Author Topic: HV screw drivers  (Read 1244 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
HV screw drivers
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »
This is more for the video arcade guys I suppose but can apply to Pin2000. Is there a difference between a regular screw driver with an insulated shaft and what I have heard called a High Voltage screw driver?

Was thinking off adjusting the brightness pot on the tube but have been told to use a HV driver. Or is it just a matter of being extra careful and you'll be fine?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: HV screw drivers
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »

I've never heard of a HV driver and I've adjusted plenty of brightness pots in my time..

You can buy TV adjustment instruments from Jaycar etc - which are just plastic screwdrivers for adjusting pots and inductors.

Of course - on a standard chassis - You have a brightness pot, and you have a brightness pot on some EHTs.

not sure about a P2000..

The insulated shaft on a standard flat head should be fine - But the set from Jaycar and Dick Smith will do the job.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »
If you go to a decent electrical shop they have insulated screwdrivers (with different ratings) ie 1000v.  I thought these were mainly for sparky's working on live switchboards, powerpoints etc...I've never used one on my video games, but I've read they are used for discharging tubes etc..

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:43:28 AM »
I've heard the same about discharging tubes. I've got plenty of insulated screw drivers but they may be a little too large so I'll take a visit to jaycar and check out the range.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 12:44:18 PM »
This is more for the video arcade guys I suppose but can apply to Pin2000. Is there a difference between a regular screw driver with an insulated shaft and what I have heard called a High Voltage screw driver?

Was thinking off adjusting the brightness pot on the tube but have been told to use a HV driver. Or is it just a matter of being extra careful and you'll be fine?

Just use a plastic trim pot adjuster.  They are meant for monitor adjustment.  Monitor boards are fairly safe.  Just stay away from the suction cup on the monitor itself and the flyback transformer.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 10:50:38 PM »
funny you should say that, I was thinking of adjusting the brightness on the flyback pot. Maybe not a wise move huh?

Marty Machine

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 05:53:02 PM »
The HV screwdrivers are just next to the left-handed screwdrivers in the shop  !*! hahahaha

Being a TV tech as part of my job for over 2 decades, i can safely say that we've never had an official HV screwdriver or discharger, although plastic/insulated screwdrivers with earthing clipleads have been our main discharge tool for TV tubes.

Be aware that no matter how careful you are adjusting focus pots etc, you can still get a nice buzz from the EHT HV lead, especially leaky ones waiting to bite anything that moves near them.

If you can find solid plastic shaft screwdrivers with either plastic or metal tips, they would be preferable.

MM.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:40:31 PM »

Be careful adjusting the "Screen" Brightness... You don't want it to be too bright, as you are only driving the screen too hard, leading to premature failure. Generally, adjust the screen brightness so the background of the picture is black, and no raster (diagonal lines) showing.

Using plastic tools for adjusting the monitor chassis is best, but generally I don't bother. I've had more than my fair share of zapps over the years, so I suppose I know what I'm in for ^.^
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:42:21 PM by pinball-fixer »