Author Topic: HRP T2 Chrome Restoration...  (Read 1755 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
HRP T2 Chrome Restoration...
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
Hi guys,

I recently finished a T2 restoration/custom and figured I would share a few highlights from the build.

The machine arrived somewhat complete. The playfield was in excellent shape but the cabinet was destined for the dumpster.

Fast forward a little the machine was stripped down, and a donor cabinet (Williams Hurricane) was sourced from Marty at MPR (Thank you).
This too had its fair share of problems to address but was for the most part solid. The back panel had suffered some heavy damage so this was addressed first up...

Hurricane had a cutout for a plunger so this front panel was also modified to suit the T2 gun handle/trigger setup...

While this went ahead i had started to get the playfield dialed in. There were still some imperfections at this point so this is very much an 'in process' snap...

Back to the cabinet - sanded, primed, painted etc...

Playfield finished, ready to rebuild...

GI for pops stapled down...

Underside populated, ready to install in the finished cabinet...

Back home, starting to trim out the rest of the cabinet...

Pinball Pro speaker upgrade and tightening up the playfield loom...

I decided to fabricate a mirror stainless speaker panel. Fit pretty well with the T2 theme as the original speaker panel art essentially represents the terminator eyes/head (chrome)...

Nearly finished populating the topside...

Just tidying up a few loose ends here... big thanks to Daniel (ddstoys) for his help troubleshooting some frustrating issues on this game. I should note he has helped dial in all of the games the shop has put out so far and has been a fantastic tech...

Final touches and i got it outside on a nice sunny day (luckily)...

Apologies for the shadow put over the rear of the machine. Bad timing i guess with the sun but what can you do  *!@ ...

That's about it. I did receive this email from the games designer which was indeed very rewarding for both myself - and the customer who commissioned this project.

"I am marveling at how great your T2 restoration (PLUS!!) looks!  It is magnificent.
The chrome on everything looks top notch, and the level of detail is astounding!
This is one of the finest restorations I have ever seen, and I will heartily recommend your work!  Fantastic!"

Steve Ritchie

Not that i want to show it off, but i thought it was worth while mentioning.

Final shot...

Packed and ready to pickup...

Thanks for reading as always guys. I have thinned out alot of the process for these posts due to their somewhat 'heavy' nature. Through the year I might try and do a writeup on getting cabinets ready for paint or some playfield restoration how-to's for some of the guys i receive questions from.
As always thanks for supporting my business and I look forward to posting a few more of these for people to see.

el_timbo

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: HRP T2 Chrome Restoration...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »
No wonder Steve Richie was impressed Tim. Who wouldn't be . What an AWESOME result  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
Another great resto, very impressive tim
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »

Always a pleasure to read your resto threads, Tim. Steve is dead on the money. You could not have a better qualified judge to offer such high praise.

Lucky owner  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:49 PM »
Just absolutely stunning  ^^^
Makes me want the game even more now  #@#
DW Drums rule !

Offline indazone gav

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 10:51:51 PM »
Man, you have blown my mind. Simply Outstanding ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:20:19 PM »
No wonder Steve Richie was impressed Tim. Who wouldn't be . What an AWESOME result  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

+1   @@*
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline spook

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane, QLD
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 12:31:48 AM »
As always, I really enjoy your write-ups and resto threads Tim .... another absolutely awesome result. You are a freak!   @@*
Wanted: Another Williams Flash

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 01:33:38 AM »
My previous post timed out grrrrrrr..

This game looks sensational from the wreck we moved into your new workshop to the Steve Ritchie approved remake  is simply amazing.

I'm always happy to help Tim getting the games up as running.  Like I told your dad you make em pretty I make em work (sorry mate couldn't hold back)

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 04:38:21 AM »
Stunning work as usual mate  ^^^

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:06:10 AM »
Sensational work as usual Tim. Great to see a T2 brought back to better than new. Awesome game as well.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
Have to agree with all comments.. the level of restoration and QUALITY is second to none... Timbo mate... you do bloody brilliant work  ^^^

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 11:53:10 AM »
AND ITS MINE....ALL MINE...!!!

I picked the game up yesterday and after setup, the kids have been playing it non stop.  It was great fun unwrapping it after getting it in the house. 

Tim took an enormous amount of pics for this restoration with commentary on his site and the work and attention to detail is simply jaw dropping.  It is basically a mint brand new (better than factory) machine with basically all new parts.  Tim's cabinet artwork on this machine is just mind blowing.  The playfield clearcoat is like glass.  Tim will be sending me a copy of Steve Ritchies email (which was mighty impressive in itself)

I am one very happy customer! $#$ $#$ $#$

If anyone is considering commissioning Tim for a high end restoration, I say go for it.

Thanks again Tim...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 11:58:39 AM »

Great to hear!! I have seen a lot of Tim's work and some of the behind the scenes systems Tim has developed and he really has made this into an artwork. The finished product is IMO so much better than a standard "new" game.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »
AND ITS MINE....ALL MINE...!!!

I picked the game up yesterday and after setup, the kids have been playing it non stop.  It was great fun unwrapping it after getting it in the house. 

Tim took an enormous amount of pics for this restoration with commentary on his site and the work and attention to detail is simply jaw dropping.  It is basically a mint brand new (better than factory) machine with basically all new parts.  Tim's cabinet artwork on this machine is just mind blowing.  The playfield clearcoat is like glass.  Tim will be sending me a copy of Steve Ritchies email (which was mighty impressive in itself)

If anyone is considering commissioning Tim for a high end restoration, I say go for it.

Thanks again Tim...

Good one Jase ! You are a very lucky man !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia