Author Topic: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!  (Read 22084 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Re: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« Reply #210 on: April 07, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
Well done Mitch have really enjoyed this thread looks fantastic

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #211 on: April 07, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »

Simply outstanding Mitch !

"Best KISS I've seen in a while" - Just to quote our eBay friend !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #212 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:02 AM »
Fantastic, a very very good end result there!

I guess it's a keeper!!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »
Fantastic, a very very good end result there!

I guess it's a keeper!!

yes it is most definitely a keeper  *%* *%* *%* *%*
I'm not quite done yet, just a bit more of a tidy up of the backglass, its problem areas are not really that obvious in the pics i have posted. I will post better pics later on showing the areas of concern, and how i intend on repairing them... before and after. It'll never look like a new glass again, but i intend to do what i can to make it more presentable. Ultimately i'd like to find a better glass (within Australia if at all possible). if i cant find one then i'll live with it as it is. As i have stated above this game is absolutely a keeper that will NEVER be sold, so there is no need for the game to look absolutely 100% perfect.. you wont be seeing this one on eGay  *.* *.* *.* *.*

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
Nice work mate, looks great  ^^^

Offline JD

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »
Great job Mitch. You never cease to amaze!

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2011, 08:02:57 PM »
Awesome job, I have learnt alot just reading this whole thread - thanks for all the detail.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:14 PM »
can not wait to see it ,for real,looks great Mitch.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »
Thanks guys.. muchly appreciated  ^^^

Im not quite done with this one yet, i still, as i said before want to do some more to the BG. Will post more pics and info when done.
i have been playing it a fair bit, and after sorting out the couple of switch issues it had its playing REAL NICE  $#$ plays nice and fast too  ^^^
the only other problem has been the CRAP #47 lamps i put in.. id say about a dozen of them blew in about the first ten games i played (i lost count of how many i've put in so far) ^.^ must have been a bad batch of lamps, i've bought several boxes of 100 lately, and never had a problem until this box i used in KISS  ^&^ And yes i have checked the voltage before anyone asks.. all good.. its the shitty chinese lamps that are the problem  *%*

Anyway now i have that off my chest  :lol :lol i have racked up over 50 games now and the lamps are still going so i guess im finally weeding out the bad ones  :lol i'm off to play a few more games and listen to some KISS  *%*

Offline radirgyman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2011, 05:34:34 PM »
+1

Offline billxixix

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2011, 04:54:56 PM »
+1

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #221 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:30 PM »
plays fast as, Mitch,it's a keeper for sure.best kiss I've seen or played.It just brings any game to life if it plays fast ,has great power in the flippers.wish I could get my T2 flippers that good !!!

Offline jumpback

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
thanks for posting your story

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:47 PM »
Hi all.. over the last few days i have been doing "phase one" of the backglass tidy up..

Some pics below of what i had to attack with phase one.. the yellow section across the bottom with all the "tilt" "game over" etc text behind it.
Nothing really groundbreaking done here.. same deal as my Dracula backglass resto i did a couple of years ago, and QuickDraw which i posted recently.

Pics show the lifted and cracked paint i wanted to fix. As usual i will be fixing what i can to make the glass more presentable, and leaving what i cant alone. this area is one of two areas on the glass i will be dealing with, which i considered pretty easy to tidy up, and make look decent.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
First thing i had to do was to carefully cut and scrape out the old yellow paint, but not before taking pics of the text that i could use to recreate the text later as reverse printed decals, same as i did on my Dracula BG. Again i used a scalpel blade heated in a flame to cut along where it met with the mirrored border, then with a small scraper blade i removed the old paint. I find that it helps if i have a fairly strong light shining up under the glass as im cutting, it actually can be seen through the silver mask, so i can see where i'm cutting.
Notice too that i put black marks on the lift channel and back of the glass itsself so i could later line up the text mask decals in their correct positions.

After i had the yellow scraped out and had cleaned the glass with windex and some paper towels, i sprayed some Triple Thick on to seal off the area to be painted, to eliminate the possibility of spraypaint bleeding under the surrounding original paint.

After the TT had dried i sprayed on a few light, even coats of yellow acrylic, followed with some flat white acrylic primer after the yellow had dried, to brighten the yellow a bit and to even out the glow from the lamps when backlit. As i usually do, i placed a desk lamp underneath the glass shining up through the glass as i sprayed, to give me an idea of how evenly the paint was going on.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:33:17 PM by Mr Pinbologist »