Author Topic: Gottlieb Haunted House restoration (by Ian)  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Gottlieb Haunted House restoration (by Ian)
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2009, 10:50:49 PM »
Thank you very much Ian...
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »
Wow thats coming up a treat. well done, those touchups look great ^^^ ^^^

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 07:50:37 PM »
 @@*

Awesome work.  Great looking machine and worth all the hard work you've invested into it.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
Wow Ian, that game looks a million dollars!   ^^^

I want to play one  :lol

Haven't played a HH for about 15 years and after playing Rollerballs BH was very impressed  *%*

The paints you bought from Spotlight, how many different colours did they stock?

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2009, 08:24:40 PM »
Wow Ian, that game looks a million dollars!   ^^^

I want to play one  :lol

Haven't played a HH for about 15 years and after playing Rollerballs BH was very impressed  *%*

The paints you bought from Spotlight, how many different colours did they stock?

probably about 12 to 15 different colours.

yea i was playing HH before the resto began with some ordinary rubbers on it, with all the new rubbers and just rolling the ball around the PF you can see the extra bounce, cant wait to fire it up again.

Ian

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
Ian,

Did you have to do any other mods to your HH, like the pull-up resistors for under playfield transistors and the fuse/capacitor mods for slings etc as well?

(I'm about to embark on these myself).

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »
Ian,

Did you have to do any other mods to your HH, like the pull-up resistors for under playfield transistors and the fuse/capacitor mods for slings etc as well?

Mate the pull up resistors were already there, done at the factory by the looks of it.

still got the fuse/caps to do, i got some inline fuse holders for the job.(some caps were done but will replace them)

I have a pop bumper board for the up kicker on the lower PF to hook up as well.

I have upgraded all the pop bumper boards 2 of them for the main PF and 1 for the attic PF and 1 for the cellar PF

Ian

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Ian,

Mate the pull up resistors were already there, done at the factory by the looks of it.

still got the fuse/caps to do, i got some inline fuse holders for the job.(some caps were done but will replace them)

I have a pop bumper board for the up kicker on the lower PF to hook up as well.

I have upgraded all the pop bumper boards 2 of them for the main PF and 1 for the attic PF and 1 for the cellar PF

Ian

Ahh, that makes it a bit easy.  Mine was low number production (BH) and no pullups installed.  I've replaced all my PBB's with Rottendogs.  I've got about 4 originals which one of them I'll modify and use it for the lower pf up kicker.  From Pinrepair's guide they state is only required for HH but I'll do it anyway.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2009, 10:23:51 PM »

I also done the ground mods for system 80s boards, i found some of clays documents a little confusing, do you have to run a
ground wire from the power supply metal plate to the ground bus in the bottom of the cabinet, and also do you have to run a ground wire
from the power supply metal plate to the key lock in the machine head.

cheers Ian

some pics.

hey guys do i need to run a ground wire from the power supply bracket/board in the head to the ground bus in the cabinet.

Ian

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2009, 11:30:05 PM »

I also done the ground mods for system 80s boards, i found some of clays documents a little confusing, do you have to run a
ground wire from the power supply metal plate to the ground bus in the bottom of the cabinet, and also do you have to run a ground wire
from the power supply metal plate to the key lock in the machine head.

cheers Ian

some pics.

hey guys do i need to run a ground wire from the power supply bracket/board in the head to the ground bus in the cabinet.

Ian

Yes mate - From the ground bar on the power supply right through to the ground strip on the transformer board.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2009, 06:34:46 AM »
thanks Nino,i wasnt sure weather this was correct or not.

Ian

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2009, 05:23:46 AM »
Great work! Looks really good.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2009, 05:43:38 PM »
Well I got my HH going yesterday after a few problems, I have spent a couple of days trying to sort out a switch matrix problem, that was the only problem at the start.
I powered Haunted House up and started playing a game, the ball landed in the top kicker hole, but the ball did not kick out and did not score any points.I then tested some other targets and gates, none of them scored points.
I looked up the switch matrix in the manual and in Clays repair guides and found that I had two columns of switches not working, I swapped the 7400 chips with each other, no change, I swapped the 7404 chips with each other, no change, I swapped the RIOT chip with the one on the sound board, still no change, I checked continuity between the board and the connector plug, this checked out ok. I checked all the diodes, they were all ok.
I checked for broken wires under the PF and continuity between the A1-J6 plug and the switches involved under the PF, they checked out ok.

So I had spent about 5 to 6 hours on this problem, so I decided to pull the cpu out and take it upstairs in the warm and check every chip for continuity to the board, This board and the whole machine was working fine before the restoration, all I done was the ground mods and replaced the 5101 and cleaned the edge contacts, any way I had just about had enough after testing all the chips, but for some reason I decided to check the A1-J6 contacts for continuity further up the traces, one probe on the copper contact and the other end on the trace where it connects to a chip, BINGO two traces had no continuity, they had hair line cracks at the connecter, a bit of solder and the board is working fine again.

I done the mod to the up kicker by adding a pop bumper board to the lower PF, man this mod is defiantly worth doing the kicker has not missed kicking the ball first time every time, and it has a lot more powerful kick with it.

The other problem that developed after a couple of games was weak flippers, I adjusted the EOS switch witch has made a big difference.

I still have to de rust the legs and give the coin door a scrub.

The game plays so much better now that it has been re rubbered, it is very fast, a completely different game to six months ago.

Cheers Ian

pic... broken traces in the red circle.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »
It makes sense that the traces would break there, as any pressure on the board will be exerted in those sorts of areas.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2009, 08:36:44 PM »
Hi ive spent a few hours today with the ranex rust buster cleaning the rust from my legs with steel wool.
new leg levelers installed as well, i still have to remove the coin door and clean that up as well.
the game is playing good, but have had to adjust some switch gaps, and i keep having problems with a flipper going weak
after a few games.

Ian