Author Topic: WTF Popeye Pinball WMS ?  (Read 587 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
WTF Popeye Pinball WMS ?
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:36:29 AM »
Ok, i admit it, I own a Popeye Widebody in mint condition and I think it has alot going for it. I am going to cop heaps from this post.
But, its all good.Fire away. lol. but I want you to add ya thoughts at the end, this post has a twist. !@#

In fact, I have just gotten the Popeye machine fully redecalled and the machine looks absolutely like Brand New. I have added a Mark C brand new coin door, plus new leg bolts/silver feet etc and have shined the silver legs up like new.The playfield was immaculate anyway so nothing needed there.
I am picking up the machine from the decal fellow next weekend. I will post a few photos of what a Popeye looks like when it is shopped and made to look like new.The decals were the magic here.  ^^^
APART FROM THE FACT THAT ANYTHING ASSOSCIATED WITH THE TERM "SAILOR MAN" USUALLY BELONGS IN THE MARDIS GRAS,the Williams widebody Popeye actually looks like a real upmarket pin. Lots of colours, great general illumination and playfield flashers and general lights look terrific.I did buy it for my 8 yr old daughter.Even she thinks Popeye is "really strange". She asked me why he ate seaweed, i told her it was spinach, she said "same thing". lol. %.%

Here comes the twist, can YOU add the name of any pin that has ever been made that has a stigma attached, where people dont like to admit owning it.I know most pin heads wouldnt admit to owning Popeye. What other titles also cop heaps and end up in the "unwanted family member basket".
Any titles come to mind ?  !@# !@# !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Rod71

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
Re: WTF Popeye Pinball WMS ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:00:19 AM »
Hmmm, Street Fighter 2 would probably be the obvious choice.  I actually don't mind that game.

Bally Future Spa from 1979

Williams Darling/Jubilee EM from 1973

A bunch more that i cant think of right now.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 01:02:26 AM »

try Judge Dredd

funny we looking at a popeye today

has matching boards and LESS than 1000 games since new
near mint cond

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 01:03:49 AM »
Oh, this would have to rate right up there

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:07:09 AM »
I enjoy Popeye. Owned one until I lost my job earlier this year. Sold it because I was sure I could replace it rather inexpensively. It is much better a machine than it gets credit for!

I can't believe you found decals for it, though, as nobody I know is making them!

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 01:07:29 AM »

try Judge Dredd

10 years ago perhaps.  Today it enjoys somewhat of a cult status.

Oh regarding the Popeye decals?.  Wouldn't have thought there would be much demand for these.  Same with JD and Demo Man.  Never hear anyone talking about decals for those games.  So I am surprised you were able to get them for the Popeye.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 01:11:17 AM »

try Judge Dredd

Oh regarding the Popeye decals?.  Wouldn't have thought there would be much demand for these.  Same with JD and Demo Man.  Never hear anyone talking about decals for those games.  So I am surprised you were able to get them for the Popeye.

he's popey the sailor man, he accomplish anything  <.> LOL
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 01:26:05 AM »
Re Decal availability, seek and you shall find.lol.
Maybe it was the handful of cash i had to offer a collector.Some people keep stuff for a rainy day.

You offer money, people say "not available". You double your offer and people say "ohh, actually, i might have a spare set, wait here".
Theres nothing u  cant find when u offer up silly money. but if ya need it, u need it. Will post some photos next weekend.
It looks a treat, thats for sure.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »
I have a 2nd popeye that I am selling for an estate, and the cabinet is as nice as I've ever seen on a popeye! I've thought a couple times about buying it myself. It gets a bad rep, but it's not a horrible game.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 02:11:14 AM »
Well - stop teasing! give us a price and let's see who is interested (I am).
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 03:22:55 AM »
heres the video of the original promo. quite a deep rule set too. the playfield is unique with the wood colour. a very under-rated pin for sure.

&feature=related

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:14:36 AM »
Here comes the twist, can YOU add the name of any pin that has ever been made that has a stigma attached, where people dont like to admit owning it.I know most pin heads wouldnt admit to owning Popeye. What other titles also cop heaps and end up in the "unwanted family member basket".
Any titles come to mind ? 

Capcom Flipper Football. I originally bought mine to have spare parts available for BBB, but got it going and decided it was quite fun, and a classic (in adult mode) when there's a few guys and a decent amount of booze has been consumed.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 10:55:05 AM »
Why be scared to admit you own a less than "A class" title?
All machines are fun, admittedly to various degrees, and some represent really great value because they are not popular.

People used to bag-out Fish Tales alot more, but in the last year or so I have seen it appear amongst the collections of TAFS, IJs, TZs etc. Its like judging a book by its cover, and it doesnt surprise me that Pop-eye is a good player. Another pin that deserves better recognition is Royal Rumble, the theme is take or leave, but look at the gear and layout on that PF.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »

try Judge Dredd

demo man i have sen too

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 11:11:47 AM »

People used to bag-out Fish Tales alot more, but in the last year or so I have seen it appear amongst the collections of TAFS, IJs, TZs etc. Its like judging a book by its cover, and it doesnt surprise me that Pop-eye is a good player. Another pin that deserves better recognition is Royal Rumble, the theme is take or leave, but look at the gear and layout on that PF.

I dont recall FT ever really copping the same flack as Popeye, JD, SF2 etc.

I can see the theme of FT not appealing to everyone.  But it's hard to deny that it's a colourful, good looking and fun machine.

FT and Getaway would have made huge money on location due to them being easily accessible to the casual player for a quick bash.

As for Royal Rumble.  Yuck.  I dont give a shit how loaded the playfield is, i'd never own one  %.%  Terrible theme.  However, i'd be quite happy playing someone elses.  :lol