Author Topic: Looking into restoring my Data East - Star Wars  (Read 13410 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Yes, members have used the flat protector full playfield product over defects/imperfect playfields no issues n haven't had a issue reported back yet, to me anyway or on that thread.
That product has worked a treat for good n bad playfields I hear. Give it a go n report back. Once its down its down but still easy to remove if its available for Star Wars, if not, email the seller n ask etc.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
you can get alot of the plastics separately here, not cheap but a reliable service.
http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=star%20wars&search_in_de******ion=1&sort=2a&page=2&language=english

and some hard to find treats here at random times - they have a proto type translite reverse image
http://www.ssbilliards.com/sale.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:16:06 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Dimsims

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
Was stripping the playfield tonight, until my back said no more  *.*

When I took the R2D2 and Death star motors out I found a cut wire on each:

Why would one have done this ?
Should I reconnect solder it back on ?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
That's a 1uF Capacitor 500V. The equivalent is part number "104Z 500V". Jaycar should stock it, but their web search function is horrible.

Might be worth waiting for someone else to chime in, but I'm sure I used these caps on my JP that was missing the cap.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
I think u are best doing everything and anything u can do to the machine cleaning wise etc.

Then, at the very end, any thing which needs doing, that u cant do, post some photos n questions on here, have a like minded Aussie Pinball member come over to your place with a carton in hand, get some technical help etc and then your machine should be AOK and ready to go, finished.

If not, u can do every thing u can do, and drop the machine off for a service (electronics wise) to one of a number of people and have it sorted that way.
Someone like Nino(Strangeways) shld know what he is doing and have your Star Wars kicking along nicely in no time for little money so to speak, pro-rata. My 2cents worth.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
That's a 1uF Capacitor 500V. The equivalent is part number "104Z 500V". Jaycar should stock it, but their web search function is horrible.

Might be worth waiting for someone else to chime in, but I'm sure I used these caps on my JP that was missing the cap.

Its a 0.1uF 500v ceramic cap. Jaycar dont have ceramics in anything bigger than 50 volt rating (not sure if the 500 volt rating is needed here or not).

They have  0.1uF 630 volt polyester cap that could probably be used without any problems.. link below;

http://search.jaycar.com.au/search?w=rg5210&view=list
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:11:11 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
Everywhere those caps are on the motors have been cut ?
I thing ive counted 4 or 5 so far  !@#
My question is why someone would cut them ?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
because they were too lazy to fix the real problem which may have occurred on a electronic board located probably in the headbox.

some people/operators who sited machines, turned off some mechanical items to save on proper maintainence.
also, this type of hack, would also cause low scores, rarely a free game and just plain stupidity on behalf of the dodgy operator.

when u have a serious issue like u currently have, u really need to take the machine and leave it with a professional who really knows his stuff with electronics/on a pinny. Its easy to rejoin the wires, but you might blow parts of a board, or it may just highlight the blown part of the board that already exists.

you need to test the motor on the item that has been separated by the cut wires independently, u need to see what part of the board runs that motor independently and so on.

I am lucky, cause I reckon I have the worlds best pinball tech who is a good mate only ten minutes away, but when u are in Melbourne, u need to ask someone like Nino, who he thinks is best to sort this problem out before u reconnect and cause more smoke/fire/god knows what extra problems.

You can always isolate the board via your manual that controls that motor, and send the board to someone like Beaky(Andy) who can check the board on a test rig and then put the board into a machine for real testing.

someone local really needs to spend a few hours with the machine who is experienced. will be well worth it in the end.
replace all fuses, check all boards etc etc etc. the safety list goes on and on...

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
Yeah I think ill do just that once its all rebuilt, I wont resolder them for now anyway.

Pulled all the bumpers and mechs off today:

Here are the bumpers, looking a bit sad and 2 broken bumper holders:

Here is the drop targets looking very dirty:

Here is part of the death star mechanism, very broken  !!!

Im dont think its possible to get another of these laying around, may have to do some plastic welding and glue.

Ive ordered a heap of parts including:

Playfield protector
Death Star target
Flipper rebuild kit
Rubber kit
New bumper housings
bumper bodies & skirts
Lamp sockets

Still got to look into what type springs and coil sleeves I need.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
The drop target assembly brackets are almost always broken. This is where you have to get "creative" !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
The drop target assembly brackets are almost always broken. This is where you have to get "creative" !

It looks similar to the one in Attack From Mars... Hmm

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
Been taking all the mylar off today using the "freeze Spray" Method, was very surprised how easy it comes off and didnt loose one speck of artwork  $#$

I also used the flour and alcohol method to get the glue off that the mylar left behind:

Around the pop bumpers where there was a big piece of mylar, now taken off and cleaned:

I have a few inserts that are raised here and there, you can see in the last pictures between the bumpers.
Would it hurt to knock them back in with a block of wood ?

Offline Dimsims

• Forum Posts:
  • Bass Coast, Vic
Today I got the holes ready for the cliffy protectors, I spend alot of time doing so as I was really careful with sanding so I didnt wreck any artwork.

Also here is a close up of a raised insert:

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Looking good so far.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
you are doing a great job.

stay on target (repeated over n over again on the Star Wars Trilogy machine.lol)

coming along quickly. u shld be proud of getting in and getting your hands dirty n all the great resto work so far. well done.