011, 10:45:30 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys  ^^^

this afternoon i repinned ALL of the lamp connectors on the lamp driver board, so no more lamps going out!!

And i also straightened and polished the plastics and fitted them to the pf. I used new nylon acorn nuts to secure them instead of crappy rubber fasteners like it had when i got the machine.
some pics.. getting very close now.. i was tempted to fit the old flipper buttons just so i could play a few games  :D but i have decided to wait, and not rush things  *%*
So im just waiting on the new flipper buttons, and need to do a few more touchups on the backglass and i'll be done  #*#
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 10:48:46 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline PinPal

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
« Reply #206 on: April 01, 2011, 10:55:02 PM »
WOW!! Nice work  ^^^   @@*

Offline howzat

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »

Mitch
 you are very patience good to see     it looks really good   Howzat #*# 

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #208 on: April 07, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Well peoples... she's up and running, and playable again, the new flipper buttons arrived today from RTBB, so i wasted no time in fitting them when i got home from work!! but first i had to overcome a few switch issues before i could have a proper game. I had several rollover switches that were intermittent and no amount of cleaning would make them work reliably  ^&^ In the end i added .047uF caps across all the rollover switches, which seemed to eliminate the 95% of the problems i was having.. there's still one of the top rollover switches that plays up very occasionally, but after adding the caps and playing about a dozen games, its all working pretty sweet now  $#$

Also i DID reseat the connector on the MPU for the pf switch matrix, which cured another problem i had with the drop targets, so i still have to re-pin the switch matrix connectors, and possibly replace the pin headers on the MPU, which will be done soon.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2011, 10:26:55 PM »
A couple more pics.. Next will be some more backglass work after the switch connectors are done. But for the moment i'll play a few more games, and sit back and admire it  :D :lol