Author Topic: When is "next weekend"??  (Read 983 times)

Offline pinmadd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: When is "next weekend"??
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »
Monday to friday is "This weekend"  "next weekend" is if you get asked on the weekend after that  ????  That's how i  thought it went??   *)*

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 05:21:40 AM »
It's a well-known fact that "man-on-the-street" interviews result in 50% correctness even on easy questions, so you can throw out the office and family/friends polls right off the bat.
The right answer relies on more reliable fact finding - like asking me, for instance.

Monday to friday is "This weekend"  "next weekend" is if you get asked on the weekend after that  ????  That's how i  thought it went??   *)*

The above quote is almost there, but I'll clear it up a bit.
Monday thru Friday weekend references:
"This weekend" is the next upcoming weekend. Can also add "This next weekend" or "This next coming weekend" for redundancy.
"Next weekend" is the weekend after this next upcoming weekend", so that gives you 7 days or more to finish the project or pay off a debt.
Redundant phrases - "Weekend after this one", "Not this weekend, but the next", etc. take a little more time but also clears up that you have no money now, but hope to have a windfall in less than a week.

Saturday or Sunday weekend references (meaning you're in the middle of a weekend and already either talking about the next or reminiscing about the current one):
"This weekend" still means the one you're in the middle of. Speaking this phrase gives you very little remaining time to pay Guido, so you better have the money in your pocket already.
Being in the middle of a weekend and saying "Next weekend" refers to the one almost a week into the future. You should really almost be done with the project, like finished, play-tested and maybe just needing a Windex job on glass surfaces. Really a week or less only gives you time to remove fingerprints and other minor evidence.

It seems different, but not as much as you might think when comparing weekends to highway exits. "Take the next exit" means the next one you come to, so begin slowing down. To skip the next exit and take the following one requires you to say so, i.e. ""Not this exit, but the next one".
"Take this exit" is what passengers say when you're going too fast to actually take this exit without slamming on the brakes immediately and veering toward the shoulder. Research shows* that this is the most common phrase uttered before all highway accidents (like 95%), more than texting, drunk driving, and mobile hummers combined. So if someone says this to you, take your time and stay alive, then hire a detective later to investigate them because they are trying to kill you.

* Research shows that use of the phrase "research shows" is useful for getting your way. It makes your argument sound authoritative and usually the audience will simply submit and surrender to your position. Nobody will look into it so they are just stuck. More energetic folks may ask for details, but they still won't look into it so you simply have to make up a professional-sounding reference, like
"Dr.s Moody and Hall at the university of (insert name of large university here) proved this in their August 2004 Journal paper titled Human Behavior and Traffic Safety ".

In a related vein, there is also confusion surrounding use of the word "yonder".
"yonder" by itself means within arms reach or pretty close to it.
"over yonder" means within sight, but in no particular direction.
"over yonder way" is given in conjunction with a hand gesture to indicate helpful vector information.
"up over yonder" and "up over yonder way" are pretty far away but you can still get there from here. The latter includes vector information.
"way up over yonder" means the destination does exist but it's very far away and you might as well just crack open a beer because you can't get there from here anyway.

Glad I was here to clear all this up.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:23:03 AM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:23 AM »
What happens if it is a "long weekend" ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
Oh Vinito, you cracked me up once again!   ^^^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »
Talk about putting in the effort well done vinito.  I don't think I wrotethat much to pass my year 11

Offline 48

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 02:41:31 PM »
What happens if it is a "long weekend" ?

Then next weekend won't be!
Unless its the Christmas long weekend this year !@#
Lets go Brandon!