Author Topic: 2012 - Midwest Gaming Classic - Show Photos  (Read 411 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
2012 - Midwest Gaming Classic - Show Photos
« on: March 31, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »
I found this batch of photos which is nice to check what the lucky ones are doing in the US.

The guys from Chicago Pinball Mafia used a "camera on a stick" rig to get a high point of view.

"These pictures show the arcade hall, the vendor hall, and all the spillover (extra games) that couldn't fit into the arcade hall. They DON'T show the two arcade rooms in the basement (each with roughly 20 vids in them), nor do they show anything of the museum wing nor pinball tournament area (how did THAT happen!???!?). They also show the after party on saturday.

Posted them on the Chicago Pinball Mafia's (plug) website, http://www.pinballmafia.net/ :

Set 1:

http://pinballmafia.net/pictures/show_pictures.php?yearmonth=MGC+2012subset1

Set 2:

http://pinballmafia.net/pictures/show_pictures.php?yearmonth=MGC+2012subset2

Enjoy!"
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: 2012 - Midwest Gaming Classic - Show Photos
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »
Thanks for the links Swinks ( I am a poet and didnt know it  $#$ )
LOVE seeing images of big events - there is something 'special' about those type of images.

Observations....
That dude in the green check shirt seem to be IN CHARGE of something in Set 2  #@#

Have never seen or heard of a Star Trip cocktail pinball before

The dude in the 2nd last image in Set 2 looks like David Draiman - Disturbed frontman  ()

There is always ..... ALWAYS one idiot who has to shove his fingers up in the air to spoil a photo &^&

A 'prawn' is playing Rolling Stones  ( think about it boys and search the other pics ) &&

Jurassic Park topper is ATROCIOUS  ^.^

A young George Harrison was in attendance  %.%

A NICE sized crowd was in attendance  #*#

How the skinny 'munchies tables' survived in that position I have idea
Dude in yellow shirt was clearly a little hungry  #@#

They had a Pharoh - damn it - I love Pharaoh
They had a big juicy melons - damn it I LOVE big juicy melons  #@#

Looked to be a really nice mix of games from all era's mixed with some video gaming stuff as well.
These guys mixed in a little PC gaming stuff as well - smart idea to pull extra crowds.

@@* @@* @@*

Why we cant do this for pinball in Oz continues to elude and frustrate me the more I see events like this !

Did anyone see the bloody Comicon event in Adelaide this weekend FFS - 5000+ people BEFORE midday - for comics and cartoon stuff that they themselves admit are nerdy and yet we , as a bunch of pinball hobbyists sit here scratching our heads wondering why a pinball expo wouldn't work here  :wtf:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:23:26 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »
 %.% ha ha , in the second set of photos look for the kid playing SECRET SERVICE ( bottom right ) and obviously lost a ball as he is banging his head on the glass  %.%
 ah the reactions pinball creates in people !
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 11:35:16 AM »

Each time I see events like this I remind myself that I really need to get my passport updated. It's the only way I'll ever see something like this. Maybe spend a year in the USA and travel around to all the shows.

Wotto - We had our chance in 2009. It was not done properly. But there needs to be another attempt sometime in the future  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »
Great pics, would be great if we could organise something again down here  *%*

Offline TheKorn2

• Forum Posts:
  • Chicago
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:58:27 AM »
Hi, I'm TheKorn (OKOK, TheKorn2) and I'm the photographer (along with one of the founders of the Chicago Pinball Mafia).

For background, the Midwest Gaming Classic is really an 'all purpose' gaming show.  That means it covers (or at least attempts) all the bases from arcade gaming (pins & vids, what I mostly took pictures of), to old computer games (atari 400/800, C64), to table games (card and figuring based), to console games (NES, TG16, Jaguar).

A large part of the show is dedicated to the vendor area, which is what you're looking at when you look at this picture:  http://pinballmafia.net/pictures/_DSC4107.jpg  On that table you'll see a ton of Sega Genesis (MegaDrive) and NES (Famicom) cartridges, among other things.

That dude in the green check shirt seem to be IN CHARGE of something in Set 2  #@#

A NICE sized crowd was in attendance  #*#

That's Dan Loosen, one of the two founding organizers of the show making announcements and thank-yous at the start of the after party. 

What's going on is the show runs on Saturday from 10AM to 8PM.  (Also runs on Sunday.)  At 8PM, they boot everyone out.  Then at 8:20 or so they start letting machine owners (and show friends) back in to play until midnight or 1AM as a thank-you.  That's why there are tables, food, and drinks in the arcade hall.  (People had fairly well decimated things by the time I had moved to that side of the room, leaving just the tables.  ^&^)

The reason why most of the pictures are from the after-party is that the crowd is just far FAR too thick with people to even attempt camera-on-a-stick photography otherwise.  Imagine if you're at a very well attended house party where you have to plan your moves through the crowd several in advance, and you'll have a good idea of what the mid-day Saturday crowd is like at the MGC.  (Easily double the people of the after-party pictures.)

There is always ..... ALWAYS one idiot who has to shove his fingers up in the air to spoil a photo &^&

Ha!  That's Jay, he's a good friend of mine, hence the double bird.  I took a second picture without him acting up, but that really is Jay so I figured it was appropriate.

They had a Pharoh - damn it - I love Pharaoh

Cool, I was responsible for bringing the row of pins that included Pharaoh.

Why we cant do this for pinball in Oz continues to elude and frustrate me the more I see events like this !

Each time I see events like this I remind myself that I really need to get my passport updated. It's the only way I'll ever see something like this. Maybe spend a year in the USA and travel around to all the shows.

Wotto - We had our chance in 2009. It was not done properly. But there needs to be another attempt sometime in the future  ^^^

Since I'm not Australian, mind if I ask what happened back in '09?  (If it's not too sore of a subject, of course!)

I have to admit I'm somewhat spoiled.  I hit three shows every year:  MGC, Pinball At the Zoo, and Pinball Expo in Chicago.  And they're all relatively close to each other!  http://tinyurl.com/7era3sh   I keep hearing how "big" pinball is down under, and realistically the countries are the same size (http://maps.howstuffworks.com/australia-us-comparison-map.htm).  So surely you have enough people and machines down there to warrant at least one pinball show, right?

Nevertheless, thanks for the kind words and glad you all enjoyed the pictures.  It's always interesting to see how far they fly.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 06:50:22 AM »
Welcome thekorn2, and glad you found us and shared so much on your first post. I found your info on pinside (member there) and wanted to share with the guys here. 09 was before my time in pinball so hopefully one of the other guys will share.

Keep up the good work, I really enjoyed your photos.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 07:35:42 AM »
Keep up the good work, I really enjoyed your photos.

+1 . Thanks for filling us on some of the behind the scenes stuff
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline TheKorn2

• Forum Posts:
  • Chicago
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 07:54:52 AM »
Thanks and no problem; pictures without context only tell half the story as far as I'm concerned. 

I mainly swung by because I was looking at my server logs and said out loud, "heyyyyy, why is half our bandwidth going down to australia the last few days?"   !*!   Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, but it inevitably gets me curious!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:02 AM »
Thanks Korn for dropping by with all the info, much appreciated - Vegemite Nick on RGP.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »

$.$ Korn and  %)% to Aussie Pinball !

Thanks for sharing the pictures. We had an "expo" in 2009 and while well attended, in was a facade for an auction of container pins. There is massive potential for properly run show, like the shows you guys are lucky enough to have in the USA. I'm sure it will happen, with the right people involved.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »
All going well I'll be attending the Expo 2013 fingers crossed and I can't wait-now on a side note if anyone ever meets my wife don't mention this statement () I'll tell her that she's NOT going when we are out for tea or choosing a present for her.

I to wonder why we with such a huge pinball following can't have a few expo's in OZ-I attended the 2009 one in Syd and it was fun but really just an auction.

Peter

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 10:11:04 AM »
 %)% Korn, great to hear some info on the event, looks like a great line up of machines  *%*

Offline TheKorn2

• Forum Posts:
  • Chicago
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »
Thanks Korn for dropping by with all the info, much appreciated - Vegemite Nick on RGP.

Heya Nick, long time no type!  I'd ask where you've been, but I think I already have the answer.

We had an "expo" in 2009 and while well attended, in was a facade for an auction of container pins. There is massive potential for properly run show, like the shows you guys are lucky enough to have in the USA. I'm sure it will happen, with the right people involved.

Now that you mention it, I sort-of (kind-of) remember hearing about that.  Thanks for the reminder!

I think putting on a show might be easier than some of you think.  There are lots of unconventional places where pinball shows can work, not just hotels.  For example, pinball at the zoo takes place at the county fairgrounds.  The MIpinball (detroit, really) show takes place at a student center at a university during their spring break.  The south florida APE show also takes place at a university.  And the ohio show takes place at -- of all places -- an abandoned supermarket!  In other words, there are lots of 'unconventional' spots to hold shows that aren't all that expensive to rent (especially in the case of the supermarket), which cuts down on the cost of the show considerably.  Obviously it's not a zero-cost operation, but with a few dedicated people it can happen fairly easily.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
And the ohio show takes place at -- of all places -- an abandoned supermarket! 

If it is held in a supermarket here , there had better still be boxes of tissues available on the shelf for my competitors when i kick their scores ar$e  :lol :lol :lol

And aint out little Nicky a popular boy  #@#
DW Drums rule !