Author Topic: Addams Restore  (Read 5814 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Addams Restore
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:19:35 PM »
Thanks to Cave of treasures i have finally got my hands on a Addams project. #*# $#$
Brett really went out of his way to help and i cant thank him enough
The machine had a few issues that i am slowly resolving i want it working 100% before i do a playfield swap so that if it doesnt work when completed i know i stuffed up some where.
One issue that i would like advice on is the Things flipper  only works very intermittently the  bottom left flipper works fine and power is to the flipper.
When i ground the casing on Q6 TIP102 on the fliptronics board the flipper works fine so i guess all the wiring and coil are ok.
I tested Q6 as per Clays  and it seems ok I would have replaced Q6 but Jaycar dont stock them
I have replaced transistor Q14 but still no change so i am now looking at replacing IC U2 .
Any advice appreciated.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Addams Restore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:24:12 PM »

Well done Cavey (again) !

I would not be too concerned about the flipper fault - it may disappear after the flipper rebuild part of the restore. You can check connectors etc as you go along.

Congrats on the purchase and I look forward to your work.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 12:34:40 AM »
Happy to help out wherever i can.  ^^^

Finding an Addams Familys now, anywhere for sale is becoming almost impossible, without paying crazy money.

I will get Andy (Beaky) a manual for the Addams and have him call you. No matter what, we will get those few faults sorted out. I am happy to even fly Andy down for a weekend. He loves getting away from me. lol   He will love the jetstar hosty girls even more !

The man could make a radio out of coconuts he is so dam clever. Martin sent it off before Andy had a look at it by the sounds of it.

We will get it sorted. PM sent.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:48:04 AM »
this is a silly question but have you made sure its not the contacts at the flipper button causing the problem? (i am assuming it has contacts and not optos as the manual does not show optos)

try lifting the play field and pressing the contacts from the inside towards the flipper button (after starting the game or in test mode) if the flipper works every time when you do this then it is the contacts.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:01:42 AM »
this is a silly question but have you made sure its not the contacts at the flipper button causing the problem? (i am assuming it has contacts and not optos as the manual does not show optos)

try lifting the play field and pressing the contacts from the inside towards the flipper button (after starting the game or in test mode) if the flipper works every time when you do this then it is the contacts.

Andrew

Both bottom flippers work fine top right and top left are intermittant so flipper buttons are working .
Im confidant that the problem is either Q6 or U2 on the fliptronics board will try and find some time this weekend to sort it out.

Cheers

John

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »

Andrew

Both bottom flippers work fine top right and top left are intermittant so flipper buttons are working .
Im confidant that the problem is either Q6 or U2 on the fliptronics board will try and find some time this weekend to sort it out.

Cheers

John
i just thought i would start with the basics.
This pin left before i could check it over.

i would be very suprised if it is a transistor or ic, i would be more inclined to think that it would be a dry solder joint or a bad connection some where.
any way thats just my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:49:20 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 10:37:13 AM »

Andrew

Cheers

John
i just thought i would start with the basics.
This pin left before i could check it over.

i would be very suprised if it is a transistor or ic, i would be more inclined to think that it would be a dry solder joint or a bad connection some where.
any way thats just my opinion.

Most of the problems I have had with flippers (intermittent or not) have been due to dry joints (resolder) or end of stroke (EOS - adjustment or new EOS switch). So yeah, start by resoldering the flipper connections.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:35:09 AM »
Got a few hours spare yesterday and sorted out all problems
Resflowing all solder joints on IC U2 seems to have fixed Things flipper and  Beaky was spot on with the right top flipper, connector adjacent to flipper button was open cct temporarily bridged and now working fine only other problem was one power magnet was down to 1 ohm resistance and blowing the fuse, disconnected that magnet now ok will add a new magnet to my list to order.
All in all not too much wrong with this machine .
Will add a few photos of the condition soon.
All i have to do now is stop playing it so i can restore it .

Cheers

John

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »
well done  ^^^

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »
A few pictures

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »
A few more

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »
And from the inside

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 08:32:28 AM »
Looks like a good, solid project game.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 09:38:21 PM »
Yeah it should turn out ok
Would like to try and restore the machine similar to what Finny has done with his restore (If Possible)
Have a repro playfield to install new cabinet decals came with the machine and i am in the middle of getting a list together of what other items i need .
As you can see some turkey dealer has nailed about fifty nails around the base of the cabinet and the ball shooter metal cover has been cracked will try and have it welded up .
Only other issue is that the ball seems to get stuck in the swamp occassionaly will have to see what options i have to fix
As this is my first real restore there may be a lot of questions and i am always open to advice.

Cheers

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 09:50:18 PM »
Looks good Faza!

Cavey sure got you a great looking machine to start with.

I'll be looking forward to your updates!