Author Topic: Desoldering equipment  (Read 3097 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Desoldering equipment
« on: December 01, 2008, 06:09:01 PM »
Wish I had one yesterday. I'm no PCB soldering expert but trying to take off an opto from a TZ clock PCB was a teo man job. The wife pulling (like all good wives should do) and me pushing with a hot poker...I mean soldering iron.

Would one of these desoldering guns help in such a case as well as replacing pins on PCB's etc etc or am I mistaken on the discussion?

The trick to taking off most components without a desoldering gun is to cut the legs of the component off.  Once you do this remove the component and heat the leg.  You should then be able to easily slide the leg out of the socket with no force.  If it requires any force STOP and re-examine.  Whenever you try to pull something out and it resists is when you'll probably pull a pad and/or a trace.  This trick works with about everything but axial lead caps and chips.   

I'll second that.  Had the same tip from Ian (MarkC's] today.  I had to remove 2 x 6821 PIA's from my System 11 board today.  I cut the pins off each IC (removed it as I knew it was trashed anyway).  Heated solder, pushed pins through then cleaned up with a solder sucker and finally a bit of iso alcohol.  No damage and very clean removal...