Author Topic: Learning photoshop  (Read 250 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Learning photoshop
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
Im wondering how everyone learnt how to use photoshop self taught or at a course.
Looking at what Eltimbo has done with his restores using photoshop has inspired me to learn.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Learning photoshop
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 08:51:46 AM »
I fumbled with it for a while, and during the HH restoration Wotto showed me a lot of stuff (which I have probably mostly forgotten as I haven't have much need to sue it since). Also googled a lot of questions when I was stuck. I think a course would be a great idea if there's one out there - a little structure to the learning and I think it wouldn;t be hard to get reasonable results.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:46:48 AM »
I fumbled with it for a while, and during the HH restoration Wotto showed me a lot of stuff (which I have probably mostly forgotten as I haven't have much need to sue it since). Also googled a lot of questions when I was stuck. I think a course would be a great idea if there's one out there - a little structure to the learning and I think it wouldn;t be hard to get reasonable results.

I agree with Nick, its good to have a play yourself.  I found of all things YouTube to be the best.  I would search for what I was trying to do, and sure enough there would be a video showing you step by step instructions on how to do it..

Marty Machine

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »
Although the 'obvious' features are soon discovered by going thru all the menus (as most of us have done)....i HIGHLY recommend mumble downloading mumble some of the tutorial vids from the "total training" series, or "lynda.com" series...

These tutorials go thru step-by-step showing you the menus and whats in them, navigating around the workspace right thru to advanced effects/layers/web-design....

They cover nearly all major software titles, and they mainly have 3 DVD's per title such as:
1) An introduction to "TITLE" ( aka "TITLE" for beginners" ).
2) "TITLE" essential training.
3) Advanced training for "TITLE".

The DVD's run between 2 to 4 hours, and some have 2-3 DVD's per title.....
The DVDs are a very FAST way to get to learn the program, as opposed to randomly flipping thru a book.

Anyone in VIC can pickup those DVD's at the Sunday computer swapmeets.... ;-)

MM.

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:47:17 PM »
Thanks for the replys, Marty i will look out for those DVDs i guess the first thing you need is a use for photoshop to keep you using it gaining confidence.

Marty Machine

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »
Thanks for the replys, Marty i will look out for those DVDs i guess the first thing you need is a use for photoshop to keep you using it gaining confidence.
Yep, you definately need a 'project' in mind, to keep you 'at it'.....
if you just go thru the dvds/books you get bored very easily coz you're not really making anything that YOU need to make...
If you set yourself some goals, like making a pinny logo, you can then work out how to do it, what methods to use, learn about layers etc.

Don't expect to be an overnight success, the whole idea of photoshop is to put some ideas up in the work area, and spend the next 100hours altering/distorting/gluing/colouring the whole thing until you're happy.

I can safely say to read all about LAYERS fairly early, and learn that your final picture (e.g. a pinny logo) is actually a combination of many small pieces of smaller pictures, shapes and text etc....

When you assign EACH small piece onto it's own layer, you have total control of that 1piece to adjust it without affecting everything else.....you can even move the layers under/ontop of other layers to get 'the look' you need...

good luck.