Author Topic: Soldering Wire tips  (Read 1348 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Soldering Wire tips
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
This has always pissed me off not having 3 hands. Anyone have tips on painlessly soldering wires neatly while the part is on the playfield, like wires to coils etc.

My problems always begin when its to do with soldering 2 connected wires to a coil. Ideally I have someone holding the wires against the terminal and me holding solder and the iron. The job is a nice clean piece of work. Without that extra hand the job turns out with a big glob of solder or it just attaching to the terminal or worse the two wires seperating etc etc.

Any experienced solderer have ideas please?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Soldering Wire tips
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »
i hold the iron in one hand and the wire in my other hand between my thumb and finger next to my thumb, then i hold the solder in between my longest & ring finger in the same hand as the wire. it takes a bit of practice but after years of soldering it's easy for me. :D
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 07:43:47 PM »
i hold the iron in one hand and the wire in my other hand between my thumb and finger next to my thumb, then i hold the solder in between my longest & ring finger in the same hand as the wire. it takes a bit of practice but after years of soldering it's easy for me. :D

Sounds like using chop sticks to eat Chinese!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline patric67

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 07:57:40 PM »
This has always pissed me off not having 3 hands. Anyone have tips on painlessly soldering wires neatly while the part is on the playfield, like wires to coils etc.

My problems always begin when its to do with soldering 2 connected wires to a coil. Ideally I have someone holding the wires against the terminal and me holding solder and the iron. The job is a nice clean piece of work. Without that extra hand the job turns out with a big glob of solder or it just attaching to the terminal or worse the two wires seperating etc etc.

Any experienced solderer have ideas please?

try applying the solder to both parts first seperately. then solder the two parts together. learnt it off an electronics guy.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »
try applying the solder to both parts first seperately. then solder the two parts together. learnt it off an electronics guy.

Yep .. thats the way to go  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:30:02 PM »

Yep .. thats the way to go  ^^^

This usually works well enough, but you might need to add some additional flux to ensure nice join.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 03:22:04 AM »

Sounds like using chop sticks to eat Chinese!!
I forgot to mention i do tin both sides with solder first before my 'Chop stick' style of soldering.
If I can i remove the old solder in the hole on the coil or switch and put the stripped wire through the hole and bend the wire so the wire will sit there on its own, then I solder it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:26:01 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »

Two wires to one lug - Strip both wires back 1 CM. Twist each individual wire. Then twist the two wires together. Apply solder to the two (joined) wires. Apply solder to the lug and bring the joined wires onto the lug and you are done. Been doing this since I was 14 years old.

You can also place some shrink tubing over the new solder job to make it look nice  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 06:42:43 PM »
If I have to do a solder join in an awkward position I use a small alligator clip to hold the wires in position until I can get enough solder on them to hold ... Be careful not to get any solder on the ally clip .  %$%

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 06:57:53 PM »
Another alternative to the 'gator clip is a hemostat I always have a couple around,
has a million other uses too (or maybe only 999,999)  @.@
Lets go Brandon!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »
Thanks guys for all the useful tips. When I'm alone I'll try these out, but I must admit using the wife as the third hand is the best and for soldering as well  && @@*
Still loving my Metallica Premium